Welcome all coming back need some help

TwoLate

Welcome all and thanks. After some real life issues I am now retired as of last month. I am coming back to fly again. I have flown since Lomac and Flaming Cliffs.

I have a 34 inch 4k curved Monitor from Alienware. I remember the old topic of dot visibility. Any suggestions on the setup for better visibility for flying props?

I have trackir and I am setting backup my custom snap views. I need help on system settings for better visibility. Thanks in advance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Only trick I know that makes aircraft easier to spot is turning antialiasing off. Maybe increasing gamma can help as well, I'm not sure.

Aircraft that are far away are rendered as light grey pixels, really hard to see but can some times spot them. Spotting aircraft in DCS is generally bad and has been for a very long time.

Only trick I know that makes aircraft easier to spot is turning antialiasing off. Maybe increasing gamma can help as well, I'm not sure.

Aircraft that are far away are rendered as light grey pixels, really hard to see but can some times spot them. Spotting aircraft in DCS is generally bad and has been for a very long time.

Actually this is something I never understood so maybe someone can enlighten me here. A far away plane is one or few pixel ... as it is in real life in your eyes matrix. I do not see how they could draw a bigger object without cheating. What is expected here?

I flew many times in a Cesna when I was in my 20's and I realized how difficult it is to spot another plane. Since that time, I raise my hat to all those WW2 pilots who had to do it without a radar.

Labels are there for those who do not want to bother spotting the aircraft. If you WANT to do it, then you will have to spot that pixel ...like it is in real life.

Do not get me wrong, I am not attacking anyone here. Just trying to understand what people want? What is the proposed fix for that? What is considered broken here?

What is broken is a pixel is NOT a standard size in the computer world.

Resolution: This is refers to the size of the pixel. The smaller the pixel, the higher the resolution.

What you may see at your monitor setting a pixel may look like the head of a pin. On a 4k monitor it will look like the point of the same pin.

That is the simple way to describe what the problem is.

In simple terms. For 4K you need 50-60 inch screen

Ok thanks. Since I have a 34 inch 4k would it be ok to say cut resolution in half to 2k with same 34 inch to equal a 1080 in 27 inch? And also thanks all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok thanks. Since I have a 34 inch 4k would it be ok to say cut resolution in half to 2k with same 34 inch to equal a 1080 in 27 inch? And also thanks all.

Yes.

I just cant understand ppl which buy 27inch 4k screen :) everything must be so ridiculous tiny

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 1 month later...

Trying to understand this since in next 3-4 months I will get a new screen and PC. It looks per above conversation that 4k stuff isn't really all that great for DCS. That could be a good thing as it will certainly reduce costs. I have a 24 screen now and think a 27 would be kind of a waste as it is not enough difference so have been looking at 30-32. Do I not want a 4k screen? Looking at this another way, would a 32 inch HD (not 4k or even 2k) screen run at the same 1920x1080 I run now help w/ spotting planes? Would things start looking pixelated w/ that setup.

Trying to understand this since in next 3-4 months I will get a new screen and PC. It looks per above conversation that 4k stuff isn't really all that great for DCS. That could be a good thing as it will certainly reduce costs. I have a 24 screen now and think a 27 would be kind of a waste as it is not enough difference so have been looking at 30-32. Do I not want a 4k screen? Looking at this another way, would a 32 inch HD (not 4k or even 2k) screen run at the same 1920x1080 I run now help w/ spotting planes? Would things start looking pixelated w/ that setup.

I use 32" 1440p screen, im not complaining about pixel size, i have 27" 1440p screen to, DCS looks better on this 27" but spotting is much harder

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor