How to Fly the Dora

Yo-Yo

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are talking about the propwash effect over the airplane´s yaw, not the turbulence effect.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I don't know exactly what was fixed, but I always tend to think that one of the reasons why the prop torque effect ( on roll opposite prop rotation ) tends to be minimal compared to yaw, is exactly the effect of the spiraling slipstream asymmetrically hitting the tail surface.

It impacts it from the left ( on a CW rotating prop ) thus pushing the nose to the left in yaw, but also since the tail is above the CoG, it also tends to create a moment ( roll ) in the same direction of that of the prop rotation, thus opposing the rolling moment resulting from prop and engine torques...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Not I, I am just glad that Yo-Yo had the opportunity he did, and it was so helpful that it even found errors in FM... that tells you everything you want to know about ED and its commitment to making the very best sim....

+1 indeed it does. With this much attention to detail DCS: WWII Europe 1944 will surpass all other flight sims in faithfulness to reality, as best a 2d sim can. Thank you very much to all at ED, the Dora fly's very nice, it will be fun to learn to fight in her in do time. Would love to read or see a vid on the interview with Erich Brunotte.:thumbup:

S!Blade<><

• ED Team
I don't know exactly what was fixed, but I always tend to think that one of the reasons why the prop torque effect ( on roll opposite prop rotation ) tends to be minimal compared to yaw, is exactly the effect of the spiraling slipstream asymmetrically hitting the tail surface.

It impacts it from the left ( on a CW rotating prop ) thus pushing the nose to the left in yaw, but also since the tail is above the CoG, it also tends to create a moment ( roll ) in the same direction of that of the prop rotation, thus opposing the rolling moment resulting from prop and engine torques...

You are right. :) Spiralling slipsream leaves its rotation reacting with wings and empennage. It's like a fixed blades in a turbine...

Generally it's a fundamentsl law: you will encounter the torque proportional to the rotation you leave in the Universe... :)

Regarding the fixes... in details, the slipstream is very complicated system even if we exclude its vortex-spiral structure. THe most challenging thing is to approximate its axis (axes). Though I tried to visualise and check it, it was made in a great hurry :) and one little bug crowled into.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Thanks for this! I just bought the Dora and cannot wait to put this info to good use.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I got 'perfect' and 'fantastic' while watching someone who really knew how to fly a plane. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thank you Yo-Yo,

Are there any recommended engine regimes for cruise? Like longest range, least fuel consumption? Published DCS manual just states that regimes are all driven by RPM and we should use 3000 for climb.

Vita

Thank you Yo-Yo,

Are there any recommended engine regimes for cruise? Like longest range, least fuel consumption? Published DCS manual just states that regimes are all driven by RPM and we should use 3000 for climb.

Vita

From original manual of the Dora 9:

3250rpm = Start- und Notleistung (with MW50 Sondernotleistung)

3000rpm = Steig- und Kampfleistung

2700rmp = Dauerleistung

I don't know the rpm for saving fuel, but 2200 - 2400 should be ok. Can you confirm this Yo-Yo?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | 32GB DDR4 RAM | NVidia RTX4080 | MSI B550 TOMAHAWK | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Win 10 Pro 64bit | Track IR4 Pro | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudder Pedals

What would you trim to? Surely you'd trim to the situation the aircraft finds itself in most of the time, cruising to and from wherever. Guess what flight condition the German ground crews trimmed the aircraft for? Yes, that's right, give that man a cigar! Jeez!

What would you trim to? Surely you'd trim to the situation the aircraft finds itself in most of the time, cruising to and from wherever. Guess what flight condition the German ground crews trimmed the aircraft for? Yes, that's right, give that man a cigar! Jeez!

I don't know, for combat maybe? If I'm expecting to do a lot of combat at full power and not a lot for cruising, surely I'd trim for combat.

Jeez!

Don't see how I want to trim my aircraft concerns you anyway. Mind your own damn business.

Edited by Narushima

FW 190 Dora performance charts:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128354

for those having difficulty to take off and landing disable the head movement by G-forces in the misc via options!!!

it seems that this effect is overdone in this plane[it comfuse the movement on the aircraft especially on landings] you can't even shooting straight!!

i believe Matt also have it disable in those videos!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

• 2 months later...
From original manual of the Dora 9:

3250rpm = Start- und Notleistung (with MW50 Sondernotleistung)

3000rpm = Steig- und Kampfleistung

2700rmp = Dauerleistung

I don't know the rpm for saving fuel, but 2200 - 2400 should be ok. Can you confirm this Yo-Yo?

The Dora had a special "Sparleistung" setting where the pilot was able to switch the supercharger down to gear 1 at high altitudes. i flew about 3hours with the drop tank from Anapa climbing to 6500m with 3000rpm´s than with 2250rpm (at that rpm i saw a pressure drop in supercharger gauge!) through the coastline to Batumi. after batumi i noticed consumption in rear tank, so i dropped the undercarriage tank and switch front fuel pump on. Trimming was necesssary some times but i missed so much the other trims which allied planes had. our pilots must have always tired legs and arms after long flights in 109 or 190´s. Unfortunaltely i failed navigating and was between Mozdok and Mineralinye Vody. Than i decide to fly nearest way to coast and ended in a flat slow dive in Sukhumi....one Tank empty and one red lamp !! taht was close and i was veeery happy :-) ps: perhaps someone can add the km or mls which i flew ? could be 1200-1300km?

Edited by kubanloewe

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick

• 3 weeks later...

I've flown the the Dora for about a week now. Amazing module! :thumbup:

I think I will have more questions in the future, but for starters, I'm wondering about the preferred way to keep wings level in cruise. How should that be achieved: By applying rudder or by applying stick?

Depending on the power setting, the aircraft has a more or less pronounced tendency to roll. To me, it feels as if applying rudder is the proper way to counter that, but that leaves me flying uncoordinated according to the slip indicator. But I can't imagine that pilots had to apply constant stick pressure, seeing as there's no aileron trim...

ps: perhaps someone can add the km or mls which i flew ? could be 1200-1300km?

You can easily do that yourself. Open the Mission Editor and use the "Ruler" tool (the bottom most icon in the left row) in order to measure your approximate distance. I just did a quick check for the route Anapa - Batumi - Mozdok - Min Vody - Sukhumi that sums up to approximately 660 nm or over 1200 km, and that's the most direct route between these places, so yeah, you must have traveled some 1300 km, maybe even more. :thumbup: