Easier To Learn Jets?

Zulu111

I'm about finished learning the basics of operating the DCS P-51 and I want to try flying one of the more Modern jets. I was curious if any of them would be easier to learn and fly as the next step? By this I'm specifically looking at the F-86, F-15, and F-18.

Thanks.

The F-15 has no clickable cockpit and thus it would be a let down from the P-51 .. of the remaining two, without doubt the F-86 is easier to learn completely as it has very simple systems, however it has the disadvantage of DCS not having much on assets from the period 1950-1960 so creating believable missions for it is a big challenge.

So, my advice is to go with the F-18 .. it is easy to fly, and you can learn the wide array of sensors and weapons one by one .. it wil take a while but it is very fulfilling .. it has also the ability to operate from a Carrier, thus bringing another aspect of air warfare onto your missions.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I would not jump from the P-51 to the F-18, the contrast between them is too large. After an analogue airplane you get a flyable computer.

The F-86 is a good idea! Simple, easy to learn, fun to fly.

If you want something more complicated, I higly recomend the F-5E! Actually this is one of my favorite planes recently.

Russian planes are a bit harder to fly.

The F-5E is a great airplane to get into jets. It's not too complicated system wise, but has all the basics a combat jet needs.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have a soft spot for the F-18 as I am Canadian and our air force flies this jet as the CF-18. Is the F-18 a stable module to run in DCS, no code issues?

Go for the F-18 then. It's still not fully developed, but it has enough systems to use for missions. If by stable you mean crashes, I don't have problems with it, although it's not my main module so I might not be using it as often as some others.

My opinion when it comes to DCS is that while it can be complicated, nothing is really out of reach if you're willing to learn it. Especially if you plan to focus on one airframe. For the most part though the F-18 is pretty straight forward. Even if you don't master it, you can still enjoy it. One thing to keep in mind when coming from the P-51 is that the F-18 has many many more inputs to map. You can mitigate this somewhat with the clickable cockpit, but if you do like to bind controls to your flight stick, I suggest having one with many buttons. Perhaps also learn how to set buttons as modifiers in the DCS controls so you can effectively multiply the amount of buttons you have.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Yeah F18 for sure. As far as startup, takeoff, shoot guns... Not much harder than the P51. A good bit easier to take off actually...

But then you have quite a few more systems to learn after that and you can do so at your own pace.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I have a soft spot for the F-18 as I am Canadian and our air force flies this jet as the CF-18.

Canadian? .. I loved this TV show of yours :)

IF6kA56pwnc

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

The F-18 is definitely easier to learn.

But I would suggest you take on the F-5 next. That is, to really learn how to fly without the help an FBW. The good habits you pick up (and the bad habits you will NOT pick up) will serve you well in any jet for many years to come. Whereas not just the bad habits you pick up but the various important basic skills you will never really pick up in the F-18 will hurt you for many years to come as well if you go that route.

The F-5E is in my opinion the perfect full fidelity module to learn as being a 3rd generation fighter it's systems do not have the depth and complexity of say modules like the A-10C or the Hornet. It's a fun little aircraft to fly and learn the basics of flying and navigation, BFM techniques, along with some old school air to ground work thrown in for good measure.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

F-5E was my first module

1. F-5E is my recommendation if you plan to continue purchasing other modules later.
  2. Hornet, if you plan only to buy one in the foreseeable future.

After some lengthy consideration F-5E was my first module. Since I've got nearly all modules - and I would still recommend it as first. If you have a limited budget and plan to only get one - then I'd say F-18. I do agree with the criticism previous posters have presented about getting Hornet as the 1st jet. Though, if your budget is limited it will bring smiles for a long time and be suitable and competitive in a wide range of missions.

The F-5E is a great airplane to get into jets. It's not too complicated system wise, but has all the basics a combat jet needs.

There ought to be a free T-38.

X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick

Watch this series for opinions. It will give an (opinionated) snapshot view of all planes and helicopters.

He also really like the F-5 for a starter jet.

Since opinions are a dime a dozen, here's some more (caveat, I've haven't flown jets much at all, I'm into WW2 planes).

Every jet is simpler in the flying department than any tail dragger.

The Su-25T is free and included. Absolutely try it. It's a

and it's a pig in the air and to land because it is overweight. Other jets are on average easier. But if enjoying the flying aspect, it's rewarding to figure it out.

The F-15 is ridiculously easy maybe because it's an FC3 plane without an advanced fm. Then again the Mig-29 is also FC3 and it is tricky to land. I read somewhere that the Su-25T has an advanced fm unlike the other FC3 planes (I might be wrong).

The P-51 (once having learned to properly take advantage of the lockable tail wheel) is an order of magnitude easier than all the other taildraggers (never tried the Dora).

The Spitfire is my absolute favorite for pure flying. It has a very steep learning curve to takeoff and especially land but it is very rewarding. In the air it's viceless. To me the Spitfires flight model feels most 'real' and immersive of all planes in DCS.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

I find the F86 the easiest to fly and to me is the next logical step after prop planes, but I don't own the F18 or F5. The Mig15 is a bit more demanding to learn...

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Going to throw a curveball in & suggest Viggen, simple startup, can take waypoints off the map in mission if you don't want to work the computer out ( not that it's difficult ) and the weapons go from very simple to stimulatingly complex. Advantage over the F-5 is actual nav computer, otherwise the F-5 is fantastic ( if a bit *too* basic at times ).

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

... I'm specifically looking at the F-86, F-15, and F-18.

The OP was very specific about the aircrafts he is considering ... why is everyone suggesting something else instead?

I'd suggest the Hornet, while it does have many different digital systems to learn that you can get really deep into, simply flying the aircraft itself is going to be a breeze if you're already proficient at handling the P-51. All the different pages available for the three different cockpit displays might seem daunting at first, but getting the basics down (such as dropping dumb bombs, basic A/A engagements, etc) is not overly complex IMO. There are a ton of great official and third party tutorials and guides available online that can help you master the Hornet. I'd also make sure that your throttle and stick have enough buttons to map all of the F/A-18's HOTAS functions to as this will greatly increase your efficiency while flying it.

If you're worried about jumping straight from a warbird to a fully featured jet and want to ease yourself in you could also try learning the F-15 first. Since it's a Flaming Cliffs 3 aircraft it has no clickable cockpit and it's systems are very much simplified, but it can teach you a lot about A/A and will help you get acclimated to things systems like the RWR, HUD, radar display, etc. Unfortunately it lacks any A/G capability, so you might consider purchasing the whole FC3 bundle as you'll get a bunch of other 4th gen aircraft that can also take the fight to the ground. The free Su-25T will also definitely get the job done if you just want to learn the basics of A/G combat like CCIP/CCRP bombing, rocket and guns employment, and even SEAD.

why is everyone suggesting something else instead?
Because we are full of opinions eager to let out?

I have the F-15 and the F-86 so ...

The F-15, very easy to takeoff, land and also taxi. The Grim Reaper Capn' (video series I recommended) likes it a lot as a plane to learn the basics (systems) of modern jet combat. That's partly at least because it is an FC3 plane with less detailed systems). I've not learned it fully, the systems seems plenty detailed to me.

The F-86, slightly more difficult, but still very easy to takeoff, land. All it's handling problems stems from the awkward noose wheel steering. Learn to watch the Turn Indicator while taxiing. Noose wheel steering is very sensitive on takeoff and landing, therefore release it quickly on takeoff (rudder steering is much more stable) and only engage at very slow speed after landing. On landing it floats quite a bit, easy to overshoot at first. System wise it has some of the primitive prototypes to modern systems. You can of course, bomb and threw rockets like a WW2 plane.

Haven't got the Hornet. Only heard it is easy to fly but to fully learn all it's systems it is 'go to school' 400 page manual category.

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

The F-86 is fun and I enjoy it but it doesn't transfer much to the F-18. In dcs you don't need to advance and transition from simpler planes to more advanced. All you have to do is respawn. To me though doing that is part of the fun. If you don't want to go for a dedicated trainer like the C-101 or L-39 (both great) then the F-5 is the best jet trainer. But F-86, C-101, L-39, F-5, or F-18 what ever you pik you cant lose. They're all great.

The OP was very specific about the aircrafts he is considering ... why is everyone suggesting something else instead?

Because sometimes when there's a large amount of information you pick something you're vaguely familiar with to have a starting point - but there may be something remarkablel you miss by doing that until it's pointed out.

I haven't actually flown the F-86 in this sim, but Gen 1 jets aren't really all that different to mid-40s props systems-wise other than the obvious propulsion management. The F-18 is a UFO in comparison, and automation everywhere - does have the disadvantage as the modern multirole jet of making everything else redundant though.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

I suggested the Su-25T. I'll tell you why.

OP mentioned that they had flown the P-51 and was ready to move on to jets. They didn't mention which P-51 they were referencing, so I assumed they were talking about the free TF-51D, which is the unarmed version. It's possible this person hasn't bought a single module yet, and is enjoying flying the free aircraft and learning. If this is true then what we're really talking about is OP's first paid module.

OP said they wanted to "try" flying modern jets. They didn't know what aircraft to purchase, probably because they didn't know if they even liked flying jets, or what type of flying they want to do in jets.

Assuming this person has spent no money, I don't see why they should start when there's a free aircraft already installed which can give them a jet fighter experience. I'm further assuming OP doesn't know the Su-25T is available (no mention) or has forgotten about it. Maybe they don't like jets. Maybe they do. The good thing is they don't have to risk any money to at least dip their toes into flying jets.

If it's the TF-51D then this will also be the first aircraft which can launch weapons in the combat simulator. They can get experience with that too. If they don't load it with every weapon it can carry it handles really well, and it's CAS design makes it a good first jet.

I'm a fan of the Su-25T, and while OP didn't specifically ask about it, I thought it was good to remind them of it.

Edited by randomTOTEN