The difference a better HOTAS makes?

So, I'm currently rocking the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X with the TFRP pedals. E.G. The budget of budget HOTAS setups.

I'm saving up for a new hotas, mainly because I have a single hat switch, so I'm using two modifiers on the throttle to get the other hats to fly the F18 (which...kinda works?)

I'm looking at either the Grey X56 which apparently address the many issues with the older release. or...save up for the Warthog (Hoping the F-18 version comes out soon, so I can just get that one and be done).

My main question is this, I've been practicing case 1 landings, and really struggling with the throttle management to maintain AOA and a proper rate of descent. Would a better HOTAS/Throttle help with that? Or is it purely a matter of continued practice?

(Also pondering just getting the Warthog throttle, and keeping the HOTAS X stick for the time being. Cost difference is negligible buying separate vs package)

I think , given budgetary concerns , that your alternative plan to purchase a warthog throttle only makes a lot of sense . My personal experience with Saitek is such that you couldn't give me another one .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I would start with a better joystick from VKB or from Virpil (VPC). You can use the throttle you have in the meantime (split the T.Flight HOTAS X and put its joystick out of the way).

While a good throttle is nice to have, a good joystick is more important.

Agreed, I have a HotasX and the throttle works prety well. The stick on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired. You may find a stick to help you on landing more than a new throttle. Especialy one with a longer throw/extention on it. Allows for finer control adjustments and allows you to reduce or eliminate axis curves for more precision.

A better HOTAS will help if it lightens your workload (more hats/buttons like you mentioned), and is more precise.

For the price you would see a pretty big improvement with the Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS. It uses the same (or similar) sensors to the Warthog.

I have both the Warthog and the X56, and prefer the WH. I won't claim that either makes me a better pilot, but if your budget allows the WH is hard to beat. Virpil and VKB are better, but you will pay more, and often have to wait as they are built in limited numbers and sellout fast.

For your specific use case of case I in the F-18, throttle is much more important than stick; really any cheap stick does fine with the fly by wire jets. The high end sticks with extensions and notchless gimbals and progressive tension are really only better with non FBW aircraft and especially props and helos where you need to counteract prop forces with subtle off center inputs.

Best pricepoint for F-18 is get a Thrustmaster TWCS wherever, and stalk fleabay for a used CH Fighterstick USB for $30-50 USD. Then as additional money comes online, upgrade the Fighterstick sensors with rel4y's magres kit, and get a small tube of Nyogel 767a to slather on every moving surface on the stick and the throttle.

I keep going back and fourth on this.

The X56 has an awesome button layout for me, and at a decent price point.

But even the new Logitech Grey one seems to suffer from some issues. (Seems like it's either perfect or terrible depending on who you asks).

The warthog...I just can't justify it's cost. I mean, I get to fly between 3-5 hours a week. $400+ is a lot. (even breaking it up between two purchases).

I may wind up just getting the TWCM Throttle and then start modding the HOTAS X throttle into a button box. (There's 8 bind-able buttons on the throttle of the HOTAS.X, just put those on a couple switches and buttons, and maybe one back into the stick as a pinky button and switch...)

Hmm..might be more fun to do that... Wish I could get another 4 way HAT on the stick though.

Edited by A2597

I went from an ancient and well used X45 to a TM warthog that I found on sale, and the difference was beyond night and day. Way more precision with the warthog, just vastly better in every way.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

the TWCM throttle + a ch products f-16 stick should be pretty awesome compared to your current setup.

I have to say moving to a warthog way back when, having all the hatswitches and buttons certainly makes life easier in DCS World. I mean, especially the A-10C.. it's really quite an experience given how much is controlled by the hotas in that aircraft.... but it's made all aircraft easier to bind controls for.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.