How to Land the Dora

wolle

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

just wanne say, i fly the FW190 as an RC plane (2,2m wingspan). And i know the aerodynamics of wing profiles and planes a bit. In reality you just have to pull the elevator a bit an give a bit right rudder at the first few meters. Thats all!

IMO the take off modelling of the dora in the game is *sorry* currently totaly crap. You can't controll your tail with the rudder if its breaking off. Thats funny and everything but not realistic. I hope that we will see a few changes till release...

Just my thoughts...

• Like 1

7700k@5.0, 2080Ti OC, 960Pro M2, 32GB 3600 RAM, Virpil T-50CM stick, Virpil T-50 throttle, Trustmaster TPR rudder, HP Reverb consumer

Well I takeoff basically the way you say you do with your RC plane. I taxi a bit to make sure the tailwheel is straight then full power, balance it with rudder then when reaching 150-160 I slowly re-center the stick and then the plane takes off by itself. If necessary I compensate for the left wing drop caused by the prop with a bit of aileron. Not very different from what you describe.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Hi guys,

just wanne say, i fly the FW190 as an RC plane (2,2m wingspan). And i know the aerodynamics of wing profiles and planes a bit. In reality you just have to pull the elevator a bit an give a bit right rudder at the first few meters. Thats all!

IMO the take off modelling of the dora in the game is *sorry* currently totaly crap. You can't controll your tail with the rudder if its breaking off. Thats funny and everything but not realistic. I hope that we will see a few changes till release...

Just my thoughts...

You do know that the flight model is tuned to the experience of an actual pilot who has flown the thing in ww2? Mr. Eric Brunotte.

I dunno how big the engine in your 2,2m model is, but i am sure it doesnt even have a fraction of the torque of the actual thing, keeping aside the obvious differences in behaviour due to size and weight...

I will do some videos for how I do take off and landings of the stang and 190 during the week :)

Its alot easier then people make it out to be and with practice smooth take off and landings are quite easy to achieve

Pman

I honestly can't see what the problem is. It just takes practise!

The 'totally crap', and 'needs re-working' comments are, forgive me, are a little 'short sighted' (to put it mildly).

This flight is after half a bottle of wine, a little annoyed by the negative comments, I wanted to post a vid - perfect it aint -but will perhaps help some.

For the love of ***** practise some more before passing judgement - it's totally do-able.

This 190 is an absolute joy thanks ED!

Absolutely a charm to handle this Fw190 D9.

In this post, on this very same thread I even made it a bit more challenging by adding a x-wind of 8m/s, and turbulence factor at 45.

Took off, entered right downwind, overshot the rw, re-aligned and landed in a crab, uncrabing not very well, but I was in a hurry to go to work...

And, Hafer, you shouldn't really try to compare a 2,2m RC model with a real fw190 modeled here..... On a takeoff in a simple Piper Super Cub, IRL, your tail is everywhere if you watch the takeoff run, and you really "dance" with the rudder!

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Well yesterday I spent 90 mins in the Dora, the plan was to have a long flight and get used to the flying characteristics. Instead I think I spent 10 mins flying and 80 mins taxing and doing startups. :)

On bright side, I can now do the startup and taxi with no issues, and I did manage to take off once, although I may have to change my shorts after I landed, as it wasn't pretty and damn right dangerous.

I just can't seem to keep her on the runway. I either drift left, and the moment I try to correct I tip onto my left wing tip, or if I manage to get to flying speed, as soon as I release the stick to centre, I roll left violently and spend the rest of the trip doing cartwheels. ;)

Is it the aircrafts fault, or the flight modelling. Hell no, it has to be my technique as I know others who are flying fine. It may be frustrating, but damn I'm still enjoying myself, and the one time I got flying, I was impressed at how stable she seemed to be, although she certainly dosnt want to slow down for landing does she. Slippery little mare.

I would like to say I got her back onto the ground safely, but well, I'll be lying. However the second bounce did seem fairly controlled. Just before I hit the ground hard, swerved left and over turned. ;) Dooohhhhh

Practise practise practise is in order. I remember when the Huey first turned up, I don't think anyone could control that lass for love or money. Lost count how many smoking holes I made. But now it's just like landing a bike, and I can put her anywhere, and do full autorotations etc. :)

It's frustrating, but when you get it, damn it's satisfying .

Thankyou Ed, for yet another stunning flight sim experience.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

The 'totally crap', and 'needs re-working' comments are, forgive me, are a little 'short sighted' (to put it mildly).

If i think about it, my words doesnt fit to what i experienced. I wrote them after a few take off attempts. It's not "totaly crap" - but it needs a bit tuning. My point is, that the rudder is really weak. It gets all the air from the 14-cylinder but i cant stop the drifting when it startet. Maybe i have to check my controls, cause in your vid everything seems to be like it must be.

Nevertheless is a great module (like every other..)!

7700k@5.0, 2080Ti OC, 960Pro M2, 32GB 3600 RAM, Virpil T-50CM stick, Virpil T-50 throttle, Trustmaster TPR rudder, HP Reverb consumer

One important factor to remember when taking off is that when you pull the stick back to lock the tail wheel, make sure you pull it straight down without any left or right tendencies, these seem to be deadly once the aircraft gets enough lift and starts departing from the ground, it usually ends in a snap roll to the direction of the stick pull (if not straight down)

As with any warbird (or aircraft really) you really have to "listen" to everything that the aircraft is telling you, whether that be by sound or by how she is moving on the runway. There are always little telltale signs as to what is going to happen next, it all comes down to experience and knowing what to expect.

I didnt have too much trouble with take offs and landings with the Dora, only issue I had with my first landing was I turned into finals with too much of a run into the field and lost sight of it. I prefer combat fighter style landings and a nice curved approach, I have found this works just as well in the Dora or the Mustang.

I will do a couple of videos this week if I get abit of time :)

Pman

Cheers Pman, look forward to it.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Ive just managed one takeoff in the Dora so far. That was the most horrible looking takeoffs ever lol. I hav'nt been able to take off since then (in about 50+ tries so far). Watched videos & trying different techniques, but Damn its hard not getting disheartened when you know its 100% YOU thats the problem :P

I'll keep trying though. Lucky I have an unlimited supply of Doras available, I'm gonna need them.

Don't ask me for advice on these Two Subjects:

1.. How to Take Off in the Dora!

2.. How to Land the Dora!

UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE!

I honestly can't see what the problem is. It just takes practise!

This flight is after half a bottle of wine, a little annoyed by the negative comments, I wanted to post a vid - perfect it aint -but will perhaps help some.

For the love of ***** practise some more before passing judgement - it's totally do-able.

This 190 is an absolute joy thanks ED!

Did you raise your viewpoint (RCtrl+RShift+Num8)?

Another tip I found helpful is before you stop at the runway before the takeoff run, roll forward just a little bit and align the tail wheel straight before locking it down, once you are straight, lock it down and apply minor brakes to align, come to a stop (while tail wheel locked) and start your run, from there on minor rudder adjustments until 170 (can be done at 160) and you should be straight as a ruler :D

I just can't seem to keep her on the runway. I either drift left, and the moment I try to correct I tip onto my left wing tip, or if I manage to get to flying speed, as soon as I release the stick to centre, I roll left violently and spend the rest of the trip doing cartwheels.

These are exactly my own findings.

After trying and trying and trying and... trying i took another approach and started out with 100% assist (auto rudder always off).

Take-off is easy with assist at 100%, so easy in fact that there's no rudder/brake input needed to keep it going straight. Once you get a bit of speed, push back on the stick to lock the tailwheel and off you go (pulling very gently back on the stick like some mention here to lock the tailwheel doesn't work for me, it doesn't lock the wheel at all which brings me to another point i'll ask further down this post).

Then i reduced assist, first to 90% then more down to 50%. Every take-off was succesfull, even without using rudder (feet off the pedals).

First problems started to arrise with assist set to 40%. At this point it needed rudder/brake input to keep the plane going straight. Take-off was still possible but far from gently and it started to crash again, mostly when coming off the runway and when the FW-190 rolled to the left, mostly violently. I could only compensate this roll by giving right roll the moment it leaves the ground. If i was a little too late, i could pull the stick to the right as much as or as fast as i wanted, it would always put his left wing into the ground if the stickinput to the right was not made on the right moment.

Taking assist even more down resulted in a more twitchy airplane.

At 30% assist i could not get her airborne anymore without a violent roll to the left on take-off. If i was lucky, it could correct it, if i was not, i would crash.

I also needed more correcteions to keep the plane going straight on the runway. I also find some behaviour weird or not responsive. Sometimes, i enter the scene (ready for take-off on the start or the runway) and no matter what i do, it always pulls to left of right and starts to drift the more speed it gets. Like it would remember the last rudder/stick input it got on the previous ride.

I also found that when it starts drifting (either left or right), inputting rudder makes it only worse. Not once i could correct this drift up until now. Once it starts drifting...it's over.

Then i moved the assist to 0% to see the difference but i don't see any. I can take-off without assistance right now but it's sheer luck. If i can keep it fairly straight (reed getting to lift speed before hitting the grass or don't start to drift), i can get her airborne. Landing is still another story.

What i'm interrested in is in how people's input curves look? Because these (can) make a lot off difference and should be set to those in real life (which where all the same for the same type of aircraft, here they are not, i'm 100% sure of that).

Also taps comment on the viewpoint might be a help. I found raising the viewpoint makes take-offs easier somehow. Maybe because you get another "feeling" on how the aircraft moves over the runway...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hmm, she's a bit of a handful, nothing that's too bad though by the looks of things. I flew with auto rudder and TO Assistance off.

First take off attempted ended in failure as I was caught off guard by just how strong that left torque yaw is.

Second attempt was very dirty and almost ended in disaster, but managed to get airborne.

Take off really isn't much different from the P51D when you forget to dial in the 6 degree rudder trim.

First landing attempt ended in a crash, partly because of a two point landing, but also because I stuffed up the approach and hadn't lined up properly, which meant when I bounced I bounced onto the grass.

Reckon I could probably land it next time, just need to go learn the correct landing speed first.

For the guys who have figured out how to taxi pretty good set up a quick mission with a runway start. Engine is already going so just move on down the runway and once you get used to takeoffs just turn around to practice landings.

I see people trying to practice on the online servers and I don't think that is a good idea. Slight lag is enough to deal with when you know how to takeoff but trying to learn in it is a bad idea. I must of saw one guy yesterday crash a dozen times in a row and he even quit doing the taxi to the runway.

I'm still struggling with one major thing on take-off that i can't explain.

- Tailwheel aligned, no rudder deflection

- Move throttle up

- Start moving forward

- Move stick back to lock tailwheel

- Aircraft tends to move a little bit to the left, i add right rudder to compensate. Dora goes back in a straight line.

- As speed goes up, aircraft goes again a bit to the right, i add a bit more right rudder.

- If i overdo this last part, aircraft tends to go to the right. But i i then release the right rudder a bit, it starts going more to the right. The more i release the right rudder or if i even input a bit left rudder, the more the aircraft goes to the right where it eventually starts to drift and take-off is over. How is this explained?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I'm still struggling with one major thing on take-off that i can't explain.

- Tailwheel aligned, no rudder deflection

- Move throttle up

- Start moving forward

- Move stick back to lock tailwheel

- Aircraft tends to move a little bit to the left, i add right rudder to compensate. Dora goes back in a straight line.

- As speed goes up, aircraft goes again a bit to the right, i add a bit more right rudder.

- If i overdo this last part, aircraft tends to go to the right. But i i then release the right rudder a bit, it starts going more to the right. The more i release the right rudder or if i even input a bit left rudder, the more the aircraft goes to the right where it eventually starts to drift and take-off is over. How is this explained?

You sure your tailwheel is in line with the aircraft before locking it?>

g8PjVMw.png