Valve Index Hands On

aileron

Setting up valve index in steam with oculus rift cv1 software still installed.

Just as a check I assume I just have to unplug the oculus headset and cameras. Is it just a matter of installing steam vr and plugging in the index headset. Does it work then and dcs uses the new installation. Or do I have to remove the oculus software first. Are there any things from the oculus installation that will impact the index performance.

Ideally would like to keep oculus set up until I know I am keeping the index for sure

Also do I need to cover any glazed pictures I have on the wall. My computer has glass on all three sides so assume I will have to cover these up to stop laser reflections.

Your experience is much appreciated

Thanks

I also keep Oculus software installed since I still use Revive to play Oculus games. To prevent Oculus software from loading automatically you can go to the app properties and set it to run as admin, or just leave it as is.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely it depends on various factors whether CPU usage is higher or lower for monitor cf VR.

For example, if the monitor DCS settings are everything maxed out and VSYNC off, then all headroom will be used up. It will be using all hardware resources that it can at all times. (Different if VSYNC on, obviously). Whereas, VR is effectively locked at 45fps for anything between 12ms and 22ms frame times, so a lot of the time, it’s not maxing out on GPU/CPU.

You were right, after the activation of VSYNC, the CPU usage went down (similar to observed in VR), but the performance is really good in 2D monitor using high settings.

So it seems that the CPU is capable of managing more power, but it doesn't happen for VR.

Did anyone get the Viper today besides me? It's very blurry to me and aliased. I turned on MSAA to 2x and it doesn't seem to make a difference. My buddy says his Index looks great. Mine has been getting warmer than normal the last few days and I'm getting worried about it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Valve Index Hands On

Mine looks about as good as the Hornet. The Harrier cockpit in VR still impresses me the most. I only played briefly, and won’t have much time until weekend. The FSSB R3L + F-16SGRH stick combo is simply awesome with this module.

My stick placement in the real world is right where it is in VR. Still need to do some tinkering with the physical throttle to match the VR Position.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Mine looks about as good as the Hornet. The Harrier cockpit in VR still impresses me the most. I only played briefly, and won’t have much time until weekend. The FSSB R3L + F-16SGRH stick combo is simply awesome with this module.

My stick placement in the real world is right where it is in VR. Still need to do some tinkering with the physical throttle to match the VR Position.

I so wanted to have my F16SGRH but they're still building it and are probably busy with the Viper launch. I know my buddy picked up an FSSB3L. The settings I have for the 18 on the FSSB3 were WAY too stiff for the Viper. I'm having to tweak them now. Like you I fly side stick and it's perfect. Can't understand why it looks worse than the 18 though. It's fuzzy is the best way to explain it. Time to tweak again..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Did anyone get the Viper today besides me? It's very blurry to me and aliased. I turned on MSAA to 2x and it doesn't seem to make a difference. My buddy says his Index looks great. Mine has been getting warmer than normal the last few days and I'm getting worried about it.

I didn't think it was particularly blurry or aliased. About on a par with the Hornet IMO, but as Supmua said, not as good as the Harrier, which I think is the clearest jet cockpit in VR. Just a pity there are so many things unfinished in that module, but that's another story altogether!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yeah, the bubble canopy of the F-16 is very impressive in VR. The surrounding view is fantastic. It's like sitting on a chair mounted on top of a rocket :). And DCS is running very good in VR on my machine at the moment (latest SteamVR beta and Nvidia drivers).

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

@Wicked @supmua @imacken

Could you please show me your fpsVR screen and PL usage? I'm feeling that something is wrong with my setup, but I'm a bit lost because I don't have any reference to look at, that is, I don't know what to expect... My main problem is the stuttering/ghosting effect, and right now if I want to avoid it to lower so much the graphical settings. I feel that is not happening for you, am I right?

Thanks!

@Wicked @supmua @imacken

Could you please show me your fpsVR screen and PL usage? I'm feeling that something is wrong with my setup, but I'm a bit lost because I don't have any reference to look at, that is, I don't know what to expect... My main problem is the stuttering/ghosting effect, and right now if I want to avoid it to lower so much the graphical settings. I feel that is not happening for you, am I right?

Thanks!

fpsVR at start of Hornet Free Flight Caucasus.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I see the Viper cockpit quite well, with the SS and MSAA settings.

Still with the CPU usage problems, it is like the CPU is top limited.

You should be getting similar VR performance based on your setup. Make sure there is no unnecessary background processes running. Also if you haven’t done so, do a stress test on your CPU and GPU to check on voltage and thermal limits that could result in throttling.

Sometimes it could be little things such as voltage or temp spikes that can result in milliseconds of throttling but that’s all it takes to cause stuttering. There’re also too many other variables that could affect performance (Storage speed, Virtual memory setting, RAM speed/quality/overclocking, background processes, task priorities, anti-virus or even virus/worm infection, how you setup DCS or SteamVR, etc.)

It’s been crazy at work, but I can post my settings and some numbers this weekend, after I push the F-16 module through its pace.

Edited by Supmua

Valve Index Hands On

8ceaa836739f39f91835b0a8e7eaff09.jpg

This is in Dubai which is probably one of the most stressful areas for VR. My GPU utilization is pretty high (sometimes 90+) in this area and the temp goes up accordingly. It used to hit 81F but now I have 3 fans blowing into GPU heatsink so that helps reduce max temp by 8-9 degree.

I’m running Process Lasso so not sure how much it affects CPU utilization pattern, still testing it.

Note my frametimes on both CPU and GPU, fairly smooth throughout.

Settings:

Index at 80 Hz

Textures/water high

Visibility med

Shadows low

MSAA off

SteamVR SS 150% global + 130% DCS

Edited by Supmua

Thank you for your answers, later on I will post my figures, but I'm surprised because I'm getting similar usages for the CPU and GPU. But on the other I'm affected by the stuttering, so it doesn't make sense for me.

I will review all the background processes and try to minimise the temperatures with maximum fan performance.

Nahemoth, I'll get a screen shot for you this evening.

Supmua, Imacken, the Harrier is by far the best looking pit in VR. It's gorgeous.

I'm beginning to think my Index is having issues and is why the Viper seems dark. The Index has been getting hot to the point the eye relief frame is almost burning me. I reported it to support and will see what they say.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you for your answers, later on I will post my figures, but I'm surprised because I'm getting similar usages for the CPU and GPU. But on the other I'm affected by the stuttering, so it doesn't make sense for me.

I will review all the background processes and try to minimise the temperatures with maximum fan performance.

Here is mine over Dubai. I don't use PL as I've never seen any benefit from it.

Nahemoth, I'll get a screen shot for you this evening.

Supmua, Imacken, the Harrier is by far the best looking pit in VR. It's gorgeous.

I'm beginning to think my Index is having issues and is why the Viper seems dark. The Index has been getting hot to the point the eye relief frame is almost burning me. I reported it to support and will see what they say.

To be honest, I'm beginning to agree with you. I just had a long session in the Hornet and then went back to the Viper. In comparison, the Viper did not look great. Washed out, very dark MPDs, fuzzy fonts, etc.

Maybe it's not your Index after all!

BTW, what about the new Spyglass Zoom and the modified normal zoom? Very interesting.

Could you try a simple test? While you are in those scenarios (e.g. Dubai), look to your wing and start turning around you. Do you see stuttering in the most external weapon?

When turning, yes. That is the re-projection effect. If we could run at native 90fps, then you wouldn't see that.

You'll see the same thing in passing aircraft in dogfights.

When turning, yes. That is the re-projection effect. If we could run at native 90fps, then you wouldn't see that.

You'll see the same thing in passing aircraft in dogfights.

Yes, it disappears when it runs at 90 FPS. So I have been seeing a normal effect all this time...! I was worried about my setup but it seems that it happens to all you.

Valve Index Hands On

With motion smoothing on you shouldn’t see stuttering or split image when your head is moving around, unless your frametime is not good enough. However, if your head is stationary for example in external view and an object spins around or changes direction quickly you will see the artifacts.

A good way to test this is fly low in Dubai in areas that have tall buildings on either side of your plane and move your head side to side quickly. With motion smoothing on the edges of these buildings should remain crisp. Now pause the game and go into external view and spin the plane around and the artifacts should become apparent.

Motion artifacts is one of the shortcomings of VR as we still don’t have hardware powerful enough to drive the headset to its full potential. Basically, I will need a setup that is twice as powerful as my current one to be able to run DCS on an Index at a solid 80 FPS in Dubai at my preferred settings.

And this is why I still fly in 2D on my 4K OLED TV, because everything simply looks amazing and super smooth with VSync on.

Edited by Supmua

With motion smoothing on you shouldn’t see stuttering or split image when your head is moving around, unless your frametime is not good enough. However, if your head is stationary for example in external view and an object spins around or changes direction quickly you will see the artifacts.

I assumed Nahemoth was referring to the aircraft turning, not his head.

In Dubai, in level flight, I don't see any ghosting artifacts from the wing missiles if I turn my head to the side. It's only visible when the aircraft is turning, when obviously, there are higher demands on hardware resources.

He called it both stuttering and ghosting. I don’t have stuttering, but ghosting yes only in certain situations as described. .

I was not referring to head movements, just when the aircraft is turning while you are looking to the wing. What is the name of this effect?

It's usually referred to as ghosting effects from reprojection.