Revisiting the Dora

NineLine

Forgive me if I missed something obvious, but is there a way to get English subtitles on that video? I ended up just reading the transcript, but I'd like to be able to see what he's saying as he says it.

In the top left corner you can choose CC.

• Like 1

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Loved watching this interview.

I´m a little unsure, because I think he made a one or two small errors in his narration, but is it true that the D-9 should start spinning in the direction opposite of the turn? He mentions it around 38:00.

If I remember correctly, in DCS the Dora will always roll to the left in case of a stall.

It´s been a while since I´ve tried it, but very early on I found this to be indeed a very useful last resort when flying defensively.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

• ED Team
Loved watching this interview.

I´m a little unsure, because I think he made a one or two small errors in his narration, but is it true that the D-9 should start spinning in the direction opposite of the turn? He mentions it around 38:00.

If I remember correctly, in DCS the Dora will always roll to the left in case of a stall.

It´s been a while since I´ve tried it, but very early on I found this to be indeed a very useful last resort when flying defensively.

We spoke about it... Erich told us that he practiced snap rolls in 190A only. And the technics was - engine at idle then pull the stick up to stall. The plane went to a half roll out of turn. As he mentioned he never tried it with Dora.

Generally, as we asked him about accelerated stalls and spins, he told that he never experienced it because of good training and feel of the plane.

And, by the way, I rememeber when and where I heard the story about the Mistel ("Father-and-Son") - in the car, during the great transfer across Germany... :) MACADEMIC, I guess, never forgets this jorney... :)

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
Why? Was the D model incapable of safe/effective snaprolls, or were snaprolls regarded as redundant because of the high roll rate?

There was no use to perform it - Dora never was in the position for this snap roll :) due to it superiority.

And, yes, Dora has better damping in yaw and pitch due to the increased arm. I can not say how does it affect the difference in snap roll ability... as I have not model A yet.

UPD. DCS Dora does flip out of turn at idle...

I also asked about the IAS - it was not lower than 450 kph, and I presumed, that the altitude was 4000-6000 as well.

Edited by Yo-Yo

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• 2 weeks later...

While in multiplayer can the one hosting change the overall running of a plane as far as the engine and such. The reason why am asking because when I'm flying the FW1 90 in single player and one I'm flying against multiplayer on this server it seem like the Dora or the axis planes in general sucked dog big time but yet the mustang flew easy accelerated easy it's just was very odd . what I mean by that is it's just can win a fight to save the day and we can accelerate without blowing up how I could damn your idol the mustang in that same server and I could easily out climb a Dora in full swing it was almost humorous

Edited by Hermit713

That long interview was fantastic, thanks again for sharing!

Erich must be every interviewers dream: A short question, 10+ minutes of complete, exhaustive and entertaining answer. ;)

Plus, the questions were very good as well.

That's what still tricks many glider pilots - the outside spin - specially on the turn to final...

In gliders this is actually the most common consequence of entering an ( unexpected ) spin during a turn, at low speed / high AoA.

I notice it in both the D-9 and the A-3 and A-5 models ( of another sim I also use ).

What I find great about all ww2 aircraft in DCS is the modelling of static pitch stability. Once perturbed in pitch, they don't instantly return to the initial pitch / AoA as being tied by rubber band to their flight path.

OTOH, I find the prop effects at low speeds / higher AoA in the D-9 strangely "effective". Whenever I takeoff in the Dora ( but the same applies for instance to the P51d, and somehow the Spitfire too, the 109 K-4 being the only exception ) the aircraft wobbles, it's longitudinal axis describing a spiral, until it gains considerable speed. Takeoffs must be performed at shallow angles to avoid this effect.

The same applies when configured for landing. Any tiny thurst adjustment creates this moments that translate into that clockwise "wobbling"....

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• 1 month later...

Absolutely. Coming from PPL in Cessna 172 with<200hp where engine torque was only a factor on take-off roll, which could be corrected with a little right rudder: to these beasts with nearly 2000hp was a real eye opener. Managing yaw and attitude on throttle change is the critical skill to flying these planes

• 1 year later...

"piano from the 7th floor"

I have experienced this effect at my first few landing trainings with the dora in DCS so I guess this effect has been perfectly simlulated because it exactly feels like a "piano from the 7th floor". :D

I have just watched this interview for the first time but I have to say when he talks about the landing and takeoff about his real experience with this plane its like he is talking about how the dora works I have flown in the past few days in DCS. Nice interview it was very entertaining.

Well done!

edit: where is the part 2?

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

• 6 months later...
  • ED Team

I planned to return to the part 2 this autumnб as I would be not so loaded with the main work. But the situation even worsened. But I have good news: in few days we are going to meet Erich again as we did in 2014. Though we have a lot of our own questions to him, I will try to ask the most interesting questions from the forum.

Before posting your questions, please, carefully watch both interviews - for DCS and for The Heritage Collection (http://video.flyingheritage.com/v/116079427/feldwebel-erich-brunotte.htm) to avoid already answered questions.

And due to technical reasons I can not bring a notebook with DCS to Erich.

And, I hope, a new material will help to release the old one like in FIFO stack.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Didn't david help you translate the remaining parts from the first interview some time ago? Are you going to post these together with the second interview?

Either way good to hear. I'm sure it will be interesting to watch. I assume this is in concert with the work going on with the A-8?

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

• ED Team
Didn't david help you translate the remaining parts from the first interview some time ago? Are you going to post these together with the second interview?

Either way good to hear. I'm sure it will be interesting to watch. I assume this is in concert with the work going on with the A-8?

Yes, he did, and I am very grateful for his help in translation, regardless of subsequent history... But the video requires a lot of routine and creative work I can not afford now.

Yes, A8 is in the plans, but it is not the only theme to talk about.

Yes, he did, and I am very grateful for his help in translation, regardless of subsequent history... But the video requires a lot of routine and creative work I can not afford now.

Yes, A8 is in the plans, but it is not the only theme to talk about.

do you already have a list of questions you are going to ask him?

well yeah, i read that post...but are we supposed to ask the questions here in this thread? will there be a seperate thread for it? or are the questions already determined by Yo-Yo and other ED staff, and they already decided what the most interesting questions of the community are?

Brilliant news!

Erich's answers on the previous interviews were so vivid and comprehensive, I really wouldn't know what else to ask him, but I've got a feeling that if he's given just an idea of a question, he'll go on for another 10+ minutes with fascinating tales from past events and experiences, and an hour or two will have passed in no time, filled with tons of fascinating information. Can't wait for the interview! :thumbup:

But I have good news: in few days we are going to meet Erich again as we did in 2014. Though we have a lot of our own questions to him, I will try to ask the most interesting questions from the forum.

That's great news, thanks Yo-Yo. I hope that Erich is still in good health and doing quite well!

I cannot wait to watch this video down the line. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 8 months later...
  • ED Team