Wasd going to buy this after testing it for free (why I wont)

Hotdognz

I love the i16, fly it heaps in IL2 Great Battles, but after testing it yesterday for free the only thing stopping me getting this is that I need a hold a button down for a very long time to raise that landing gear, I understand its realistic but holding a button for a while gets tedious very quickly for both raising and lowering the gear and I wouldn't bother flying it for that reason alone so it would be wasted money>

I think they missed a great opportunity by allowing a option for gear assist much like the rudder assist option in the games menus, it such a lovely plane and model in DCS, the developers did a great job on it for sure.

Wow you are spoiled. IL-2 1946 you had to push the G button 20 times to raise and lower the gear. Simulating the physical need to crank the gear handle.

The biggest problem is DCS is, there is no map, counterpart or time setting for the I-16.

It is strange how important features of a primitive mechanism can upset people. I can understand the frustration of course, but sometimes being philosophical about these things matters. Can you argue that this is the best ever simulation of this icon? I guess being served up less taxing products elsewhere spoils us somewhat?

I’m prettty sure pressing G just does it automatically

Negative. The command "G" is for "Landing Gear Next State".

Using that command allows you to simplify the gear up and down movements, as it automates the gear brake, gear block and up/down lever movements.

The real pilots didn't have that luxury. They had to hold the stick with their left and turn the crank with their right hand and it was a physical effort, and they had to make sure these 3 levers I mentioned were in the right position before they started turning.

If you don't like to hold the up or down button down for the time it takes, you could use maintained switches instead of pushbuttons. The Autopilot 3-position switch on the Warthog throttle would be an excellent candidate for that.

As far as I'm concerned, I agree with Neil. And for me the gear mechanism is part of the fun with this module.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I really like this module and will buy it for sure. Oh, and Finnish skin is quite cool.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Wow you are spoiled. IL-2 1946 you had to push the G button 20 times to raise and lower the gear. Simulating the physical need to crank the gear handle.

I think it was even 50 taps. I remember having a script that would autofire the keys I used (perdiod and comma) and even with that I had to hold down the key for quite some time.

Negative. The command "G" is for "Landing Gear Next State".

Using that command allows you to simplify the gear up and down movements, as it automates the gear brake, gear block and up/down lever movements.

The real pilots didn't have that luxury. They had to hold the stick with their left and turn the crank with their right hand and it was a physical effort, and they had to make sure these 3 levers I mentioned were in the right position before they started turning.

If you don't like to hold the up or down button down for the time it takes, you could use maintained switches instead of pushbuttons. The Autopilot 3-position switch on the Warthog throttle would be an excellent candidate for that.

As far as I'm concerned, I agree with Neil. And for me the gear mechanism is part of the fun with this module.

This. Actually I'd even want to grab that crank with my Touch controller and actually crank it instead of just clicking, pressing or holding something repeatedly/for a while.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Wow. What a pain in the ass flight simmers must be to have to deal with. I couldn't do it. I'd be telling people to go F themselves!

So, you're not going to buy an airplane because you have to hold a button down too long. Don't ever buy an F4F Wildcat if they make one. You had to crank the landing gear handle 32 times to get the gear up. Horrors!

The planes are either not realistic enough....or they're too realistic. Yeah, I'd be telling people to go F themselves for sure.

Wow. What a pain in the ass flight simmers must be to have to deal with. I couldn't do it. I'd be telling people to go F themselves!

So, you're not going to buy an airplane because you have to hold a button down too long. Don't ever buy an F4F Wildcat if they make one. You had to crank the landing gear handle 32 times to get the gear up. Horrors!

The planes are either not realistic enough....or they're too realistic. Yeah, I'd be telling people to go F themselves for sure.

I think you have a point there. I have seen so many bitching posts in this forum it's incredible. Sometimes I unsubsribe from a thread I would be interested in but for the wailing and bitching.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The I-16 is pretty impressive for what it is, a labour of love from what looks like a One-Man-Development-Team.

It reminds me of an overweight Christen Eagle II with BFG's. It felt like flying the most MODERN WWI BIPLANE NEVER created.

I spent an hour strafing everything I could - let's just say bullet convergence was not a problem, but taking off does require patience and a lot of practice. Lol.

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

...but taking off does require patience and a lot of practice. Lol.

So does landing. I rarely complete my landings without a pirouette.

LeCuvier

• 4 months later...

You beat me to it. I was gonna mention the Wildcat and if

I'm not mistaken, it was 39 times on the crank not 32.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

..... wow, why does this thread even exist, LoL. If you don't like the idea of spending alot of time doing things the old fashioned way - in every way - if you will, choosing to fly the hard way... the 1920s/30s way... then absolutely, the I-16 is NOT for you.

This plane is an acquired taste in the simulation world for sure, its not for everyone, but the challenge of safely operating the aircraft while also managing the ancient clockwork mechanisms required for the landing gear etc is THE WHOLE POINT and what makes it fun, for people who enjoy that sort of thing (admittedly, not that many of us do), so... no.

The I-16 is undoubtedly, the hardest taildragger to learn in DCS, and that is the appeal of it to almost all of us, because it is great fun mastering that challenge.

It is a great feeling to safely complete a flight in this thing on a multiplayer server, taxi straight, land and takeoff straight, dont break anything etc, and fly with other people... I have actually won a couple dogfights with 109s for example where the other player just couldn't handle the slow speed turns, its novelty fun thats for sure, but great fun.

So... yeah, not for you if you like simple planes :)

• Like 1