Gunsight Range Confusion

MADLOU1

Im trying to figure out just how to properly utilize the EZ 42 gunsight range control.

The DCS manual states that after adjusting for wingspan you "set the range to target via twist grip on the throttle." Then you "fly the aircraft so that the target appears within the reticle circle and rotate the throttle twist grip until the diameter of the reticle circle corresponds to the target size."

The DCS training video directs you to set wingspan and when you see a target, adjust the range until the wingtips fill the reticle circle (similar to above) and fire.

Chuck's FW 190 guide states, however,

GUNSIGHT

1.Turn ON your gunsight Gyro Switch(UP)

2.Set Gunsight Wingspan to 11.2 (typical Spitfire and Mustang wingspan)

3.Set Gunsight Rangeto 600m (optimal range for horizontal gun convergence)

4.When the wing of the target fits in your gunsight,you are now in the range set in step 4

To me, Chuck's method makes more sense and its the same procedure as the P51. You set the range for optimal gun convergence BEFORE spotting a target. The DCS method seems to direct that the range be set before BUT THEN AGAIN AFTER spotting the target by adjusting the range to fit the target. So If the target is 600 meters away and the sight was not pre-adjusted for that range, you adjust it for that, if it is 800 meters away and the sight was not pre-adjusted for that, you adjust it for that distance, etc. To me, this seems to indicate that adjusting the range to fit the target (which may vary highly) also adjusts the gun's convergence at the same time. That does not seem likely at all.

At any rate, can anyone tell me which method really works, if either? If the DCS method works, how could that be?

Thanks!

Basically both have the same result.

The key point here is that the gyro will calculate how much lead you need to pull on a target based on the distance you set. So if you set it to 600m and leave it there, and the target is further away, you won't be pulling enough lead. If it's closer, you will be pulling too much. But certainly, you will know exactly when the target is at 600m.

If, however, you adjust the distance to match the wingspan, the sight will calculate the lead correctly. The downside is that it may or may not be at 600m.

I think hitting a target is more important than knowing when it's at convergence range.

I think hitting a target is more important than knowing when it's at convergence range.

Not too sure on this one. Hitting very few bullets for low effect and warning your target may not be advisable. Hitting when at convergence range has devastating effects. I'd be of the opposite opinion :) I think waiting for convergence range is more important

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

First i just want to say if you want to be really effective with the Dora 600m is just waaayyy too far away, you want to fire less than 200m away against fighters. 600m is maybe ok against bombers, haven't tested yet.

I use mostly first method and fixed sight but sometimes i use preset range method (except i set the range to ~ 200m instead of 600m) and they all work. However preset range method is only usefull if you are attacking unaware target from behind while constantly adjusting the range is more usefull in combat too IMO.

Guns on the Dora are relatively close to each other so convergence is not a big deal unlike in Spitfire or Mustang where all guns are on wings and quite far away from each other. With Dora (and 109 or any other plane with nose or close to nose mounted guns) any range from point blank to ~600m will put a most of the rounds on target if your aim is good so no need to worry about being on convergence range, at least i never do.

Hi gents,

the D-9 gunsight is a mirical for it self. I know how it works or should work, as there are a lot of information in the net about it. But it tuned out that i am to stupit to use it. So i got thrue 3 steps how to use the gunsight.

1) Using it in auto mode:

Set wingspann to 11,2 meters, the range to 400m as 600m is normaly only for 4 mot bombers or 2 mot bombers as B-25/B-26. It helps a lot to shoot at enemy fighters at longer range 400m that are in a nice easy climb turn or from dead six. Now 2 things happens to me:

a) i hit the target at 400m and it went down, nice and easy.

b) i come closer and corected the range til it fitts again and open fire, sometimes it works sometimes not. As you are not all the time fast enouth to set the corect range and it get worse and worser as closer i come as the gunsight starts to mover more and more.

than i made some test in DCS and research in the net and set the gunsight new to this: Fixed distance, set to 125m. As this is the first time the 20mm

will cross the horizontal gunsigh line. Winspan is the only thing i correct if i go for fighter or bomber, that all.Also i found out, that the end of the vertical line that is over the horizontal line, fits more or less to the 20mm bullet position at 400 meter.

2) Using half auto mode:

As noted above 125m disance at 11,2m wingspan and automatic on. This happens:

I can now attack enemy at distances from 125m - 400m with the automatic and have all the time the same settings, as i calculate the different ranges as i have a normal gunsight. But let me show from the automatic the leed i need for a shot at 125m and 11.2m wingspan. The rest does my brain :music_whistling::megalol:. Works better than full automatic, but for fast and last corection it is stil not good. So i went now to this:

3) Full manuell use with 125m range and 11.2m wingspan settings. Works best so far for me. As i know 2 points where the 20mm bullets will be: 125m and 400m. The rest is my brain and experience. And this works better than all others, for dead six shots ore with leed for climbing or turning enemys also. But works best for last and fast corection on high deflection shoots.

In the moment i am thinking about using half auto mode for targets that are moving normal and dont see me, and full manual for vertical turnfights and hard moving targets.

So this where my long 2 cents. Makes sence i hope.

regards

Little_D

Edited by Little_D

1./JG2_Little_D

Staffelkapitän

1./Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Go for the leader, if you can. The path is the goal, the kill the result."

"The one who has 12, leads. The one who has six, follows."

YouTube Channel: 1./JG2 Filmkanal

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Little_D , 125 - 150m for fighters it's a very good distance , works best.

Even the luftwaffe aces were saying , only shoot when the target is very close.

Don't forget to use your EZ 42 Gunsight Adjustment Unit and adjust for your altitude ... if you want spot on shots that is. (i mostly use it when i shoot bombers from long distances and i need as much accuracy i can get) :thumbup:

Edited by predattak