Need opinions! Hop up TM Cougar or go Warthog or other? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #11
heloguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel_chw View Post
Isn't that model only for the TM Warthog?
I have an FSSB R3 Warthog, and both a Cougar and Warthog grip. Both grips work fine on the R3, not to mention, I imagine you'll find easier mounting solutions with the R3 over the R2..
Nvidia GTX 1080ti
32gb RAM
Windows 10 x64
Samsung Odyssey
Fixed Wing: WH Throttle, BRD Black Stork, BRD F1 Pedals
Rotary Wing: Microhelis EC-135 Collective, Komodosim Cyclic (135)

Sim 2
I7 3770k
Nvidia GTX 1080
32gb RAM
Windows 10 x64
Oculus Rift
Fixed Wing: WH Throttle, VKB Gunfighter, Slaw Viper Pedals
Rotary Wing: Komodosim Collective (135)
heloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #12
crazyave

Quote:
Originally Posted by heloguy View Post
I have an FSSB R3 Warthog, and both a Cougar and Warthog grip. Both grips work fine on the R3, not to mention, I imagine you'll find easier mounting solutions with the R3 over the R2..

I watched the install video for the R3 and it replaces the entire base, vs the R2, which integrates with the existing electronics of the cougar. It seems like I'd just need to convert the throttle to USB using the TUSBA adapter that realsimulator also sells, then I can use the standalone R3 base with the cougar grip. Sound right? I have yet to get a response from realsimulator, are they still in business? Can you still use Foxy or TARGET with the R3 base? Do you have to switch to using DX key file assignment? Have you had any complications with using two separate USB device for HOTAS?

edit: ok, I see that if you take out the Thrustmaster control board and use the TUBSA or standalone stick base circuit board from realsimulator you will loose the Thrustmaster programming options. Has anyone used it this way and did you find it too limiting?

ave-

Last edited by crazyave; 01-15-2019 at 05:34 PM.
crazyave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #13
heloguy

It is true, you’ll lose Target compatibility with the R3. The TUSBA will not be compatible with Target, and the Realsimulator PCB in the R3 is not compatible. The only way to maintain compatibility with both would be to maintain the Cougar stick base as a bridge for the throttle, and order a Warthog stick PCB direct through Thrustmaster customer support to be install in the R3 base.

Personally, I have only used the shift function in Target, which is available in DCS on its own, so I’ve never missed Target since ditching it.
Nvidia GTX 1080ti
32gb RAM
Windows 10 x64
Samsung Odyssey
Fixed Wing: WH Throttle, BRD Black Stork, BRD F1 Pedals
Rotary Wing: Microhelis EC-135 Collective, Komodosim Cyclic (135)

Sim 2
I7 3770k
Nvidia GTX 1080
32gb RAM
Windows 10 x64
Oculus Rift
Fixed Wing: WH Throttle, VKB Gunfighter, Slaw Viper Pedals
Rotary Wing: Komodosim Collective (135)
heloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #14
crazyave

Ok, FSSB R3 Lightening and TUSBA on order, we'll see how it works out. I also got a replacement 3D printed metal tailpiece because I hear these bases put more load on the stick.
crazyave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #15
Dudikoff

What are the major benefits of R3 over R2?

E.g. you could have gone with just the R2 and saved some money, plus kept the Target functionality.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is online now   Reply With Quote