How is Taiwan not a faction yet?

carss

6 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

This is a game.  Putting Nazi in a game doesn't mean the game company supports Nazi.

Even so, things like the Fw 190, Bf 109 and third reich flag not having swastikas due to them being banned in places like Germany, the Netherlands etc, even for cases like satire or mockery.

It really doesn't matter if it's 'just a game' and if we might think it's maybe silly, but what we think doesn't really have any bearing in any of this.

6 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

If China is really meddling in game content, well... that's actually pretty funny.

It's certainly not the only one, at the end of the day, China is probably too big of a market to lose for DCS, and developing country specific versions would probably entail more workload than just having one client that conforms to all.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

43 minutes ago, Badger1-1 said:

Actually in Germany you can show swastikas etc. if it fulfills an educational purpose. A few years back they even allowed it in games if the same purpose is achieved iirc.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks.

However, I have my doubts this would apply to DCS, and developers are playing it safe.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Its an endless game of politics and finances. If ED would do this and China blocks DCS in their country, it would probably be a huge (potential) loss of revenue. Im pretty convinced if for this reason modules got more expensive because ED needs to compensate, people would feel different about it. Money talks, its the way it works. If you really want to, you can add it yourself, but I'm afraid we won't see it added to the game officially. Wrong as it may be, it is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

1 hour ago, Badger1-1 said:

Actually in Germany you can show swastikas etc. if it fulfills an educational purpose. A few years back they even allowed it in games if the same purpose is achieved iirc.

I assume it's just less of a hassle to exclude them. That way there's less chance you have to argue that a player named "BiG_Spliff_SmoKe_FiEnD" sporting a Hakenkreuz is educational.

• Like 2

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Just looking at this on the practical side, we have the Combined Task Force nations and we have Taiwanese skins for at least some aircraft. They're basically in the game already, just not labeled specifically by name.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

12 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

Just looking at this on the practical side, we have the Combined Task Force nations and we have Taiwanese skins for at least some aircraft. They're basically in the game already, just not labeled specifically by name.

And sadly, thanks to the CCPs stranglehold on the world right now, it's not likely to change any time soon. Heck, there's a whole list of banned Server Names and Phrases specifically to appease that horrible regime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evanf117 said:

ED probably makes enough money without china, id say that they should just have 2 versions, one with the tiwan faction and one without

"Enough" is a relative term. Just because you turn a profit, doesn't mean it's enough in the eyes of so many.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

8 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

It really doesn't matter if it's 'just a game' and if we might think it's maybe silly, but what we think doesn't really have any bearing in any of this.

And any of this has no bearing on what I think and I think it's pretty hillarious.

And I do believe what "we" think has bearing in everything.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

No need whatsoever to pander to the likes of the PRC

Unless you're interested in being available to the Chinese market...

System:

2 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Unless you're interested in being available to the Chinese market...

Which, given that its a communist country, one has to wonder how far ED would be willing to alter the sim to suit ideological constraints.

• Like 1

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

2 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

Which, given that its a communist country, one has to wonder how far ED would be willing to alter the sim to suit ideological constraints.

Apparently the censor.lua is your answer...

And I have a hunch that Jinping probably doesn't pay much attention to how many times the J-11 gets shot down...

Edited by Northstar98

System:

Regardless, I doubt many folks in the PRC have the freedom to purchase or play DCSW.  Not to mention a sizable portion of the billion odd folks there have no electricity.

• Like 1

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

On 11/15/2021 at 7:42 AM, MrDieing said:

Its an endless game of politics and finances. If ED would do this and China blocks DCS in their country, it would probably be a huge (potential) loss of revenue. Im pretty convinced if for this reason modules got more expensive because ED needs to compensate, people would feel different about it. Money talks, its the way it works. If you really want to, you can add it yourself, but I'm afraid we won't see it added to the game officially. Wrong as it may be, it is what it is.

I'm wondering if the following would be possible, adding a faction in the Chinese version of DCS called Rebels, while everyone else gets Taiwan or even have them show up as insurgents for chinese players?

Edited by upyr1

8 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

Related, I seriously believe that swastikas should be on the period aircraft for accuracy reasons.  REALLY sick of this sad cancel culture GARBAGE.

It's hardly "cancel culture", it's straight up illegal in a fair amount of European countries.

DCS isn't the only game this affects either...

• Like 2

System:

4 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

It's hardly "cancel culture", it's straight up illegal in a fair amount of European countries.

I'm pretty sure it's changing.

However, toys and games were not usually covered by these exceptions (at least in Germany) until August 2018, when the German video game rating bureau USK decided to allow swastikas in video games on a case-by-case basis provided they were "socially adequate", meaning they have to serve an artistic purpose (such as in Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus) or be used to represent historical events.

Source

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

I'm pretty sure it's changing.

Source

That's good to hear, though Germany isn't the only country this affects.

System:

10 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

I’m aware it’s illegal in the EU and how sad for them.  Nothing is gained nor learned from denying history.

• Like 2