Am I flying the Turkey wrong?

USAFMTL

You know I have been flight simming since Christ was a Corporal, ok not that long but ever since F-15E Strike Eagle on a C64. The reason I say that is because I cant seem to get flying the Tomcat down. Even when I pull back gentle on the stick I get into a spin. Not sure what I am doing wrong. So forget trying to dogfight in it. I can't keep it out of a spin. I watch my corner speed etc. Flat spin time. I don't have this issue with any other plane so I have got to be doing something wrong. Please advise.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

US Air Force Retired, 1C371

No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.

Carrier or dirt landing? Are you watching your AoA and using DLC? I assume flaps are set and stability control is on.

It sounds like you are getting too slow. If your wings start rocking, you should do an emergency disengage of SAS ( stick paddle) and get your AoA under control.

Edited by WOPR

I found Chuck's excellent guide and set my HOTAS to those parameters and that seem to cure most of my issues. Thank you Chuck. Next I need to looking at my airspeed better I think I am going faster than I really am and jamming myself up into a spin. Thanks for the replies.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Focus more on AoA, the plane will start to rattle when approaching to half(can’t remember the number) but it will always start to stall and fly funny past the same spot. So what ever speed you are flying, when your pulling Gs look at it and maintain it just bellow the half mark

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Focus more on AoA, the plane will start to rattle when approaching to half(can’t remember the number) but it will always start to stall and fly funny past the same spot. So what ever speed you are flying, when your pulling Gs look at it and maintain it just bellow the half mark

15 units of AOA is the halfway mark.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you using rudders instead of the stick for rolling at high aoa ?

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

Check the controls and make sure your axis are not set up on multiple controls. Its common with a new aircraft to have your pitch axis, your roll axis and rudder axis setup on numerous different controls. Failure to ensure you are set to only one control may create conflicts. For example, I seem to recall on one aircraft that ever time I pitched, it also triggered the rudders, which may be your problem.

Just a lucky guess, hope you can fix your problem.

I agree with all the comments above. Sounds like you may have a HOTAS/Joystick setting problem. Check that out and try again. Also, this sim is pretty realistic in controllability and design. Pulling anything above 15 is bad news and most of the time hinders ones efforts for a kill. Try doing pure pursuit instead of leading. Fly to stay behind the enemy instead of cutting ahead. She’s a great fighter once you learn her “habits”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

I know you’ve got it figured out, but I’m going to throw one more into the ring: any time you plan on flying above 15 units of AoA (ie dogfight), turn off roll SAS. At those high AoA due to roll reversal it will actually cause greater instability and departure from controlled flight.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Gotta be a setting, I'm in pretty much the same boat, haven't simmed for a year or two and just got my gear out of the closet and set up again in the last couple weeks. I tried the dogfight instant action last night and if I didn't put it into a spin ham fisting it around that badly it has to be tough to do.

Gotta be a setting, I'm in pretty much the same boat, haven't simmed for a year or two and just got my gear out of the closet and set up again in the last couple weeks. I tried the dogfight instant action last night and if I didn't put it into a spin ham fisting it around that badly it has to be tough to do.

If you get Chuck's F-14 guide he shows how to set up your stick to keep it from doing that. Since I tuned my stick I can turn and burn..

[sigpic][/sigpic]