Next F-14 video by MagzTV

unknown

Going to watch it right now.

Edit: Another very nice video about the Tomcat, i loved how jester identified that bandit :D

Edited by unknown

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Man I just love watching anything F-14 related at the moment! This was actually a very good video, though I found his comments about the FM very contradictory to everything I’ve read and seen so far. He mentions that the Tomcat is nearly idiot proof and that it feels much like a FBW airframe. Though from what Jabbers and Ralfie have said, it’s apparently very hands on and will punish any inputs that aren’t correct to the situation. He even mentions that it’s very hard to stall and that you have to nearly enduce a flat spin providing thrust isn’t asymmetrical. Just found that strange that his views could be so different. Either way I’m happy!

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

HB Team rocks the addon planes !! Thx HB.

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

For me at moment the best plane for DCS

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

This was actually a very good video, though I found his comments about the FM very contradictory to everything I’ve read and seen so far. He mentions that the Tomcat is nearly idiot proof and that it feels much like a FBW airframe. Though from what Jabbers and Ralfie have said, it’s apparently very hands on and will punish any inputs that aren’t correct to the situation.

I guess the truth lies somewhere inbetween.

It is definitely hands on flying requiring rudder input and with many quirks like roll reversal and so on.

But at the same time it is designed to not be a widowmaker. Stall? Ok the airframe got you bro, it just tips over. Rock the stick like you are in puberty? The airframe disintegrates itself and you die.

Flat spins are deadly if you dont have 20k feet to spend or react slightly wrong. But thats why they are rare under normal operational conditions. And often require pilot error or some kind of failure.

That's because the interesting half of systems is controlled from the backseat, and that is not yet allowed to be shown.

No need for a detailed discussion of the front right side panel controlling mainly lighting in the meantime.

For the time, I'd be more than happy with more vids about flight characteristics, like accelleration, airbrake effectiveness, glide controlability by spoiler thumbwheel and so on and on.

It will all come to us step by step.

That Jesters radial contextual menu should be adopted for use with general comm for DCS. It's more elegant, easy to read and tracks your head movement.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Curious why every video doesn't show the RIO's position. Is it the back seat that isn't ready for a showcase yet, or the pilot AI?

Enjoyed the video though. Very happy to absorb anything on the Tomcat at the minute!

Man I just love watching anything F-14 related at the moment! This was actually a very good video, though I found his comments about the FM very contradictory to everything I’ve read and seen so far. He mentions that the Tomcat is nearly idiot proof and that it feels much like a FBW airframe. Though from what Jabbers and Ralfie have said, it’s apparently very hands on and will punish any inputs that aren’t correct to the situation. He even mentions that it’s very hard to stall and that you have to nearly enduce a flat spin providing thrust isn’t asymmetrical. Just found that strange that his views could be so different. Either way I’m happy!

The different videos are approaching handling in different ways. Ralfi and Jabbers are comparing more directly to other modern DCS offerings and were rather surprised that their standard techniques for ACM were not working well in the F-14. The onset of roll reversal requires the virtual pilot to stop using lateral stick for roll, but the pilot also has to monitor where they are in the AOA range to know when to make this transition along with managing overall performance.

Magz was approaching handling from a more general perspective and much of what he was comparing to are WWII warbirds in terms of stability. :) Compared to a platform like that, the F-14 is very stable and will not drop a wing or develop any sudden uncommanded movements as you push to very high AOA. Once AOA goes above 20 or so, any sideslip may result in wing rock (not easy to track a target with wing rock), but the aircraft won't slice or roll off in this regimen. As AOA increases above 25-30 units, there is a tendency to roll off that may need rudder inputs for correction (not lateral stick!), but you can push the F-14 to very high AOA despite no FBW with excellent controllability.

This was one of the major breakthroughs for the F-14 versus older platforms when it first arrived, it allowed pilots to really push AOA to very high levels while still maintaining controllability and not departing. Part of this was related to the wing rock - the wing rock stabilizes the aircraft as it moves into negative yaw stability at high AOA due to adverse yaw with roll. As sideslip develops dihedral effect of the airframe induces roll, but because that initial roll causes the nose to yaw away from the direction of roll it pushes the nose back to center.

Where the F-14 starts to develop wing rock, the Phantom was prone to departure (roll off for the slatted F-4s and yaw off for the unslatted). So with pure pitch inputs, its hard to get into trouble with the F-14 (like nearly all the jets in DCS). However, you can get into trouble with poorly chosen inputs (like Ralfi and Jabbers described/demonstrated).

So if you give lateral stick above 20 units, you get roll opposite stick along with sideslip and the potential to develop yaw rate. If you hold that lateral stick past about 90-120 degrees of roll the yaw rate becomes pretty visible and could lead to a real departure. Similarly, you use rudder for rolling at ~17+ units AOA, but the roll SAS will cross-control your rudder inputs since it only monitors stick inputs for whether roll is "commanded". If you rudder roll with roll SAS on, most the time it is fine, but every so often it will cross control and create a significant yaw moment.

And at high AOA, you do did not monitor for excessive yaw rates in general, but things tend not to come out of no where.

So the F-14 is very hands on imho, but most of the dangerous things are due to bad pilot inputs not the aircraft deciding to take a swing at you. :)

-Nick

Curious why every video doesn't show the RIO's position. Is it the back seat that isn't ready for a showcase yet, or the pilot AI?

Enjoyed the video though. Very happy to absorb anything on the Tomcat at the minute!

It's not ready yet to be shown, the backseat that is.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I do look forward for being in the RIO's position too, it'll certainly be a new experience for me in DCS.

Also from what we've heard from the developers so far, most of the rear seat functionality is already working it's just that it's lacking in the art department compared to the front seat and rather than face the wrath of angry internet warriors they wanna polish that up some before showing it to the general public :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Basically same video as jabbers then, Why is there nothing informative like approach or navigation this is just i have the F-14 please subscribe to me and like my twitch lol

Well you gotta be fair here, they've only had a limited amount of time to learn the basic functionality of the airframe AND produce content to show to the public. Both jabbers and mags have stated that this first video is meant as a basic introduction to the airframe and both (as well as other content creators who have access to the module) have stated that they will release in-depth videos of the different systems as they get more comfortable with them.

No one wants to go in-depth into specific systems and release information that is incomplete or god-forbid outright wrong ;) They would get torn to shreds by the online community. Give em time, they will get there.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

So the F-14 is very hands on imho, but most of the dangerous things are due to bad pilot inputs not the aircraft deciding to take a swing at you. :)

-Nick

Thank-you for the excellent reply! That has answered many questions I’ve had about the handling of the Tomcat.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

I kind of suspect I know where, in my psyche, I rejected the Hornet and embraced the Tomcat.

Through all of high school, I hated using my calculator. I was never the best at math, and hated the way it was taught by almost every single one of my teachers (I've since figured out that I had shitty math teachers, but I digress). I can't tell you how many times a teacher got angry at me for not using a calculator for getting the answer, only to dock me points for not showing my work when I did use a calculator.

So I just started writing down everything I could in regards to math. I'd show how I'd get to the point. Granted, almost every one of my junior high or later teachers would dock points because that wasn't the way they taught me how to do the problem (the one who pushed me to do math by hand, though, was the best math teacher I've ever had, even if I thought she was a bit...uh...hyper).

The Hornet is a TI-84 calculator. Does a lot of cool things, plots stuff out, tons of memory, you can even play games with it. You just punch the numbers in, and you get out of it what the calculator says is correct.

The Tomcat is my beloved blank sheet of paper. You have to do all the math in your head, or you can doodle, or you could write a screed about Pythagoras fighting crime in pre-earthquake San Francisco. You have total control, but you had better listen to your equations, and learn from your small mistakes.