How to Takeoff in the Dora

SimFreak

Well, you shouldn't "hold" rudder indeed but tap it when needed, if you hold it you'll make a nice trek in the country to the side you hold.

S!

I hold my Rudder in the Dora, I do relax it though as speed picks up and to prevent veering off the runway. I use a twist stick so lack the usefulness of rudder pedals.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It might be my setup, but I did read an earlier tip to correct only with right rudder, so I start the run with stick back and a little right rudder, but releasing, and adding it to correct drift, like Grundar, relaxing it once the tail is up.

The key for me at least was to add a little nose down trim before rolling, not leaving it at 0 degrees as per manual.

The most important thing for me is to relax the back stick at the correct time, giving it right aileron to correct any tendancy to roll, and even a little forward stick if the nose tries to rise too quickly.

Still not perfect but getting there.

It might be my setup, but I did read an earlier tip to correct only with right rudder, so I start the run with stick back and a little right rudder, but releasing, and adding it to correct drift, like Grundar, relaxing it once the tail is up.

The key for me at least was to add a little nose down trim before rolling, not leaving it at 0 degrees as per manual.

The most important thing for me is to relax the back stick at the correct time, giving it right aileron to correct any tendancy to roll, and even a little forward stick if the nose tries to rise too quickly.

Still not perfect but getting there.

You are correct in every respect. And the pitch down trim being helpful in many cases might do a lot with poor sim controls on the market. It's not the first time I've read about using pitch down trim. What I do is I always fly with controls indicator so that I can glimpse at the stick carret when in doubt (often). This will go away after I finish my DIY set of controls.

• 3 months later...

Just a personal note...I've been trying to get a handle on taking off in this lovely plane since it came out, and finally got a feel for it today. WOOT!

It's weird. I can't tell you what clicked, but I can take off every time now with no issues.

Weird as it sounds, I've been flying the L-39 a lot lately and focusing on the fundamentals that I overlooked in the past in my eagerness to get fighting. As a result, I have a lot better feel for what an aircraft is doing, scan the instruments far better instead of relying on the HUD/TAD/TGP sweep from the Hog, and can react far more appropriately to correct mistakes.

I never expected the L-39 to improve my prop flying skills, but I think it did. Almost certain of it.

I know it's the FW-190 section, but it bears mentioning that even though its sexier to fly fighters the whole time, trainer aircraft like the L-39 are an express train to improving your stick and rudder skills. Maybe give it a try?

Looking forward to the FW-190...it's different, for sure, and will open up new pathways into flight and multiplayer that I didn't have access to before. Good times!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Whew. A hard bird to fly, just began seriously learning her yesterday while enjoying a couple of New Year ales. Anyway, on takeoffs you REALLY need to keep that tailwheel locked until you've got the airspeed for the tail and the rudder, or it all ends in pirouettes and tears I found :D And on landings as well; lock that tailwheel ASAP or suffer the consequences.

I bought the D9 on day one, but never got around to actually flying her until now. Didn't know what I missed because she's a bloody work of art, pretty and deadly at the same time! So thank you ED for this magnificent piece of good old German (and ED) engineering :thumbup:

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 3 months later...

Finally getting a handle on handling this bird on the ground and on takeoff. Reading so many posts in this massive thread did help but I think some hurt, too :P I'd like to share what worked best for me and what didn't.

Taxi: The first big revelation is that the tailwheel locks as it passes through center (with stick held aft). I had so many problems swinging left and right wildly with the toebrakes trying to make it go straight until I figured out getting it mostly straight, locking the tailwheel, then waggling left and right until the tailwheel passed through center. THEN it locked. I taxi now mostly with the tailwheel locked, only unlocking to make large turns.

Takeoff: I've seen so many different methods on this thread. Lock the tailwheel; don't lock the tailwheel; rudder; toe brakes. First off, taking off with unlocked tailwheel (and full power from brakes) was disastrous for me. I tried "dancing" on the pedals as suggested, and I felt like I kept the plane mostly straight, but when it lifted up it flipped upside down on me! The second time I tried it, I went right onto the grass with too little rudder authority to fix things at 70 kph or more, and crashed.

here's what does work: Align the plane straight down the runway slowly and gently, lock the tailwheel, then brake to a stop. Run up to max power and let go of the brakes, keeping the stick full aft and tailwheel locked. Almost immediately I feel I have some rudder authority for small lineup corrections if needed. Right rudder is most often needed. At 100kph, bring the stick back to center. At 150 - 170, the plane starts to get light on its own, and also begins rolling left. So put in right stick to counter that. By 200kph, the plane takes off on its own. That's it. Actually fairly easy once I knew what to expect and when. Feels consistent and safe.

LOCK THE TAIL WHEEL!

• Thanks 1

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

...here's what does work: ...

LOCK THE TAIL WHEEL!

Works for me too

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 year later...

hi,

i have issue directing my plane on the ground. i have a hard time managing the breaks too, i don't know if both or just the right is locked, but the plane stop, if i unlock it turn left.

can you tell me what command to use to go left and right reliably ?

also, i think something is broken with the 109, when i load a specific map with it the game crash each time, is it a known issue ?

thx

hi,

i have issue directing my plane on the ground. i have a hard time managing the breaks too, i don't know if both or just the right is locked, but the plane stop, if i unlock it turn left.

can you tell me what command to use to go left and right reliably ?

also, i think something is broken with the 109, when i load a specific map with it the game crash each time, is it a known issue ?

thx

It's difficult task, just practice.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

thx

Which map, and do you mean 109 or 190?

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

hi,

it is more the difficult, it is impossible, can you tell me what is the key to use to go left and right ? i don't get it at all... il2 took me a long time but i finally managed, but dcs, man...

for the crash with 109 don't remember, i think it is caucasus qith cold start.

i'll notify the dev if need be, but they should be already infrme, it's been the case for some time.

any help for steering on ground much appreciated .

good evening

hi,

it is more the difficult, it is impossible, can you tell me what is the key to use to go left and right ? i don't get it at all... il2 took me a long time but i finally managed, but dcs, man...

for the crash with 109 don't remember, i think it is caucasus qith cold start.

i'll notify the dev if need be, but they should be already infrme, it's been the case for some time.

any help for steering on ground much appreciated .

good evening

In Bf109 or Fw190 you are using left and right brake to turn.

Bf109 has separate tail wheel lock which you can lock or unlock

Fw190 tail wheel lock is incorporated in to stick "hold stick full aft to lock tail wheel"

Tail wheel locked helps with straight taxi and take off and landing, Unlocked tail wheel helps with maneuvering while taxing.

You have to find key binding by yourself i just simply don't remember them.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

...it is more the difficult, it is impossible, can you tell me what is the key to use to go left and right ? ...

It's neither difficult nor impossible, but you need pedals with wheelbrake axes. And then you need to train your feet to push the brake pedals very gently.

For the take-off run, once I'm aligned with the runway, I do not use the wheelbrakes at all. Rudder fully right, stick pulled back (to lock the tailwheel) and then full power. The rudder will very quickly get authority, so you need to reduce rudder input to keep running straight. Once the needle goes above 100 km/h start moving the stick forward to its neutral position to let the tail go up. If you keep the stick pulled back she will try to lift off with insufficient speed, and that's guaranteed death. When she starts getting light on the wheels, start pulling the stick back gently and let her lift off (not steep!). All movements of stick and rudder should be gentle!

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 year later...

I think it is the in the way DCS made it! ....... There never was a real WWII bird built that was so dangerous for a new pilot to even taxi as the DCS war birds. If there was there wouldn't have been one left in flyable condition after one day of training. As for me, I'm not going to waste one more minute trying to perfect a taxi and take off in the Dora.  P-51   ....not much better! ...Moving on.................   

Com on, P-51 is hard to taxi ?? P-51 is the easiest one, Fw190 is very easy as well.

As in any tail dagger, use of rudder and differential braking is the way to taxi those planes.

Someone sake which button to press to go left or right, there is non, it will be some kind of combination of inputs.

After turn is made pilot need to apply rudder and differential braking to straight plane roll, there is no such a thing that you press button  to turn right and lift it plane will straight it self.

You cant expect DCS war birds to do it, at this level of realism and price you paid for the module.

Edited by grafspee

6 minutes ago, grafspee said:

Com on, P-51 is hard to taxi ?? P-51 is the easiest one, Fw190 is very easy as well.

It's pointless to talk about. The sim crashes everytime the Dora crashes too.     ..... But true...the P51 is better.  .... I did manage to get airborne a couple of times in the Dora the day before yesterday but I have no idea how.

Edited by Cpt Cuckoo

12 minutes ago, Cpt Cuckoo said:

It's pointless to talk about. The sim crashes everytime the Dora crashes too.     ..... But true...the P51 is better.  .... I did manage to get airborne a couple of times in the Dora the day before yesterday but I have no idea how.

Most ppl don't watch airspeed, pulls too much and dropping wing in to the ground at time of the lift.

It's not like in F-16 that you rotate plane above 120kts, here you need to speed up the plane and plane will lift it self, this mean that in most cases you need to push stick forward not pull. Its like trying to take off in Su-27 with flyby wire turn off(cobra mode).

For me take off in warbirds brings the most fun for me.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, grafspee said:

Most ppl don't watch airspeed, pulls too much and dropping wing in to the ground at time of the lift.

It's not like in F-16 that you rotate plane above 120kts, here you need to speed up the plane and plane will lift it self, this mean that in most cases you need to push stick forward not pull. Its like trying to take off in Su-27 with flyby wire turn off(cobra mode).

For me take off in warbirds brings the most fun for me.

I made myself a nice little mission just for this with the Syria map and Beirut Airport...and loaded a Dora and a P-51 on the runway and set the time to just after sunrise.  (Oh and my beautiful F-16 is there too just for good measure)  The Dora doesn't crash DCS anymore either. So I have been comparing the Dora takeoff to P-51. The P-51 is easier. Still can't get the Dora off the ground. I think it has something to do with brakes. I've used a couple of different mappings for the brakes and no luck.  I think I need graduated pressure braking. Not brakes that are either on or off.

Btw....do you find the 109 easier than the Dora?

Edited by Cpt Cuckoo

Hi

in the bf109 you can lock the tailwheel with a lever, but you must taxi 

and Takeoff with the Brakes .

Imo the 109 is more difficult to take off

so if you have Problems with 190 i think you will not be happy with 109

btw. You can Test ist for free

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 3900xt 32 Gb DDR 4 NVIDIA RTX 4070ti

6 minutes ago, rforce said:

Hi

in the bf109 you can lock the tailwheel with a lever, but you must taxi 

and Takeoff with the Brakes .

Imo the 109 is more difficult to take off

so if you have Problems with 190 i think you will not be happy with 109

btw. You can Test ist for free

I'm testing the 190 now.  If I  don't get any better in a week I may just stay with my P-51. Which after flying the 190 I'm beginning to like the Mustang more. Once the 190 is in the air I like it better than the Mustang. 

@Cpt Cuckoo- If your problem with Fw takeoffs is related to loss of directional control on the ground, keep in mind that although both Dora and Mustang share the same method of locking the tailwheel (by stick), there is an important difference - the transition point from locked to unlocked state happens in the middle of stick movement in the Mustang, but 3/4 back in the Dora. Thus, it's easy to unlock the wheel in the latter by mistake by pushing the stick a bit forward too early. Keep it back until your're sure the rudder is effective enough and then move it forward.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Recorded my take off in Dora, maybe it will help a bit.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 2