How to Land the Dora

wolle

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feels the same to me...........................I'm still grappling with the Spit

I took off and landed it twice out of 2 attempts with no drama in MP. I can hardly taxi the Spit, but I haven't spent much time on it (figuring nav in the MiG-21 right now)

I thought the Dora was the hardest of the game of the modules I use regularly, but the Spit is another level for me at the moment

I have just revived my Dora after flying Bf-109 almost exclusively, and then putting in some flight hours with the Spit. I must say that the Dora feels better than ever; and landing it feels easier now, after struggling with the Spit which is hard to taxi and to land due to missing tail wheel lock.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 5 months later...
I have just revived my Dora after flying Bf-109 almost exclusively, and then putting in some flight hours with the Spit. I must say that the Dora feels better than ever; and landing it feels easier now, after struggling with the Spit which is hard to taxi and to land due to missing tail wheel lock.

I like the Dora however the muzzle flash looks really unpolished, immersion breaker, hopefully it will get addressed.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

• 1 month later...
I've found that landing is easier if I turn off the gun-sight. One less distraction I suppose.

Yes, I also used to dim it. I also used to freeze the TrackIR during the final landing phase. With the TrackIR active, the view tends to jump up and down when you look at the instruments (speed and vertical speed) and that caused me to make involontairy stick movements which didn't help.

With more routine, I leave gunsight and TrackIR alone, but I have to use full concentration to land the Dora.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 year later...

im doing t/o at 1.3 ata or at continous power with coolant dors open manualy depends on out side temp i will open them more or less

flaps at take off position and trim not changed

during roll i use ruddder to keep plane very stable and streight if you use too much rudder wierd things start to happen. normaly fw190 lifts tail by it self

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 3 years later...

Damn this thing is really a c*nt to get hold of during landing.

Got the t/o without major issues after some tries but input has to be damn timely. The first few times i overcompensated the torque and the dora crashed back down and made a flip..

Landing feels kinda weird. Guess the offset sight kinda adds up to it. Still having some issues with the approach and final just before touchdown. That brick is quite unstable in yaw and inputs tend to end in a pio which leads to some hefty behaviour once wheels touch down.

Tailwheel has to be locked down immediately so that this thing doesnt veer off and pretend to be an australian.. very little room for error in that phase.. even managed to crash it few times on the tutorial.

I land it according to tutorial. Might have to work on initial distance and height but otherwise its like from the textbook. 300mph initial speed. Drop gear and flaps below that. Final descend with 210 to 240mph. Tricky part is when it comes to flare it upon touchdown and yanking back on the stick to lock tailwheel in order not to veer off. Should be same as in the pony. Feels totally different.

The pony in that respect flies like an idiots delight in comparison..

Edited by Doughguy

@Doughguy change units, dora uses km/h, i doubt that you are touching down at 240 mph.

Keep practicing, you will get there some day.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Still 240Km/H at touch down is way too much, I guess you aren't doing that, you probably should cross the threshold at about those 210Km/H mentioned and touch down 190/180 max.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Yeah will try again. Managed to successfully start and land a few times in a row yesterday but man... its definately more demanding. I come from cfs1,2 and toyed with wings of prey for a while. Landed the dcs mustang w/o major problems on the first try but that dora... damn... diva.

Yeah, definitely harder than those antiquities 😅 . Can't remember last time I played CFS 1 and 2, maybe some good twenty some years ago. Many things have changed since then. DCS is a whole different story.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Made 2 successful landings and t/o in succession... failed on the third attempt landing the bird. It does help centering the view so you "aim" with the revis backup sight. Cant really put my finger down on whats wrong yet but on the last few meters on final the bird gets pretty wobbly in yaw. On the first attempt it was all smooth. 2nd attempt it was ok-ish third was shaking to much and guess i flared to late hence locking the tailwheel to late resulting in a skidding frenzy... tutorial says to aim for the end of the runway but when going with these speeds as told that bricks controls get sort of muddy. It "feels" better aiming for the start of the runway. Descend is steeper and faster that way but feels more stable... it just resulted in a broken undercarriage... i start my descend from about 1500 meters. Distance is hard to determine but if i look back the edge of the runway is about the height of my elevators.

Gonna try to make some tracks so you can comment on my inputs.

Do as you like, but starting at 1500 meters AGL is very high (5,000 ft), so are you practicing landings or approaches? 😉
IIRC there's an instant mission... in Caucasus (I think) for Dora, where you start hot on the runway. I used this mission to touch-and-go until I bled from my nose 😉 It's a nice mission because the runway is huge (long and wide) and you can make all sorts of mistakes and still get her on the runway, at more or less ridiculous part of it, until you get better. And you fly slow all the time, so you can fairly quicky get the feel of how she handles. For example if she's "muddy" (can't remember myself, haven't flown her for quite long time), then she'll become "familiarly muddy". I remember Dora was difficult for me to land, I think most difficult of all warbirds, even the Spitty, so at least you're not alone 😉 I've no idea why I found Dora difficult. I was either landing too fast or she was dropping from the last 3 meters down as the piano, or a block of concrete. It might help you "self-diagnose" yourself if you quickly glimpse at the speedo, for example at the Rwy threshold, every time - you may be inconsistent in speed (I was!).
But don't worry, you'll get it, no question about it. Each DCS warbird is from slightly to significantly different on landing - which is fantastic!
Oh, and yes - the Pony is the easiest of them to land, at least to me (and you, it seems), so this would explain why you are surprised with Dora.

Throw in the track file(s), so the gurus can take a look. I'm a semi-noob, but others have thousands of hours clocked in (neeerds!) 😉

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Right. so heres the track. works fine.

3 starts and landings in succession. crashed on the third landin. broke the undercarriage. cant really say if it was to fast or dropped like piano. 
only thing ive noticed that was off was that i had alot yawing i tried to compensate with the rudder. not so on the first 2 landings.

fw190.trk

This is my take off and landing. I hold plane couple ft above ground and wait until speed bleeds off, then bird will touch ground by it self, this technique works with every warbird and early jets too.

Edited by grafspee

Thats laid back with the icecubes rattling 🤣

Yeah got the hang of the landings. My main problem was the offset sight the dora is set to. Kinda made me compensate it with yawing. I turn off the sight on landing and center vision and "aim" with the ironsight. The bit od yaw thats left is bearable. Yeah and speed was a bit of a factor. The dora aint particularly good as slowing down by throttle inputs alone so gotta do some wiggling and start flaps to bleed off speed beforehand.

@Doughguy it is common in axis planes, when you retard throttle to 0 engine rpm falls back almost to idle this reduce drag from prop, in allies planes when you set 2700 for landing in P51 then you retard throttle it takes significant amount of power to wind mill engine at 2700 and this makes a lot of drag acting like dynamic brake.

• 4 weeks later...

Right so after a few more start/and landin exercises im getting the hang of this bird on landing. I really have to fly by the numbers in this bird unlike with the mustang. 

Best initial height for me is 300m /1000 ft and tad under 300kph and be straight en route to the runway.

Lower flaps and gear and lower/set speed to 2000 u/min wich will bring it down to about 250 - 200.

Im trying to keep a constant u/min value of 2000 as any toying with the speed throws off the rudder and one has to correct alot ...

As you descend aim for the end of the runway or at least the middle. Its tricky cause if youre too slow youll be flyin/fallin nose up seein nothing...

Still the most critical part for me is the touch down. Often im still too fast despite setting engine to idle /1500 u/min before the flare and have to fly abit over the runway but when i pull up i stall. Guess should touch down under 150kph. Depending on the height i either fall down like a stone breaking the landinggear or one wheel comes down first resultin in a wild yawing frenzy... it does happend like 1/10 tries but still thats alot i think.

Edited by Doughguy

Right.

Managed to do 20 starts and landings in a row until i ran out of fuel.

i established some visual cues. maybe helps some folk here. not much different from what i described above or how grafspee lands the bird.

i usually start flying parallel to the runway at 300 meters and 300 kph. rpm set to 2000 u/min or 0.8 ata and keep that.

if you´re too fast e.g.350 (310 is fine enough),make some big californian slips as eric brunotte describes. usually 2-3 fora second or so will bleed enough speed to slow you down.

keep the landinstrip visually in the center of your wing.the lines of the german cross can be lind up with the outer sides of the runway.
depending on how you´ve lined up, you will  have to  pull the turn differently before landing.

for general flight, i like to trim the dora with a bit tailheavy trim. 1mark usually does it. for landing you can use 1-2.

now, flying parallel to the runway, watch when your horizontal stabelizer passes the beginning (thats where you want to go upon descend) of the runway.
if youve passed it, drop gear and flaps.

now pull and keep a look on the beginning of the runway. you have to judge if you have to pull hard or soft.

be advised that pulling hard will bleed off airspeed!

pull the turn in a level flight so you keep 300 meters height.

once done with the turn, speed should be about 250kph.

i actually do use the gyroscopic gunsight for landing. the vertical line i center on the runway and try to keep it steady. minimal aileron input. bit of rudder to correct course.be gentle!
the horizontal line i keep centered on the end of the runway.
it helps a bit if you set the distance of the reticule to very close so you just see a huge cross or sort of some makeshift ILS if you want.

now,keep it steady.

as you descend, speed lowers. 220 200 etc.
keep an eye on the beginning of the runway. once the bottom frame of your front window alligns with the beginning of the runway, i drop to 0.7 ata /1500 u/min.

start flaring gently!

if done right, tires will hit the tarmac at 200 kph. correct with rudder if necessary.

go to idle and watch speed. if you´re at 150kmph pull stick back to lock the wheel.
again, correct with rudder if necessary.

gently tap your break repeatedly until you come to a halt, or taxi speed.

these are crutches if you want to, but helps alot getting establish some "feeling" for this bird, before you do more "agressive" landing maneuvers.

Edited by Doughguy

• BIGNEWY unpinned this topic