How to Takeoff in the Dora

SimFreak

No - I mean that it has to be re-worked in a way that people which does not have the expensive and fancy stuff can perform TO and landings without frustration.

As it is at this time, I think the only way to get warm with this in a accaptable amount of time is to use rudder pedals with toe-brakes.

I got a set of old Simpeds without brakes.

And I can't - by any means take this thing off the ground without lots of sweating and swearing.

If I can at all.

Maybe more practice can help - but hey, I got a real life...

It is all about practice.

My personal experience, a couple of hours with the Dora: I thought, "Instant Action" was not enough, I wanted to take off and land. So I taxied to the runway ... over the taxiway, the grass strip, the firetruck ... all over the place but not to the runway. Then I read here how to do it - properly. Stick back & toe brakes (Saitek pedals). Uncomfortable for me - I sit in an office chair which moves easily - but it worked. No more spinning in circles by the slightest touch of the brakes. I even got to the runway eventually! Now I mapped the toe brake buttons to my joystick (plenty of unused buttons, G940). Now I can taxi as if I were riding a bike (well, sort of ...)

Allright, take off. Carefully adding throttle, stick back to lock the tail wheel - perfectly stable and aligned on the centerline. Great. She gets lighter on the wheels ... easy, take off is no prob...wtf? I slowly crash on the left side of the runway - she just flipped over!? Several attempts later, about as frustrated as you might be atm - still the same. 20 crashes in a row. That can not be!! Then I read here, re-center the stick gently and early(er).

*click* as if someone turned on a switch. It is like a "digital skill" - once you "got it" it is totally natural and easy.

I am by no means a good pilot (yet) and probably never will be. And I experienced the frustation, too. But it is neither impossible nor even really difficult - you only need to know how to do it ...

(fwiw: first I used take-off assistance 100 but during my fails, I turned it off. Maybe this was also a reason why it then became easier for me?

And: I (still) use auto-rudder. This will be turned off next ... :o)

The thing I marvel at with all of this is that DCS models these airframes exactly like the real thing. It just boggles my mind that these ill-handling evil machines that try to kill you at every possible chance were tamed by pilots that had ZERO experience with them and with zero documentation.

(There is another thread that states that the real Dora pilot that was a consultant for this module stated that they had received this plane and no manual so they had to figure it out for themselves.)

Hats off to these pioneers of flight that had the skills and the balls to tame these unruly beasts... It is a wonder half of them survived just FLYING THE PLANE, let alone taking one into combat.

We gripe about the handling and weirdnesses involved with these airframes while SIMULATING flight combat... I can't imagine jumping into one of these beasts with zero documentation and no training and trying to fly one of these in real life... We love the equipment and that is why we sim, but the pilots with their skill and bravery are the real heroes no matter what flag they flew for...

SALUTE!

Well... from my (very limited) experience flying actual aircraft, I would offer that the "seat of the pants" feeling, ability to sense minute motion with your sense of equilibrium, and much more precise control linkages in real aircraft compared to simulators would help a great deal- particularly things like the takeoff roll (where any yawing would be sensed by your inner ear far before your eyes saw it) and flaring for landing (where real depth perception is worlds beyond any method of estimating height over the runway we have in simulation).

That, and even if the pilots hadn't flown these particular marks, I strongly suspect pilots didn't go straight from "never flown anything" to "here's a high-performance fighter; have fun!". They generally had some manner of lead-in training with more forgiving aircraft.

...but even so, the mishap rates *were* pretty high, compared to modern air forces.

Well... from my (very limited) experience flying actual aircraft, I would offer that the "seat of the pants" feeling, ability to sense minute motion with your sense of equilibrium, and much more precise control linkages in real aircraft compared to simulators would help a great deal- particularly things like the takeoff roll (where any yawing would be sensed by your inner ear far before your eyes saw it) and flaring for landing (where real depth perception is worlds beyond any method of estimating height over the runway we have in simulation).

That, and even if the pilots hadn't flown these particular marks, I strongly suspect pilots didn't go straight from "never flown anything" to "here's a high-performance fighter; have fun!". They generally had some manner of lead-in training with more forgiving aircraft.

...but even so, the mishap rates *were* pretty high, compared to modern air forces.

I agree completely.. I have some very limited time in real life so I hear what you are saying about the "seat of the pants" feeling. And I certainly did not mean to imply that they had zero experience flying, simply not in these airplanes..

Still amazing to fly one of these with basically no experience in the plane and little specific training in them..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I only got to squeeze in a very brief look over of the Dora yesterday. I didn't think to take screenshots or video of the only two takeoffs I attempted, so this gif will have to suffice to show the abject failure that was both of my takeoff attempts:

2jb7grc.gif

Family showing up is going to limit my time with the Dora for now, but I'm hoping I can squeeze in on the DoW server Sunday while they are doing non-combat so I can practice online, depends on how early everyone leaves my place on Sunday.

Edited by TooTall

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Wish I could say this happened on my first attempt... Took ages for the Luftwaffe surgeons to remove the elevator stuck in my left ear.:clown_2:

Screen_140807_141938.thumb.jpg.78e1813d88f6ecf28024866ca6e9865c.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

This is DCS guys.... if its easy, ED is doing it wrong :)

Amen! :worthy:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

Next problem occurs when you try to take off on a server with the slightest lag...

I can handle it now in single player after I tried Vipers suggestions.

(Thanks for that)

Not very aesthetic and a little bit shaky - but I get airborne without any accidents.

Repeatedly.

I think two dozen TO without any problems (apart from lack of aesthetics...)

But on a server - absolutely 'no-no'...

:cry:

I honestly think I have crashed and burned more in the last 24 hours than anytime the last year, the only module that came close to this many crashes was landing the Huey. :censored:

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Man!! If the Dora is like this to takeoff and land, can you imagine how is ti gonna be with the BF 109 in october?!

:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

Instant Ace Syndrome strikes 1 in 50, only through practice and patience can we cure this despicable disease ;)

This is DCS guys.... if its easy, ED is doing it wrong :)

Well said! ;)

Also, it does count as a landing if the pilot lives, right? ..right?? :music_whistling:

Screen_140806_215120.thumb.jpg.5a7790994767be8a512dbdc3752141a8.jpg

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

From what's been reported I was dreading my first circuit! wondering what horrors the FW had in store?

But after taking onboard the essentials form Matt's vids, all was straight forward for my first TO & Lndg (and subsequant ones). Only particular problem is approach visibility, which can be solved in any number of ways.

Although I did do loads of practise circuits in the Pony so I guess it's paid off.

Practise is everything I guess.

I honestly think I have crashed and burned more in the last 24 hours than anytime the last year, the only module that came close to this many crashes was landing the Huey. :censored:

Damn the more I hear about this aircraft, the more I'm dreading that first flight. Hell I still can't land the Mustang without killing myself.

But damn one things for certain, I know it's gonna be fun. God I love DCS Quality aircraft.

Here's hoping I can finally get a flight tomorrow evening.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

check my sig for a great way to land the dora with no problem :) Filmed in the P-51, but works with any plane.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

How do I post a track? Finally got the takeoff down and the landings are getting better. Did a takeoff and landing in less than 3 minutes.

Best way I've found now is pull the stick back, full throttle, then it will initially pull slightly to the left so apply a slight amount of rudder to the right. As soon as it starts to correct to the right start wiggling the rudder with slight left/right quick successions. Slowing drop the nose in the 170-200 range and then apply slight right rudder as it will pull left slightly. You may or may not have to keep using the wiggling strategy. Don't know how well it will work for the guys without rudder pedals.

My first attempt

and my second

I had to laugh really hard at the first one since I've seen that same thing over and over. :beer:

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip