Which Tornado do you want? - Page 19 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #181
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKev View Post
I also recently learned, that the Tornado IDS has the Aim-9 Lima as the only weapon that is used as defence against air threads.
For the british, yes, but German (and maybe also Italian) Tornados are equipped with the remarkable IRIS-T missile, which we will get for the Eurofighter in DCS. It's still just a Fox 2, but a much better one than the AIM-9L. But A-A is still a last ressort and a Tornado does indeed rather use it's speed down low to gtfo.

Quote:
It is a realy interesting and capable Aircraft with an compelling story behind it.
It is indeed!

Quote:
My wish would be that Heatblur does a all around Tornado Module Pack
I just wish for the classic Cold War Tornado IDS and the ASSTA3 Tornado. I'm not really interested in the ADV, as I said before, as it is a weird step child that filled a role, which the basic airframe was never intended for. I would be interested in the Tornado ECR in theory, but DCS is way to limited in regards to Electronic Warfare, so you couldn't do much with it. If it's just about lobbing HARMs, then the IDS can do that just fine.

Quote:
or even some more pro's I did not manage to mention?
Yes, the most important one IMHO: Jester/Multicrewing, which they delivered for the F-14!

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 08-23-2020 at 05:35 PM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #182
MKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post

Yes, the most important one IMHO: Jester/Multicrewing, which they delivered for the F-14!
How could I forget that. True true.

I just heard in a documentary that the Tornado is capable of flying Automated in low altitude flight while evading terrain. Is this a Autopilot subroutine or is this something special? Would love to know more about it.

regards.

Lt. Mark "MKev" P. - Callsign: Rhino
Military Flight History: Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS, IL-2 & DCS
Streaming with passion: MilSim, Survival and more...
MKev_Gaming - "Gaming is my religion"
MKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:17 PM   #183
TLTeo

Regarding Tornado variants, the original Cold War IDS and the GR1 are basically the same - older INS, dumb bombs, TFR/ground mapping radar, AIM-9L for self defense only, 2 guns.

The British had two sub-variants of the GR1: the GR1A was a recon variant in which one gun was removed to make room for cameras, the GR1B was the anti-shipping variant which could carry the Sea Eagle. German and Italian IDS also had anti shipping capabilities, but they carried the Kormoran instead. Also, British GR1s could carry the ALARM anti-radiation missile, while Italian and German ones could not. Finally, both countermeasure/ECM pods and the anti-runway cluster munition used by British and German/Italian Tornadoes were a bit different, but I couldn't tell you how.

Over time all operators upgraded their jets in similar ways. They all got targeting pods (although not that depends on the operator), LGBs, JDAM and Storm Shadow and went from being low level strikers to mid level, standoff range platforms. The main differences between the British GR4 and the Italian/German ones are
a) the British ones carry the Brimstone missile, while Italian ones a similar precision strike role use the SDB (not sure about German jets)
b) the British Tornadoes lost the ability to fire the ALARM, while Italian and German ones gained the ability to fire both the HARM and, in case of the Italian ones, the AGM-88E AARGM
c) the British jets have a flir/laser spot tracker under the nose, for which a gun also had to be removed. This means that the GR4A (GR1A upgrades) have no guns. German and Italian Tornadoes retain both guns
d) the GR4 never carried the ASRAAM as far as I know, while Italian and German jets carry the IRIS-T now.
e) all three got GPS receivers, better INS, and datalink

Saudi jets also have been upgraded to similar standards, but I'm not sure how. That's the gist of it.

edit: regarding the autopilot, it's similar to the F-111. You set the altitude at which you want to navigate (a few hundreds of feet or whatever), and the autopilot just takes over and, using information from the TFR and INS, flies the jet to the target without needing inputs from the pilot (although they still need to pay attention obviously). This is what gave the Tornado its all weather, day and night capability during the Cold War, and its main mission during the first part of Desert Storm.
TLTeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:45 AM   #184
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
I just heard in a documentary that the Tornado is capable of flying Automated in low altitude flight while evading terrain. Is this a Autopilot subroutine or is this something special? Would love to know more about it.
Yes, that's a feature of the Terrain Following Radar (TFR). It has an autopilot function that allows the aircraft to do hands off low level flying, even at night. AFAIK, you can select the ride height, as well as the ride mode (soft, medium, hard), which changes how hard the aircraft tries to follow the terrain.

Here's a video on the same functions in the F-111:

Old 08-24-2020, 07:09 AM   #185
QuiGon
Veteran

Some things to add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTeo View Post
Regarding Tornado variants, the original Cold War IDS and the GR1 are basically the same
Just something to clearify about the terminology: IDS stands for Interdiction Strike and refers to all the strike Tornados, meaning the non-ECR and non-ADV Tornados. GR.X is just how the british designate their strike aircraft, but the british GR.X Tornados are IDS Tornados.

Quote:
Also, British GR1s could carry the ALARM anti-radiation missile, while Italian and German ones could not.
Indeed, they carry the HARM instead, as you mentioned later.

Quote:
Finally, both countermeasure/ECM pods and the anti-runway cluster munition used by British and German/Italian Tornadoes were a bit different, but I couldn't tell you how.
Here's how the German(/Italian?) anti runway dispenser looked like in action. It was made for low level delivery, just like the british JP-233:

Quote:
They all got targeting pods (although not that depends on the operator), LGBs, JDAM and Storm Shadow
No Storm Shadow for the German Tornado. They use KEPD Taurus instead, which is a very similar weapon but different development.

Quote:
a) the British ones carry the Brimstone missile, while Italian ones a similar precision strike role use the SDB (not sure about German jets)
German Tornados unfortunately neither carry Brimstones nor SDB.

Quote:
b) the British Tornadoes lost the ability to fire the ALARM, while Italian and German ones gained the ability to fire both the HARM and, in case of the Italian ones, the AGM-88E AARGM
Germany is currently procurring the AGM-88E AARGM for their Tornados as well.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #186
MKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Some things to add:

Just something to clearify about the terminology: IDS stands for Interdiction Strike and refers to all the strike Tornados, meaning the non-ECR and non-ADV Tornados. GR.X is just how the british designate their strike aircraft, but the british GR.X Tornados are IDS Tornados.

Indeed, they carry the HARM instead, as you mentioned later.

Here's how the German(/Italian?) anti runway dispenser looked like in action. It was made for low level delivery, just like the british JP-233:

No Storm Shadow for the German Tornado. They use KEPD Taurus instead, which is a very similar weapon but different development.

German Tornados unfortunately neither carry Brimstones nor SDB.

Germany is currently procurring the AGM-88E AARGM for their Tornados as well.

Nice Information. Can u please add this video to the video thread and do you have some more weapon information videos on the tornados capabilities?

Lt. Mark "MKev" P. - Callsign: Rhino
Military Flight History: Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS, IL-2 & DCS
Streaming with passion: MilSim, Survival and more...
MKev_Gaming - "Gaming is my religion"
MKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #187
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
do you have some more weapon information videos on the tornados capabilities?
The RAF video I linked in the other thread shows some great footage of dumb bomb delivery, especially with loft/toss delivery. Most of my other video sources are in German, like this one on the Taurus cruise missile:

Old 08-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #188
Antartis

I see three topics about with Tornado Did I miss something and is it official that the Heatblur will develop the aircraft?

I hope this is true, but I do not want to have false hopes and be disappointed
Evga rtx 2070
Ssd samgung 960 evo m.2 500gb

Syria, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944
Combined Arms
A-10C, Mirage-2000C, F-16C, FC3
Spitfire LF Mk. IX
UH-1H, Gazelle
Antartis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #189
Thinder

Tornado ECR, it would be the most interesting to play, the "Wild Weasel" role is very much forgotten in DCS...
MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX AMD Ryzen B450 ATX DDR4 Motherboard, Ryzen 3 3200G Quad-Core 4.0GHz, EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, 32GB Kit DDR4-3200, 22' Samsung, Oculus Rift CV1. Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS.
Mirage 2000C, F-15C, Mig-29, A4E.
Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes.
So far so good...
Thinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #190
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartis View Post
I see three topics about with Tornado Did I miss something and is it official that the Heatblur will develop the aircraft?

I hope this is true, but I do not want to have false hopes and be disappointed
Unfortunately not
MKev has just started posting in various Tornado threads

Tags
hl³ confirmed