damage model

FoxDelta

did something happen to the DORAs DM?

after the 2.1.1 update i sufferd from engine idles after getting minor hits over and over.

just a few rounds killed the enginge, the pilot the whole A/C.

engine sound is strange too

is this just my dcs or due to the update, should i try a repair?

Something wrong is with engine sound only, fortunately.

All engine parameters were OK but sound was weird immediately after i set TO power, with engine right warmed up, now on BS server when i tried Fw there.

Engine sounds like when oil is overheated, at least this exactly sound went from my Mustang`s overheat engine with oil temperature far behind red line..

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

repair changed nothing. so its the update.

the sound is weird, but yesterday the engine got killed 8 times!!! (idle not stuck) after first few hits!

before the update, a hit making the engine idle was 1 of 30 or more

The "failing engine" sound might be just that - an incorrect sound sample playing all the time for some reason (which would be only a "cosmetic" bug)... or some actual damage algorithm kicking in too early (which would be a serious bug). More test flights at various settings will be necessary.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

There seems to be something wrong with the FW190 damage model, at least when it comes to taking damage from the spitfire. Any damage from the Spitfire disables the engine.

The FW190's engine also seems to be less reliable in general.

exactly the behaviour i observed. few rounds from a spit and the engine dies

not only few rounds from Spitfire, AAA has the same result, yesterday i flew close to AAA (did not know about them), i just saw few tracers comming from ground

i did not hear any hits in my Fw and engine suddenly went down...

all parameters were in limits and i did not over stressed it, i suppose i was hit by AAA

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Yesterday I updated OpenBeta 1.5.7.7631 and it has the same problem as DCS 2.1. One bullet coming from the spitfire hits the FW190 and its engine does not work anymore!!!!

The sound is as if the engine were about to die

How do you know it was just 1 bullet?

Given that the spitfire has 4 machines guns and 2 cannon; in just 0.25 seconds of fire you could recieve 5 canon rounds and 16 MG rounds.

And even if it was just one round that hit you, maybe it hit your engine.

This is what one 20mm canon round can do to an engine:

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

How do you know it was just 1 bullet?

Given that the spitfire has 4 machines guns and 2 cannon; in just 0.25 seconds of fire you could recieve 5 canon rounds and 16 MG rounds.

And even if it was just one round that hit you, maybe it hit your engine.

This is what one 20mm canon round can do to an engine:

Hi Phil,

i think this is not the problem, its the distance at this happens, at least for me. Its way out of 20mm range when you see spits open fire. its more in the 400m - 600m range. You fly, see a long range six ID it as Spits, you see in zoom that he fires, bam engin death not like in 1.5 with different engine or other damaged, its simply out. On the other side, when i compare the damage between 1.5 and 2.1, the p-51 and the Spit eats 20mm and 30mm like nothing in 2.1. Where the Spits can take more. Most of the time you can see withe and black smoke on p-51 and Spits and they fly for hours. Also the funny thing is even when you fire only the big guns on 190/109 ( 20mm / 30mm ) and you see 5 or more hitflashes nothing happens realy. The 13mm are most of the time the bullets, that produce the black and withe smoke.

The Spit and FW should get up to the same count of 20mm in 0,25 sec. to the target, in convergence. With the different that even with the Fw190 wingguns at close range you should get better hit result, than in Spit, as the spit guns are realy wingmounten. But we dont get the same result, also it makes no different at witch angle the Spit hits you, always goes the engin out. To compare all guns we should go better to a 2 second burst than 0,25 sec. Also if we would get the same result when we hit you in your Spit or in p-51 all would be ok.

Phil, we can discus it on TS, i think it would make it easyer and better to understand where the problem is.

regards

Little_D

1./JG2_Little_D

Staffelkapitän

1./Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Go for the leader, if you can. The path is the goal, the kill the result."

"The one who has 12, leads. The one who has six, follows."

YouTube Channel: 1./JG2 Filmkanal

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the D is having pains like the Stang's governor has had for years.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

• 3 weeks later...
Is it me or the problem is still there ?

Haven't fought the Spitfire, but in the strafe mission in the 190 training campaign I've had the flak just knock my engine out several times in a row.

The engine doesn't seize, it just goes to tickover. It even seems to provide a tiny amount of power, making an off strip landing slightly easier than a total dead stick situation.

Haven't fought the Spitfire, but in the strafe mission in the 190 training campaign I've had the flak just knock my engine out several times in a row.

The engine doesn't seize, it just goes to tickover. It even seems to provide a tiny amount of power, making an off strip landing slightly easier than a total dead stick situation.

This is standard behaviour now.. One tiny hit and the engine stops, sometimes it can revive (after taking some more hits.. weird) but often it just slowly dies out.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I agree with Reflected, new damage model cant come soon enough.

There are some other engine issues I hope get addressed that are annoying as hell.

I fly mainly Dora and P51 so obviously will notice things more than others.

Dora WEP, leading to engine failure. I just hardly use it anymore unless im desperate to get hope. So many times you can run WEP in a fight, disengage be flying around, all temps and pressures bang on then suddenly engine seizes! Its annoying.

In the manual it says you can run WEP for 10mins then cooldown for min 5mins and can run wep again for 10mins.

I tried this. Ran it for 10, cooled down for 6mins then ran again. Got to 4mins into 2nd run all temps/pressures bang on, suddenly engine gone.

Same with the P51, running 67" and its a gamble how long the engine lasts. Have experienced (and others) running 67" come off back to 61" flying around all in the green and suddenly engine will die.

I had it landing had been 2700/46" into the break on down leg all temps fine, bang, engine seized. My friend once landed shutdown n AF, few mins sitting there heard the engine seize sound.

Its screwed. Bud Anderson in a 51 WW2 blew his header tank before takeoff and still flew a 6 hour mission!

If your interested in a realism WWII squad, drop by our Discord.

https://discordapp.com/invite/BK7kxZx

• ED Team
noticed some weird thing about the doras engine failure on first hit.

i got hit by flak once engine died (classic=) - turned back in to kamikaze his a*s got shot again and it magically repaired my engine LOL.

happened to me twice now!

That would have been a good track to have saved...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Slightly off topic but I wish I was recording when shooting a spacefire, he went from smoking white, to not smoking, to smoking black, then smoking black and white, then smoking two whites and a black in the middle then returned to base. Each change in smoke was after a new hit. Lol new DM needs to arrive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

That would have been a good track to have saved...

Hi SiThSpAwN,

it happens often, so when i have it the next time and a shadowplay track running and it happens i will upload it. Happens with Spit and P-51, both planes can shoot my engine off and on aghain :-). In the moment i try to avoid getting hit in the FW, so it will take maby some time.

regards

Little_D

1./JG2_Little_D

Staffelkapitän

1./Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Go for the leader, if you can. The path is the goal, the kill the result."

"The one who has 12, leads. The one who has six, follows."

YouTube Channel: 1./JG2 Filmkanal

• 4 weeks later...

yes. but first it came up in 2.x.x

unfortunately i am not very sure that someone is trying to fix that. some people told me to shut up and wait for the new damage model. which comes in..., a year, 2 years???

sometimes its very frustrating