How to Fly the Dora

Yo-Yo

• ED Team

Some time ago I posted a preliminary report how Dora flies in DCS. It had been written just after a week of test flights. In July I was very glad to spend a lot of time with Erich Brunotte. He is a former Luftwaffe pilot, he flew Ju-52, Bf-109s, FW-190A and Dora as well.

His feedback about Dora FM was really priceless. Moreover, thanks to Erich, now we have a unique document - 190-D9 Pilots Manual that was not available before and is a very useful addition to our sources.

So, we are very grateful for Erich's assistance because it gave us not only an opportunity to tweak Dora but find an old deeply hidden bug...

I will try to add our educational video with some hints taken from this manual and Erich's practice.

Takeoff.

The TO in the video is a little bit gentle... 3250 rpm can be set just from the start of TO roll, release brakes, do not let the plane to yaw applying rudder, stick to the centre. Va = 170-180 kph IAS. (In the game it is 180-190, but I am sure the IAS gauge has errors at low IAS and we still have no correction graph for it. Anyway, the TO roll distance corresponds the value from the manual - 350-400 m)

Dora takes off by herself from three points or tail-heavy attitude.

Gear up at 250 kph, then retract flaps. The best climbing speed is 280-290 kph. TO power in emergency is permitted not more than 30 minuts.

Currently in DCS the rudder is balanced for cruise at 2200-2400 rpm, though the required rudder input is small for the higher power ratings and corresponding speeds.

Landing. Gear down at IAS not more than 300 kph, flaps down at 220-300 kph, IAS at final 220 kph, touchdown at 170. I wrote that in DCS all my attempts performing 2-point landings was not lucky... not only in DCS - real Dora landed ONLY IN THREE-POINT ATTITUDE.

In reality, the flaps can be deployed at IAS exceeding 300 kph without any damage. Erich said that they got planes but they did not get manuals - they were not printed in time or delivered - so they all were test pilots for themselves finding the plane limits.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will we have access to the Pilots manual??

Does it mean that the manual we currently have will be enriched with some more information?

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

Thanks Yo-Yo,

I am intrigued as to what the bug was :)

Also for others...

From The Fw 190 Dora Volume 1 by Jerry Crandall

IMAG0550.jpg

Supports the need for a three point landing given the increase in nose over landings...

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Yeah it would be great to hear more about the interview with Erich and his other thoughts about the Dora's capabilities vs other fighters (US, Brit, Russian) if they were given.

+1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

• ED Team
Thanks.

And now that bug will be bugging me [us] until I [we] know what it was....

Not I, I am just glad that Yo-Yo had the opportunity he did, and it was so helpful that it even found errors in FM... that tells you everything you want to know about ED and its commitment to making the very best sim....

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Indeed it dose and I am greatful of their commitment [including the 3rd parties of course] to give us the opportunity to fly these fantastic warbirds in a way most AAA companies can or will not do.

Thank you Yo-Yo [ED] and Erich Brunotte.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Very nice read!!!

Thank you Yo-Yo for your hard work! It's nice that a real Dora pilot helps to get the best modeled Dora of all time... :thumbup:

Release it now!!! :P

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | 32GB DDR4 RAM | NVidia RTX4080 | MSI B550 TOMAHAWK | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Win 10 Pro 64bit | Track IR4 Pro | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudder Pedals

Thanks Yo Yo, I and many others really do appreciate your diligence... well, the whole team but thank you

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I am also very blessed in that I got to spend alot of time with Erich as well and he has amazing clarity of mind to the point that I was envious.

He has some amazing insight into the performance of the aircraft he flew against other fighters including some tricks that they used to deploy during combat.

We spoke for nearly an hour simply on takeoff technique in a Bf109G-K, I look forward to being able to put into practice some of the lessons and experience that he has passed on.

I was also fortunate enough to be able to give him his first chance to have a sit in a Spitfire Mk XIV, I think he appreciated seeing the aircraft from a different perspective after fighting them all those years ago! Something we will make use of with out MkXIV ;)

Pman

• ED Team
Thanks.

And now that bug will be bugging me [us] until I [we] know what it was....

THis is all about slipstream... so you will feel it in Mustang too. Barely noticable at most of flight cases but be careful performing go-around now... :)

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team

Hope it will be with Dora available... I am already confused myself with two things: DCS world versions and XXXFM abbreviations. :)