[REPORTED] MG 131 muzzle flash effects overdone

rel4y

Looking at the Normandy footage on youtube the MG 131 looks like a flame thrower. The muzzle flash effect is ridiculously overdone. The MG 131 had flash hiders installed and even without these you can barely see the flash of a 50 cal from behind when firing in daylight.

First of all you cant look at frames/pictures taken with normal cameras as reference, as the "long" shutter time and exposure will make the muzzle flash seem huge. In reality the combustion is expanding and also extending away from the muzzle until the residual powder/ gases are burned up.

Second and more important the flash is there only for a tiny fraction of time. The Mg 131 has 900 rpm, thats 15 rps or roughly a shot every 67 ms in theory. The muzzle flash "burns" for around 1 to 1.5 ms. So thats ~2% of total cycle time.

The DCS muzzle flash animation covers several frames. At 60 fps or roughly a frame every 17 ms even if the flash animation was only rendered for one frame (=17 ms) per shot it would still be 1133-1700% too long compared to reality. Now that it covers several frames there is basically a continous rendering of gigantic flame thrower muzzle flash sprites in front of the gunsight.

Please ED, be reasonable and fix this. It is ridiculous that you cant see where you are heading when shooting the MGs in daylight.

(At night its a different story, because you basically hyperpolarize the membrane potential of the sensitized rod cells and it takes about 10-15 min to depolarize it to high sensitivity/ low light potential again.)

Same applies btw to the P-51, which luckily doesnt have the guns in front of its gunsight.

Take a look here: (eg 15:50, 16:40)

Not really relevant for reasons explained above, but interesting nontheless. The camera doesnt even capture the muzzle flash.

Edited by rel4y

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

I had the same feeling about the 'flame thrower'..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Yes think the same looking really overdone, you getting blinded from firing looks like muzzle flash fired in the Night....

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

That was the first thing which caught my eye when the first Wag's stream was up. Flash hiders or not, the frequency of flashes doesn't even roughly match the rate of fire, and judging from recent vids uploaded by backers, the effect applies to all aircraft in the test build - You should post it in general WWII section of the forum I'd say.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

+1

How does this even happen?

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

The muzzle flash effect has changed; compare external footage showing something like the Spitfire firing in the 2.1alpha to what we have now in 1.5 and it's VERY different. I prefer the current 1.5 effect personally.

Nah, it clearly is completely different. Not only the colour (one could argue that might be the result of new lighting, though I doubt it) but the texture size and animation frequency as well. Probably new effect created for modern high ROF guns, but not really suitable for WWII ones.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 3 weeks later...

This wasn't fixed for 2.1. FW 190 is in the hangar.:(

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

As far as I can see this a deferred lighting issue - with it off muzzle flash effects are as previous versions.

It has been mentioned by Wags in the update videos prior to release that all the effects are slated to be updated for the new engine at some point. One assumes/hopes that the muzzle flash issues are rendered defunct with this update.

Until then it's put up with it or switch off deferred lighting.

As far as I can see this a deferred lighting issue - with it off muzzle flash effects are as previous versions.

It has been mentioned by Wags in the update videos prior to release that all the effects are slated to be updated for the new engine at some point. One assumes/hopes that the muzzle flash issues are rendered defunct with this update.

Until then it's put up with it or switch off deferred lighting.

I agree , until they release the fix it is best to keep this option off..

:pilotfly:

• 6 months later...

Anyone know where the files are located so that maybe someone can make a mod or maybe we can just delete them till a proper fix arrives?

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

At night they should blind the pilot, but during day 1pm flights that's excessive.

But in fact, and the problem is still present even though months have passed since it appeared.

Let's see when the 2.5 comes out if they solve, this DF seems to be still in a very unripe stage ...

:thumbup:

Yup, real-life muzzle flashes don't obstruct visibility in the day (as OP said, because of extremely brief duration), regardless of caliber or barrel length. Even machine guns with recoil compensators which vent upward (across the sights) aren't a problem except at night. Haven't shot .50 cal personally IRL, but I've fired a number of smaller calibers and have seen .50 fired from a close distance.

• ED Team

I believe it was reported a while back, most muzzle flashes look identical and look like we see in the OP, I think effects are all still WIP so its possible they just havent got back to them.

Edit: I have bumped the bug report.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png