Which Tornado do you want? - Page 13 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #121
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbirder View Post
In my van - the bags of cement are in the back!

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #122
TLTeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbirder View Post
I'm sure its been mentioned up-thread...but whats the difference between the original ADVs and my van?

In my van - the bags of cement are in the back!

hahahaha
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #123
joey45
Veteran

Early F2 had the blue circle radar.....
"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."
Please send all hate mail to No11
Updates to my stuff are now going here
joey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #124
TheCabal

IDS!
TheCabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #125
mkellytx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTeo View Post
Later in its life the F3 got AMRAAMs too, so between the good radar and lowered workload by having the RIO I can see it being a fair match for an Eagle in BVR. Obviously if the Eagle gets to the merge, it's over.
Not quite, the F3 implementation lacked the mid course updates and didn't use the full capability of the AMRAAM, but it was better than Sky Flash. They could and did carry ALARM's though...
mkellytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #126
TLTeo

Uh, didn't know that. I feel bad for the F3, it feels like it tries to not disappoint and just...can't.
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #127
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTeo View Post
Uh, didn't know that. I feel bad for the F3, it feels like it tries to not disappoint and just...can't.
Well said

Old 02-08-2020, 10:52 PM   #128
Mike Wazowsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
I find that hard to believe

Are you saying a Tornado can outmaneuver an Eagle in a dogfight? How should that work? The Tornado is quite maneuverable for a Bomber, but not compared to a fighter and especially not to the Eagle.
Or are you talking about BVR? Even then I can not see how a Tornado would be superior with Fox1s against an Eagle with Fox3s, unless we're talking about the early Fox1-Eagles.
QuiGon, what TLTeo said... Spot on!
Also, along with the AMRAAM came the ASRAAM, with a different approach from the AIM-9 series (more legs, less maneuver, awesome sensor) and it kicked like a mule.
True story... an RAF Squadron I knew very well went for a two-week brawl with a very well renowned Eagle wing from the US East Coast, circa 2004. They played blue-air / red-air alternatively. Even if Tornados simulated Skyflashes (similar to AIM-7M) when blue air, the final score was 38-20 for the Brits ;-) Jeremiah Weed did flow... Oh, and just to make the story more colorful, during the same period of time, at nearby NAS Oceana, the very last Tomcat RAG (now called FRS) class threw a hell of a party... Those Brits (and one Italian) enjoyed that VERY much!
Mike Wazowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #129
Bananabrai

After I lately had a bad time finding SA-9 and -13s and got my a** kicked, I add a late GR.1A to my wish of a late GR.1B.
It would really be quite a new element for DCS to do some RECON and look at the tapes.
And while taking pictures of the enemy sending off some ALARMS in Loiter mode would be amusing at least.

Carrying the same weapons as the GR.1 but without internal guns, it is nearly as capable.
I think with the Tornado it should be possible to bring out multiple IDS variants, like a GR.1 + A + B combo, like the F-14 combo.

Until that happens: I feel the need, the need for TARPS...
Old 02-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #130
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananabrai View Post
After I lately had a bad time finding SA-9 and -13s and got my a** kicked, I add a late GR.1A to my wish of a late GR.1B.
It would really be quite a new element for DCS to do some RECON and look at the tapes.
And while taking pictures of the enemy sending off some ALARMS in Loiter mode would be amusing at least.

Carrying the same weapons as the GR.1 but without internal guns, it is nearly as capable.
I think with the Tornado it should be possible to bring out multiple IDS variants, like a GR.1 + A + B combo, like the F-14 combo.

Until that happens: I feel the need, the need for TARPS...
I don't quite understand what you want to do with recon capabilities in DCS? DCS does not provide any framework to make use of such reconaissance assets.

Tags
hl³ confirmed