How to Fly the Dora

Yo-Yo

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its funny about this airplane for me..

It never feels consistent in hard cornering or when I'm flying looking out canopy and trying to track an enemy. Maybe its me or maybe I'm not quite pulling directly on the axis of my stick properly so I'm getting some elevator in the aileron or vice versa. It just feels like its all over the place.

I can land and take off without issue but it is a bit more sloppy with the Dora then other airplanes.

Id hate to give up on it as I love the plane but don't feel like I'm a very proficient pilot with it at all.

Anyone ever get this feeling about the Dora?

(I wonder even if its my deadzone in my stick perhaps? I'm going to fool with it a bit and see.)

Its really just practice that gets you there, watching where your virtual stick is in relation to your actual one (that you are not pulling harder than you should be) etc. It takes time but once you spend a number of hours in her, putting her through her paces, most of these issues just become unnoticeable. We bring a lot of baggage from older sims, soon as you work though some of those, you will really notice a difference.

The real revelation for me was when I started using the Gametrix vibration seat pad.

Would not fly without it now.

With that I simply feel how hard I can push her, it starts vibrating when I start reaching the end of the envelope, and adds intensity as I get closer to the edge of stalling.

Also "dirty flying" I can feel as well, when I don't coordinate my turn properly with the rudder.

When using normal setup, I guess it's important to be aware of the cockpit dash shaking.

Normally you can see the shaking before it stalls out or drops a wing.

Another thing to look at is to keep the ball centered a bit, the plane has less hard turn capability if the turn is not correctly lined up.

(But that goes for the other aircraft as well. ;) )

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Does anyone know did the height adjustment for the MG151/EZ42 on the right console have any affect currently on your gunnery?

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Does anyone know did the height adjustment for the MG151/EZ42 on the right console have any affect currently on your gunnery?

Yes, but very small. You can try what it does by having the gunsight in gyro mode, put in smallest wingspan (10) & longest distance to the target, so you will end up with the smallest & wildest reticle. Bind the altitude correction on 2 keys for easy adjusting during the testflight. Flying level you won't see almost any difference on the reticle. But during the turns when the reticle is close to the edge of the gunsight, there is a noticeable difference between the extreme values.

However on the distance which you usually would open fire at, it makes very little difference... but setting it right before your preflight check won't hurt nor slow you down much, so why not to... At least that is my own observation. Not sure if anything was mentioned in the manual since the beta.

However I find it overall a very nice detail!

• Like 1

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

Thx Spectrum don't see anywhere description that altitude adjustment for the EZ42 work, but thx for clarifying.

The 20mm should noticeable effect on the gunsight in term of ballistic and drag with high altitude...

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

• 1 month later...

Hard to win with the Dora

The Dora was my first WW2 fighter, and in a way I always liked to fly it. But I have always - and still do - hated to fight the Mustang AI with it. Of course I was just a beginner when I started this, and I didn't have a TrackIR which didn't help. In the meantime I have done a lot of flying with the Bf-109 and I have a pretty good kill ratio against the Mustang AI even when I set it to "Excellent". From time to time I feel like I should be able to do the same with the Dora and it's very disillusioning every time. Only very rarely do I win against the Mustang AI, and flying the Dora in dogfight feels like fighting with one foot tied down. To me the Dora feels inferior to the Kurfürst. Yet when I read about WW2 it seems that the Luftwaffe units wanted Fw-190's more than Bf-109's. So if the Dora's FM is realistic, I have a serious disconnect. Maybe the Dora needs to be handled in a totally different way compared to the Kurfürst?

What am I doing wrong?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 7 months later...
The Dora was my first WW2 fighter, and in a way I always liked to fly it. But I have always - and still do - hated to fight the Mustang AI with it. Of course I was just a beginner when I started this, and I didn't have a TrackIR which didn't help. In the meantime I have done a lot of flying with the Bf-109 and I have a pretty good kill ratio against the Mustang AI even when I set it to "Excellent". From time to time I feel like I should be able to do the same with the Dora and it's very disillusioning every time. Only very rarely do I win against the Mustang AI, and flying the Dora in dogfight feels like fighting with one foot tied down. To me the Dora feels inferior to the Kurfürst. Yet when I read about WW2 it seems that the Luftwaffe units wanted Fw-190's more than Bf-109's. So if the Dora's FM is realistic, I have a serious disconnect. Maybe the Dora needs to be handled in a totally different way compared to the Kurfürst?

What am I doing wrong?

I can relate! In the D-9 I severly struggle against the P-51 AI. I have very little problems killing the P-51 AI when I myself fly the P-51. Same with the K-4, even though it is much less forgiving compared to the P-51. In comparison to the D-9 the K-4 turns really well and it can follow the P-51 with less difficulty in vertical maneuvers. The D-9 AI is laughably easy to kill when flying the P-51. I find it quite easy to kill the D-9 AI when flying the D-9 as well.

I haven't flown against a human adversary yet. But reading the P-51 forums it seems their experience flying the P-51 against the D-9 online is completely opposite to my AI experience. Oh' well.

Historical accounts place the P-51 and D-9 very close to each other performance wise. None of them seem to have any real uber advantage against the other.

I blame the AI. It really knows how to use all the P-51 strengths, and it has the ability to completely discard any challenges otherwise provided by a heavy, high powered prop driven fighter.

Edited by robban75

AI uses a simplified Flight Model so dont take in count how they flight.

With starting my DCS Career was think the same, but fight the AI on excellent is one of the best trainings to beat them, give you some degree routine what you help in online dogfights to remain calm and deadly.

You have first to look what can my Plane what not, in terms of Dora can (not) beat the P-51 in turning engagement because of his high wing loading and comparable Plane weights.

Dora climb faster and has tremendous acceleration with his paddle Prob.

Post a Video P-51 beaten in 2 Minutes, and the AI is hold his Speed much better then 99% of the Players so this works also against Humans.

(Sorry for the music in Back Round was not supposed to be there :music_whistling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqWPVw6vryY

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

If people have trouble fighting against the AI P51P try this:

When doing the dogfight mission you always start with an energy advantage, but the AI never spins and retains energy in zoom climbs. Try to stay above him and try to move behind him not towards him, and when fighting in the vertical as soon as you dive back to earth and got some nice speed(above 600kp/h) you can really turn nicely back to a climb.

Don't use curves on the pitch axis, keep the input as linear as possible. You don't want any sudden acceleration in pitch if dogfighting becomes frantic. And as soon as your plane starts shaking, just ease on pitch input.

• 2 years later...
  • BIGNEWY unpinned this topic