Supercarrier and helicopters operations

nessuno0505

Personally, I doubt they will. At least for early access. It will be a big task to get comms and animations for all fast jets, in case I and case III, that helicopters must be an afterthought right now.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Besides there are no Helo Modules that fit in the Carrier Ops environment, so until that happens I don't see it being a consideration.

Yep. Would be a waste of ED's finite manpower. If there was a helo module like a SH-60/MH-60 Seahawk then by all means it would be a worthwhile project.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

What does it take for a chopper to be fit to a Carrier ops environment? Oh, wait, I know! Nothing guys! Unlike you fixed wings, we can land where you can and also where you can't remember? (runways are for beauty queens :D)

marines-from-the-1st-batallion-11th-marines-go-for-a-run-on-the-flight-deck-a41a78-1600.jpg

US_Army_helicopters_on_USS_Eisenhower_%28CVN-69%29_off_Haiti_in_1994.JPEG

1eb018999bf639bb0765b9acdec55e3b.jpg

1107150910021191468474602.jpg

US_Navy_050909-N-8154G-045_A_Mexican_Navy_Mi-8_helicopter_stands_by_for_passengers_on_the_flight_deck_aboard_the_amphibious_assault_ship_USS_Bataan_%28LHD_5%29%2C_off_the_coast_of_Mississippi.jpg

So, although I am pretty sure indeed that ED will not take into account choppers ops for the supercarrier (sorry guys, you'll have to swim back to the ship when you'll miss your landing :D) , I wouldn't call that a waste of manpower but a big oversight, and since pretty much all DCS chopper modules have seen carrier ops in real life at some point, I do hope that this will be a part of the evolution of this module.

Edited by BaD CrC

Whilst I don’t expect it for day 1, wouldn’t seem unreasonable to expect it later.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I agree, any helicopter model can land on a carrier, even if it is not specialized in navy operations.

I don't mind to have this feature on day one, I do not buy early access products by the way, but I hope it will be implemented sooner or later, it will be a great addition to supercarrier module (and an incentive for me to buy it).

What does it take for a chopper to be fit to a Carrier ops environment? Oh, wait, I know! Nothing guys! Unlike you fixed wings, we can land where you can and also where you can't remember? (runways are for beauty queens :D)

So, although I am pretty sure indeed that ED will not take into account choppers ops for the supercarrier (sorry guys, you'll have to swim back to the ship when you'll miss your landing :D) , I wouldn't call that a waste of manpower but a big oversight, and since pretty much all DCS chopper modules have seen carrier ops in real life at some point, I do hope that this will be a part of the evolution of this module.

Easy. Let me clarify since apparently, I have to. NONE of the current modules available, operate from the Theodore-Subclass. NONE of the photos you provided show that either. We're not discussing Oliver Perry Class Frigates, LHDs or LHAs here. OP was regarding the Super Carrier. An Army Haiti OP isn’t “Evidence” let alone a Mexican Navy Mi-8 on a US Navy LHD.

Not even touching the tons of photos with Saigon Hueys getting pushed into the water, which are all before the Theodor was even built.. Here’s a photo of cars on the Reagan. Doesn’t mean I want the deck crew to marshal around my Jeep.

eJBxpHXFA3goSP72818n1zqvzrwljsjpg.jpg

eJBxpHXFA3goSP728

Furthermore, just because I can land my Harrier on the back of a Ticonderoga doesn’t mean it should animated deck crew.

Lastly before you get on your 10000 spare parts flying in close formation with a Jesus Nut standing between you and certain death high horse, a third of my time is in helo’s, and would love a proper offensive Helo. If it was the Sea/SuperCobra I would welcome having a Deck Crew to handle it. But again that would be specific to the LHA/LHDs and more appropriate as part of a later update to the Tarawa’s as a whole. No reason for it to be included on the Theodor’s.

You're right, none of the current helicopters "belong" on the super carrier. But you can bet your butt you'll see all the helicopters we have operating of it online. I don't think we need helicopter specific deck crew animations but I don't get the (whats seems like) anger at the helicopters?

You're right, none of the current helicopters "belong" on the super carrier. But you can bet your butt you'll see all the helicopters we have operating of it online. I don't think we need helicopter specific deck crew animations but I don't get the (whats seems like) anger at the helicopters?

It's not anger. I just said I fly helo's too. But I'm being realistic. Until a Seahawk shows up, I'm not going to ask for animations or Deck Ops. Just because you can land other helos (or as I pointed out a Harrier) on something, doesn't necessitate the need for animations. Marshaling a helo would be a lot more coding than what exist today, not to mention completely different approaches with accompanying radio traffic recordings, landing spots ect. Also making sure helo's don't block the Flight Deck unless the Deck Crew can also move A/C on the carrier, since they don't use skid helos (as part of REGULAR OPERATIONS like Sea Horses, Sea Sprites, Sea Kings, Sea Hawks) on Super Carriers.

All of this is just going to cause significant performance impacts in MP, not to mention severe de-sync issues. So how about we start with getting the normal flight ops to be done, and working well, before throwing these nice to haves, albeit not exactly realistic, on top op it. Actually I'd rather see the animations added to the Tarawas since those are a far better Helo Ops vessel than a A/C Carrier.

Yeah, we sadly always get that kind of behavior, both in DCS and in real life.

That's because Helo Pilots for some reason think that they don't have to play nice with fixed wing traffic. I've had 3 incidents of Helo's who didn't bother to let anyone know what they're doing, almost causing mid-airs, including a Jet Ranger that flew right overhead the airfield at pattern altitude with multiple planes in circuit without ever reporting their position or intention to CTAF. Never intended to land. Just passing through.

{...} If there was a helo module like a SH-60/MH-60 Seahawk then by all means it would be a worthwhile project.

I think Konovalov is right that, without a flyable-helicopter that would be directly applicable on the supercarrier, there is not going to be any specific helicopter integration (although we could still land/take-off, I guess?). And the SH/MH-60 is not even on the would-like-to-do-it list, let alone the development list. I asked about helicopters more generally on the supercarrier a while back and the thread got moved straight into the "Wishlist" sub-forum (ref). Consequentially, my enthusiasm for the SC has waned, but I'm happy to wait and see how it turns out.

{...} and since pretty much all DCS chopper modules have seen carrier ops in real life at some point, I do hope that this will be a part of the evolution of this module.

Great photos.. a few surprises there for me. But I'm curious to know about the upcoming Mi-24P and Bo-105. I searched to see if I could find any of those on a carrier, but didn't find anything.

That's because Helo Pilots for some reason think that they don't have to play nice with fixed wing traffic. I've had 3 incidents of Helo's who didn't bother to let anyone know what they're doing, almost causing mid-airs, including a Jet Ranger that flew right overhead the airfield at pattern altitude with multiple planes in circuit without ever reporting their position or intention to CTAF. Never intended to land. Just passing through.

And I've had similar experiences with fixed wing aircraft while flying helicopters... The problem is people who are not professionals whether they're paid to fly or not. Not what type of aircraft they fly. there's a piper cub around here who flys around at 50 feet agl, never uses the radio, and takes off and lands regardless of weather even though we get regular IFR traffic.

Can t forget how close this beechCraft came close behind me last time because I wasn t flying fast enough for him on final and he didn t want to go around. Not only I had to hard break Above the grass while still on very short final and avoid the collision, but the guy got the guts to complain on the radio. And that’s just the close call i was directly involved in. I witness much worse. Typical fw behavior who think they own the airspace because they are faster.

how they going to work it then. If you don't own the New Carrier you will be unable to trap or so I understand. So if the choppers can not communicate with it how will it prevent it from being used

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

CWIS automatically engages all targets without permission to land <j/k>

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg