DCS Fw 190 D-9 Flight Manual

SimFreak

Very early version of 190 flight manual is attached to the bottom.

Please review and share mistakes, oddities or inaccuracies.

Update by Chizh (2014-06-27)

Corrected Flight Manual here.

Update by Chizh (2014-07-01)

Corrected Flight Manual attached.

Update by Chizh (2014-07-08 )

Update by Chizh (2014-07-10 )

Update by Chizh (2014-08-07 )

Update by Chizh (2014-09-05 )

DCS Fw 190 D-9 Flight Manual EN.pdf

Edited by Chizh

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said to comment details on early Dora manual? Well, page 8, "figure 2: FW190A-4 in flight". She's a well known Fw190G-8 captured by US forces in 1944, actually repainted in German markings after tests at USA flying for the picture. Far from any early A-4. I think it's same National Air & Space Museum preserved aircraft, but not sure about that.

S!

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

page 24:

Bediengerät Engine Control Unit

The Junkers Jumo 213 engine comes equipped with a Bediengerät Engine Control Unit. It is similar in

function to the Kommandogerät command device used on BMW-801-powered earlier variants of the Fw 190.

The english translation of the german terms should probably be put between parenthesis:

Bediengerät - Engine Control Unit

The Junkers Jumo 213 engine comes equipped with a Bediengerät (Engine Control Unit). It is similar in function to the Kommandogerät (Command Device) used on BMW-801-powered earlier variants of the Fw 190.

page 25, paragraph 2:

(...) That enables the Drehzahl rocker switch on the throttle quadrant to set propeller pitch to Größer (Coarse) or Kleiner (Fine). (...)
The blade pitch angle is not "coarse" or "fine", it is "larger" or "smaller" (or is "bigger" and "smaller" better?), isn't it?

Disregard this, "Coarse" and "Fine" seem to be the better terms (http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2087064&postcount=9).

page 32:

Oil System

A 55-liyrt circular oil tank is located in the nose, protected by an armored ring. The oil cooler is also

protected by the ring.

55-liyrt --> 55-liters

And in the next paragraph some temperatures are mentioned. It should probably be stated that these are in degree Celsius.

page 39, paragraph 2:

The FuG 16ZY can also be set to "Leitjäger" or Fighter Formation Leader mode that allows it to use a special Y-Verfarhen ground tracking and direction via the normal headphones.
Y-Verfarhen --> Y-Verfahren

... But the whole sentence is somewhat difficult to understand. "Verfahren" means "method". So, while having no clue what this "Y-method" actually is, I can only guess ... maybe something like this would be better:

The FuG 16ZY can also be set to "Leitjäger" or Fighter Formation Leader mode that allows it to use a special Y-Verfahren (ground tracking and direction finding method) via the normal headphones.

page 44:

The reddish/brownish colour of some instruments (air speed indicator, variometer) on that page, or rather in the cockpit itself (as seen in other screenshots on the forums as well) looks odd to me. Hrm ... I don't want to be an ass, but was this the source for that: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/061114-F-1234P-002.jpg ? Note the manually scribbled km markings at the speed indicator and compare those to the markings of the DCS Fw 190 ... Well, erm, that reddish/brownish colour ... that isn't rust in our plane, isn't it? :D

page 62:

Fuel Tank Selector Lever

The lever is used to open or close the forward and rear fuel tanks depending on flight conditions.

The four possible settings are:

• “Auf” - Open

• “Vorderer behalter zu” - Forward tank closed

• “Hinterer behalter zu” - Aft tank closed

• “Zu” - Closed

behalter --> Behälter

page 63:

MBG Emergency Mode Handle

This handle is connected via cable to the aircraft’s MotorBediengerät (MBG). In normal position MBG operates in automatic mode. In case of emergency, the handle can be pulled to allow the engine to operate at higher boost pressure than normal.

1. MotorBediengerät --> Motorbediengerät

2. The handle is labled "Notzug für Bedien-Getr.", abbreviated for "Notzug für Bedien-Getriebe". Getriebe = gear box or gear mechanism while Gerät = device. I suppose, the gear mechanism ("Bedien-Getr.") is just a part of the engine control unit ("Motorbediengerät"). Maybe this needs a bit more detailing?

page 72:

Figure 68: Throttle Lever

The throttle gate is marked with four standard positions: Aus (Off), Anlassen (Cruise), Steigen (Climb) and Start.

The translation of "Anlassen" as "Cruise" seems odd to me. I know the term "Anlassen" only as the process of starting an engine (i.e. "start"). In this context, I would assume that the other lever position labelled "Start" means "take off".

The throttle positions would then be: "Off" - "Engine start" - "Climb" - "Take off" ... that would make more sense, no?

page 74:

Figure 71: Horizontal Stabilizer Trim Switch

The two available positions are "Kopf-lasting" (Up) and "Schwanz-lasting" (Down).

The hyphenation of the switch labels is odd ... well, wrong. And therefore the description text is also incorrect. The hyphen belongs at the end of the first line. The labels should read therefore

Kopf-

lastig

and

Schwanz-

lastig

and the discription should not include the hyphen and thus just read

Figure 71: Horizontal Stabilizer Trim Switch

The two available positions are "Kopflastig" (Up) and "Schwanzlastig" (Down).

But I can not completely rule out that such labeling back then wasn't used...

Note also it is "...lastig", not "...lasting".

page 75:

Horizontal Stabilizer Trim Indicator

The indicator shows the current position of the adjustable Horizontal Stabilier.

Stabilier --> Stabilizer

page 78, chapter "Communications - Homing Switch"

I think, this chapter could be detailed a bit more in general. The meaning and actual use of the settings "Ft" and "Abst" are not clear (to me). The implications of the two different frequencies for sending and receiving for setting I (and II?) are also quite foggy (again, to me), the meaning of the comment in the red box totally escapes me...

All in all, personally, I would appreciate some more details of how the radio works and how it is (meant) to be used.

page 81:

Figure 77: Circuit Breakers, covers up.

The circuit backer name of device is typed on the cover.

backer --> breaker

page 88:

Switch on Fuel pumps with right console circuit breakers:

o E14 forward tank pump

o E13 aft tank pump

o E96 auxiliary fuel pomp if external tank is connected

o E85 MW50 valve if necessary

pomp --> pump :D

page 89:

Engine Warnup
Warnup --> Warmup

page 90:

Taxing
Taxing --> Taxiing

Edited by Flagrum
  • Like 1

Awesome read. Found a tiny mistake.

"The instrument is graduated from 0 to 4500 and indicates engine speed as Revolutions Per Minute (RPM) in hundreds of RPM. The face is scaled to 100 RPM throughout. The normal operating RPM is 1600 - 2400. The maximum normal RPM is 3000."

If you look at the image in the manual next to this text you can clearly see that the gauge only goes up to 3500 RPM.

FW 190 Dora performance charts:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128354

Good work, Flagrum, you found all the errors I wanted to post and two more. :)

@ED: Already a nice manual, most stuff in there is most informative. :)

Thanks! ;o)

After reading it, it became apparent to me, that the beginning is quite extensive and very informative. After about the first half the chapters became more and more a tad bit short-spoken - so to say. But for such an early draft, as was it mentioned by Matt already, I was still impressed and enjoyed the read quite much. Thank you, ED!

page 24:

The english translation of the german terms should probably be put between parenthesis:

page 25, paragraph 2:

The blade pitch angle is not "coarse" or "fine", it is "larger" or "smaller" (or is "bigger" and "smaller" better?), isn't it?

Flagrum,

Nice work, but the english terms 'coarse' and 'fine' are correct in connection with propeller blade angles.

MAC

Regarding the function and use of the FuG-16ZY radio, I would like to mention a few things, in no particular order:

Luthier asked some time ago already for some information about it:

11. The Frequency dial – what do the frequencies actually do?

The I position is for Y-Führungsfrequenz, or Management frequency.

The II position is for Gruppenbefehlsfrequenz, or Group Order frequency.

The ? position is for Nah-Flugsicherungsfrequenz, or the Air Traffic Control frequency.

The ? position is for Reichsjägerfrequenz, or Reich Fighter Defense Frequency.

That we're clear on. What they were used for however, we need more info on that.

... and got some answer, too:

Hi Ilya!

For details on the FuG 16ZY please refer to a more detailed explanation on pages 41 and 42 in this document: http://www.cdvandt.org/D-Luft-T-4069-FuG-16ZY.pdf

E-Messbetrieb means the Y-device in an aircraft is active (kinda like a mobile radio beacon which allowed ground installations to detect and follow a fighter unit's progress for GCI ops). This device was installed in only a few aircraft per unit (Gefechtsverband) but only one was supposed to be active at one time (the rest were reserve). Any aircraft not supposed to operate in this role had the Y-device physically deactivated before flight.

As far as I understand the manual the I frequency setting (Y-Führungsfrequenz) is for the radio emitter only (the pilot will still hear the unit's command frequency, he just won't be able to talk to them - see page 41 points 352 & 353 of the linked document). If the pilot now switches the AD 18Y selector to Y/ZF mode the Y-device will be active and will give the fighter control officer onthe ground the possibility to track the unit's progress and direct them to the enemy formations.

The II frequency setting is the formation's command frequency (as it was correctly said). ? was correctly translated but I can't say what it was used for. The Reichsjägerfreuqenz on ? was pretty much an information frequency which was used to transmit general information on the tactical situation in the air over Germany to the fighter units. It was mostly a backstop in case the contact between fighters and ground control broke down or was jammed.

Now back to the AD 18Y. In any other setting but I that switch was used to select either radio mode (FT = Funktelegrafie) or to "lock on" to a radio beacon and use it for navigation (ZF = Zielflug-Anzeige), in day fighters usually in combination with the "Anzeigegerät für Funknavigation" (don't know technical abbreviation).

I hope that helps.

I am not entirely sure if that what is in the manual and what csThor describes is equivalent ... or if not, who is right about it. Especially about all that "Y stuff" (Y-Führungsfrequenz, Y-Verfahren, Y-device, etc.).

But the mentioned PDF file, the original german manual, is invaluable (although not an easy read, I admit, if you are not some sort of technician who is fluent in all that radio engineering lingo ... of 1944 ... which I am not :o)

To me it seems, as if Fug-16ZY manual, p. 26, point 142 - 144 (function of the radio for day fighters, including homing), points 145 - 146 (for day fighters without homing capabilities) and points 147 - 152 (night fighers w/ homing) contain a lot of information regarding the various topics (the "y-stuff", "Zielanflug"/homing, FT/ZF switch position, frequency setting I and II for send/receive, etc.

I can not yet quite grab it, but the description of the frequency settings I ("Führungsfrequenz", "management frequency") in the DCS manual is at best misleading, if not wrong. It seems to me, that this has something to do of how the german GCI was working. I think, the "Führungsfrequenz" is for talking to the GCI guys while in "E-Meßbetrieb", which seems to be the way the ground controller tracked the aircraft (see also csThors explanation). This has nothing directly to do with the squadron as stated in the DCS manual. It is more about the GCI operator leading/directing the aircraft to the target ("führen" / "to lead", "to direct").

Also the implications of the parallel send/receive capabilities, in conjunction with the GCI, for the four configurable frequencies in the DCS mission editor ... could be a bit underestimated (I think, we will need more frequencies, even if the selector has only four positions!)

What I would proably also like to see if it would make it into the DCS manual:

- Range of the radio, for plane-to-plane and plane-to-ground transmissions (Fug-16ZY manual, p. 16, point 137)

Ahh well ... this posting starts now to get really messy. Before I confuse everyone even more, I better stop here. But I would like to suggest that someone more capable than me does some research about the german GCI procedures, especially with a focus on radio communications, homing, frequencies, etc.

edit:

found a site that seems to explain the GCI stuff ... complicated stuff (if you are, like me, not familar with all these concepts) ...

http://www.gyges.dk/Wilde%20&%20Zahme%20Sau.htm

http://www.gyges.dk/Jagd%20Verfahren.pdf

Edited by Flagrum

Browsing the manual, I was very surprised to see 2 groups of switches under covers on the cockpit's right hand side. On D-9 the rear group of switches was deleted, and there is actually some proof for that. My question to ED's developers would be: what documents do you have that show on D-9 there are 2 groups of switches under covers? I would be very curious to see it.

Also I was surprised by several switches there. For example, the Außenbord switch. The last Fw 190 version to have this switch was A-5, it was deleted on all newer versions.

Browsing the manual, I was very surprised to see 2 groups of switches under covers on the cockpit's right hand side. On D-9 the rear group of switches was deleted, and there is actually some proof for that.

Agreed, I have some images in my books that show this...

061114-F-1234P-001.jpg

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

• ED Team
Browsing the manual, I was very surprised to see 2 groups of switches under covers on the cockpit's right hand side. On D-9 the rear group of switches was deleted, and there is actually some proof for that. My question to ED's developers would be: what documents do you have that show on D-9 there are 2 groups of switches under covers? I would be very curious to see it.

Also I was surprised by several switches there. For example, the Außenbord switch. The last Fw 190 version to have this switch was A-5, it was deleted on all newer versions.

Please supply any evidence of this and I can submit it, the earlier the better.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I was also suprised by this. . Here are some pictures, I will check when I will be at home also fw 190D Ersatzteilliste if there is something useful.

Question for me is also handle on left console pos.1 (MW-50 to Fuel Handle of water-methanol tank) and switch pos.9 (Radio self-destruction button) I never seen it before. What is the source for this????

06b.jpg.7d859c64cf975000f8d6adff26f313bb.jpg

FW190D-Cockpit-05f-s.jpg.99de7cd999bb3cb1f68a3c46e61e6c19.jpg

Edited by draken152

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Building FW190D pit ,,To Dora with love" http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=132743

Description of the engine is wrong.

The Jumo 213A had a single stage, two speed supercharger!

Critical height is approx. 5500 meters.

The more advanced versions like E or F had two stage, three speed superchargers.

Source: Die deutsche Luftfahrt - Flugmotoren und Strahltriebwerke

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | 32GB DDR4 RAM | NVidia RTX4080 | MSI B550 TOMAHAWK | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Win 10 Pro 64bit | Track IR4 Pro | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudder Pedals

Page 27. "Turning the system on immediately increases engine power by almost 100 HP due to the fact that a cooler engine can pull in more air. At the same time, turning on the MW-50 enables much higher supercharger boost levels."

This doesn't seem quite right to me. Please do correct me if I'm wrong but "engine cooling" by this method would hardly be "immediate". If anything, I'd think the cooling effect on the air, making it more dense, would cause the immediate power increase. I'm always willing to learn something new, though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

Page 27. "Turning the system on immediately increases engine power by almost 100 HP due to the fact that a cooler engine can pull in more air. At the same time, turning on the MW-50 enables much higher supercharger boost levels."

This doesn't seem quite right to me. Please do correct me if I'm wrong but "engine cooling" by this method would hardly be "immediate". If anything, I'd think the cooling effect on the air, making it more dense, would cause the immediate power increase. I'm always willing to learn something new, though.

That is exactly how I - as layman - understood it. If you inject the MW50 it cools the air-fuel mixture, allowing more of it getting into the combustion chamber.

• ED Team

I believe it was pretty much instantaneous because of the mixture used, but I dont profess to understand how it works 100% :) I know it was limited by altitude though, that higher altitudes didnt yeild the same results, where the supercharger isnt able to provide anymore boost.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I believe it was pretty much instantaneous because of the mixture used, but I dont profess to understand how it works 100% :) I know it was limited by altitude though, that higher altitudes didnt yeild the same results, where the supercharger isnt able to provide anymore boost.

I see what you are saying but my point, possibly not clear, was that it's the cooling of the intake airflow not actually cooling the engine itself that would be providing any immediate power increase. Just seemed misleading to me the way it is worded.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access