How to Takeoff in the Dora

SimFreak

I consider takeoff to be getting airborne, so I have nothing to contribute here. :lol:

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

So... first takeoff a little wobbly but succesfull, first landing not so much, since I broke one wing, and messed up suspension. Second takeoff a lot better, second landing a lot worse: both wings clipped :D Anyway, I got used to imperial gauges and now I need to learn to remember correct values in km/h so I won't stall during landing in the future. Like it!

My first take off went rather well, though nearly not as good as it should be - but no damage at least. Didn't even have the usual problems taxiing (Pirouette-51D is a wholly different story, as well as any BoS plane). Lost one of my elevators in a dive at ~840-850km/h IAS at ~1500m and did a landing where I lost my left aileron, but nothing else. Had some problems with my flaps due to the unusual default mapping, Ctrl + F put them completely down instead of retracting them, so I didn't stay down there when I instinctly pulled back as I expected the flaps to be going up :D

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words . . .

Landing:

17pSGwq.jpg

LPrdpI3.jpg

Takeoff:

JktThq4.jpg

Se8phTQ.jpg

vSlL8Ld.jpg

I just went ahead and used the instant action for landing, then I taxied around and took off again. Almost landed short of the runway, I thought the red lights were on the runway, not before it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

Video for those who couldn't view my .trk file

As well as the Dora, I am forever grateful to Eagle Dynamics and Partnered Companies, for the ability to alter a Track file as I and many other do all the time.

It never cease's to amaze me, just how much you miss seeing when flying in cockpit view. And thanks to the Hard Work of the E.D and Partners, even poor flying can come out looking great with a little camera work. I just wish I was much better with the camera's :D

Thanks everyone.:pilotfly:

Only took 34 posts for the WWII Warbird armchair experts to surface I see :pilotfly:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Yeah it is a real shame you guys didn't have a real Dora pilot involved with the development so that it could be realistic...

Oh wait... :O)

Sorry guys, you can pick "realistic" and have to learn how to fly it with all of it's idiosyncrasies... or you can have it easy to take off and land and be happy with the fact that you are playing an arcade game.. (Like some of the other "sims" out there.)

Can't have it both ways..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

You mean, they need to work on the Dora or you need to work on your skills? :D

No - I mean that it has to be re-worked in a way that people which does not have the expensive and fancy stuff can perform TO and landings without frustration.

As it is at this time, I think the only way to get warm with this in a accaptable amount of time is to use rudder pedals with toe-brakes.

I got a set of old Simpeds without brakes.

And I can't - by any means take this thing off the ground without lots of sweating and swearing.

If I can at all.

Maybe more practice can help - but hey, I got a real life...

• Like 1

No - I mean that it has to be re-worked in a way that people which does not have the expensive and fancy stuff can perform TO and landings without frustration.

As it is at this time, I think the only way to get warm with this in a accaptable amount of time is to use rudder pedals with toe-brakes.

And I can't - by any means take this thing off the ground without lots of sweating and swearing.

If I can at all.

My suggestion #1 - get something like the Saitek pedals, which have toe brakes and work just fine and are not very expensive, or

Suggestion #2: enable "assisted takeoff" mode.

But honestly, for an hardcore simulation, rudder at least is required.

My other Fw190, an A3, is even more difficult to control on takeoff, although it's not exactly the same model.... I would not be able to control either without rudder.

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

If I can at all.

Maybe try take-off assistance and auto-rudder in the options screen?

Sorry guys, you can pick "realistic" and have to learn how to fly it with all of it's idiosyncrasies... or you can have it easy to take off and land and be happy with the fact that you are playing an arcade game.. (Like some of the other "sims" out there.)

Can't have it both ways..

There is a point where you can say:

It is a computer game in the end.

A very well done game (or call it 'sim' if you like).

But it's a computergame.

You don't need to 'simulate' everything to a point where it get's ridiculous hard.

Or at least for the majority of the players.

You don't need to 'simulate' everything to a point where it get's ridiculous hard.

Or at least for the majority of the players.

Yes you do if your intention is to accord with reality. In order for players like you who do not care for the reality/difficulty, there are options to make it a helluva lot easier, in your particular instance the enabling of 'Auto-Rudder'.

So what we have is two options, excluding Game Mode, that caters for ALL possible eventualities/scenarios/play-styles. Where's the issue?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hint:

Enable Auto-Rudder, bring up Control Indicator and see what rudder inputs are required for a successful take-off: You will see that at no stage are toe-brakes utilized nor are they needed for take-off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

~

If I can at all.

That's the thing with DCS... if you're getting frustrated, its because you're doing it wrong.

Slow down, find what it is you need to improve/ learn how to properly/ study how the AI go about- as a guide/ see if you can find some youtube vids of the authentic in action, then enjoy :)

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Hint:

Enable Auto-Rudder, bring up Control Indicator and see what rudder inputs are required for a successful take-off: You will see that at no stage are toe-brakes utilized nor are they needed for take-off.

Thanks, 159th_Viper,

that hint helped a lot.

:thumbup:

Any other frustrated fellows should try this too.

Thanks for the help again!

Edited by Konrad Friedrich

That's the thing with DCS... if you're getting frustrated, its because you're doing it wrong.

Slow down, find what it is you need to improve/ learn how to properly/ study how the AI go about- as a guide/ see if you can find some youtube vids of the authentic in action, then enjoy :)

No need to tell me that.

I'm with DCS since the beginning.

;)

Regards,

Konrad

:pilotfly:

No need to tell me that.

I'm with DCS since the beginning.

;)

Regards,

Konrad

:pilotfly:

cool... so no real need for the dummy spit then, was there?

cheers, and no offense intended :)

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

The thing I marvel at with all of this is that DCS models these airframes exactly like the real thing. It just boggles my mind that these ill-handling evil machines that try to kill you at every possible chance were tamed by pilots that had ZERO experience with them and with zero documentation.

(There is another thread that states that the real Dora pilot that was a consultant for this module stated that they had received this plane and no manual so they had to figure it out for themselves.)

Hats off to these pioneers of flight that had the skills and the balls to tame these unruly beasts... It is a wonder half of them survived just FLYING THE PLANE, let alone taking one into combat.

We gripe about the handling and weirdnesses involved with these airframes while SIMULATING flight combat... I can't imagine jumping into one of these beasts with zero documentation and no training and trying to fly one of these in real life... We love the equipment and that is why we sim, but the pilots with their skill and bravery are the real heroes no matter what flag they flew for...

SALUTE!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO