Revisiting the Dora

NineLine

I was fortunate enough to meet Erich last year at Duxford. Back then he struck me as being somebody rather special. This wonderful video reaffirms that feeling. Look forward to the next fascinating installment. Many thanks.

Asus Z390 Code XI, i9-9900K, RAM 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance @ 3200, RTX 2080 TI FE, TIR 5, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, HOTAS WH, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, HTC Vive Pro, Win 10 x64

Its not a first interview with German pilots saying FW`s A or D variants were turning better than 109. I hope that would be noted by ED.

It may be due to couple of reasons. For one, he might have fought in 109G6 and Fw190A6 at eastern front against Soviet planes, which were much better at tight turning at low speeds, than the P-51D. I would assume he fought western allies in his Fw190D9, meaning that he might have mostly fought P-47s, P-51s and Tempests.

Secondly, he might also be talking about different altitudes, Fw190D9 is much better high alt performer than both his previous airplanes at that hight.

The third option is that he just felt more comfortable in the airplane than in previous 109s and 190s.

Either way, I am realy hyped for the second part and can't wait too hear more :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I don't know if like how there are two discussions about it. Why though?:huh:

The overall thing was chaotic, but thats normall when you love something and you have so much exprience with it. :)

So, many statements blend in together about A6/Bf109G/D9. So people have to watch out carefuly what the pilot was talking about.

I realy liked the description of landing approach and its like droping from 5th/7th floor :P @Nedum About the "wing doesn't drop" thing. He said that during landing at 180kph when you do the 3-point landing, the plane just drops on the ground evenly... but also very hard.

I loved every second of him talking and want more :)

Edited by Solty

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

This interview is amazing. I wish more people from those times were willing to go through it... or were allive to do it.

I must commed ED for showing this to public. It is a treasure that should be shown to all of humanity. Great job.

I wish somebody made such interviews with other pilots. I've seen only one similar venture with Bud Anderson. But interviewer didn't ask to much about P-51's flight characteristics.

There are many videos with US pilots and some with British but I haven't found alot of German, Japanese, or Russian pilot videos yet.

Heinz did die some years ago (aged in the 80s). They stayed friends. The whole JG51 did meet as well every year, but in the meantime only very few are alive.

Quax

Thanks. I love to hear more from the other side of that war.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

There are many videos with US pilots and some with British but I haven't found alot of German, Japanese, or Russian pilot videos yet.

I've seen Willy Reshke talk about 190 and 109. I saw Gunther Rall speak about 109s and he had a pannel in Finland about his flying.

I've seen one Japanese pilot and some I remember seeing some Russian pilots talk about it in some TV shows. US Pilots though? Only Bud Anderson and stuff that was very brief in Dogfights serries. There is one short part from an interview with Gabreski.

All these are different from this one because they do not focus on the aircraft as much as Germans. The most was from Anderson, as he said he knew that P-51B was faster and more maneuvrable than Bf109G at around 25-30 thousand feet.

My channel:

I don't know if like how there are two discussions about it. Why though?:huh:

The overall thing was chaotic, but thats normall when you love something and you have so much exprience with it. :)

So, many statements blend in together about A6/Bf109G/D9. So people have to watch out carefuly what the pilot was talking about.

I realy liked the description of landing approach and its like droping from 5th/7th floor :P @Nedum About the "wing doesn't drop" thing. He said that during landing at 180kph when you do the 3-point landing, the plane just drops on the ground evenly... but also very hard.

I loved every second of him talking and want more :)

No I was talking about the first time he was steering the D9 in a loop.

He said very clear he had never this "shiver" of the wings even the plane stalls and the same about the rolling behavior. That his D9 never was snap roll so suddenly over the wingtip evern at low speeds. ;)

• Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

I've seen Willy Reshke talk about 190 and 109. I saw Gunther Rall speak about 109s and he had a pannel in Finland about his flying.

I've seen one Japanese pilot and some I remember seeing some Russian pilots talk about it in some TV shows. US Pilots though? Only Bud Anderson and stuff that was very brief in Dogfights serries. There is one short part from an interview with Gabreski.

All these are different from this one because they do not focus on the aircraft as much as Germans. The most was from Anderson, as he said he knew that P-51B was faster and more maneuvrable than Bf109G at around 25-30 thousand feet.

I've seen the one with Gunther Rall. There are dozens of videos with many US pilots in different planes. There are plenty of these videos by this museum and they are interviewing whatever pilots they can before they are all gone. They had a hour and half interview with Bud Anderson.

No I was talking about the first time he was steering the D9 in a loop.

He said very clear he had never this "shiver" of the wings even the plane stalls and the same about the rolling behavior. That his D9 never was snap roll so suddenly over the wingtip evern at low speeds. ;)

See post #56.

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

I've seen the Anderson one, but not these. Thx mate.

I've seen the one with Gunther Rall. There are dozens of videos with many US pilots in different planes. There are plenty of these videos by this museum and they are interviewing whatever pilots they can before they are all gone. They had a hour and half interview with Bud Anderson.

Edited by Solty

My channel:

(re: Message #1)

Hi,

I just found this video posted in "Official Updates" and watched it through.

Good stuff.

Dora is my favorite fixed wing aircraft in DCS. I have most of the DCS jets, all 3 copters, the Korea jets, and the 3 WWII era planes.

The California Crab is how I have been flying the WWII era sim planes even before I found DCS. It is performed by me just as Erich describes, not only to lose speed quickly at landing, but can drop altitude really fast and is a great way to force an overshoot for the less experienced guy on my six. Pretty hard to successfully try that with the more experienced guys. There is a local guy that tows gliders here in my town. On his way down, after the glider releases, he can lose altitude very, very quickly doing that maneuver even with more dropped wing.

Good info in the video to use in game.

Yeah, I need the English captions, though my heritage is from Germany.

Thanks.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Whow! I didn't even guess that many !!!!

Ok, can we dream about having each of those modeled on day in DCS :-)

The "T6" would be one of my favorite :-)

Sure! Sounds good to me. Start working on the Corsair, now.

Don't know if I am going to last that long before everything comes out, though. I am age 63, might have 20 years left, less if dementia kicks in. :)

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Before, a number of changes were made because of this discussion.

I noticed the interviewer was asking Erich specific questions concerning the flying, taxiing, takeoff and landing characteristics of the plane he flew. They were picking his brains.

Took me forever to get the P-51 down. Even with that under my belt, the Dora was the hardest to learn to date of the fixed wing aircraft and landing it was the issue. Me, too, I don't touch the brakes, just let her roll out.

I wonder how the DCS sim flies now with Erich at the controls since changes were made? Is he happy with her, now?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
I noticed the interviewer was asking Erich specific questions concerning the flying, taxiing, takeoff and landing characteristics of the plane he flew. They were picking his brains.

Took me forever to get the P-51 down. Even with that under my belt, the Dora was the hardest to learn to date of the fixed wing aircraft and landing it was the issue. Me, too, I don't touch the brakes, just let her roll out.

I wonder how the DCS sim flies now with Erich at the controls since changes were made? Is he happy with her, now?

I am not sure he has flown it again, I'll tell you though... I was much happier after the Erich changes :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

TBH some of the landing problems with the Dora seemed to be bugs (tailwheel bug) or FM issues that were resolved. Once you get used to these props landings aren't really that bad but they usually do require concentration.

I watched the video, The only thing I can really say is that I took what he said about both aircraft's behavior and put it to use in DCS. I did all of the things that he said to do for both and it worked very well. The whole thing about not using brakes for takeoff, and just full throttle with hard rudder. Worked like a charm. For all of the folks who have a hard time and have shelved these two planes, try this guy's advice. It was pretty easy to take off and land using his input. Everything....manifold pressure at .9 - 1.2. I never knew and it works great. The video in question instantaneously made my experience with both planes a whole lot more pleasant. So if you are one of those "Man I can't take off worth a darn in this plane" guys.....watch the video and listen to everything the man says.

Thanks so much for this guys

I watched the video, The only thing I can really say is that I took what he said about both aircraft's behavior and put it to use in DCS. I did all of the things that he said to do for both and it worked very well. The whole thing about not using brakes for takeoff, and just full throttle with hard rudder. Worked like a charm. For all of the folks who have a hard time and have shelved these two planes, try this guy's advice. It was pretty easy to take off and land using his input. Everything....manifold pressure at .9 - 1.2. I never knew and it works great. The video in question instantaneously made my experience with both planes a whole lot more pleasant. So if you are one of those "Man I can't take off worth a darn in this plane" guys.....watch the video and listen to everything the man says.

Thanks so much for this guys

+1

I took his advice too, and even if I had learnt to take off and land in the two planes, his advice made it much easier and more consistent.

Especially the big side slip to get the Bf-109 down has helped me.

But also using "only" ATA 1.2 has helped me getting a much more enjoyable and stable flight.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use