DCS: Me 262 Discussion (Development on hold currently)

NineLine

Actually no :)

"The normal range of flight characteristics from aerobatic maneuvres to the stall revealed the Me 262 as a very responsive and docile aeroplane, leaving one with a confident impression of a first class combat aircraft for both fighter and ground attack roles. Harmony of controls was pleasant, with a stick force per 'g' of 2.72 kg (6lb) at mid-CG position and a roll rate of 360 degrees in 3.8 seconds at 645 km/h (400 mph) at 1525m (5000 ft)"

- Eric Winkle Brown, Wings of the Luftwaffe, Page 252

I could have miss heard this thing, maybe it was about aileron deflection forces.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I could have miss heard this thing, maybe it was about aileron deflection forces.

By all accounts the Me262 had light controls right up until around 0.83 mach, after that point it began to become nose heavy, and at 0.86 mach it required a 45 kg pull to get out of a dive unless you used the fully movable stab, which wasn't recommended.

Ailerons stayed light though.

First class fighter design let down by lack of fuel & trained pilots, and ofcourse engines that for a long time last no longer than 25 hours. Later engines improved the situation, esp. in regards to flame outs & compressor stall due to a new throttle system (MTO also increased to ~50 hrs), but it was too little too late to make an impact.

Edited by Hummingbird

• 3 weeks later...
Totally agree.

It's exhausting to see "dogfight servers users" always complaining for balance.

As I love to fly mission, I can't wait to see 262. But it's true that DCS miss lot of plane and can't wait to see them all ! (but my bank account can :lol:)

The 262 will be great for flying co-op vs AI. Just wont have a place in multiplayer vs players flying much slower piston engine aircraft for obvious reasons.

The 262 will be great for flying co-op vs AI. Just wont have a place in multiplayer vs players flying much slower piston engine aircraft for obvious reasons.

On dogfight server, I agree.

It would be better to have some other planes than this one.

But for mission I don't agree. As Me 262 was used in ground attack role (with bomb). It can become an accessible target for P51 and P47 pilots. With good tactics, I think it would make nice battle.

As I don't like dogfight server and only fly mission, I'm happy to see it. :pilotfly:

But I still think some other plane should come in game first.:music_whistling:

On dogfight server, I agree.

It would be better to have some other planes than this one.

But for mission I don't agree. As Me 262 was used in ground attack role (with bomb). It can become an accessible target for P51 and P47 pilots. With good tactics, I think it would make nice battle.

As I don't like dogfight server and only fly mission, I'm happy to see it. :pilotfly:

But I still think some other plane should come in game first.:music_whistling:

It's going to be used as a fighter as well and there is nothing that can compete againts it. I personally don't want to see meteor jets, Griffin spitfires and 75" P51Ds to compete vs the 262. That would mean the german piston aircraft would have no chance.

Those are the aircraft people will be asking for to provide adversaries for the 262.

Edited by Snapage

Yes it will be used as fighter. But it's far from invincible. The engine can be completely destroyed with one bullet. It will be difficult to fly against and difficult to fly it. As I used it in multiple campaign in the old Il2, I can assure you that only few time we came back with all the plane.

We always had pilot who made mistake with their engine and pilot who get hit and burn directly.

In those mission, we had to use the 262 in particular condition to follow briefing instruction. Those make it hard to fly. So that's why I think all mission type can be interresting. But on dogfight server, It will be easy to get a correct altitude and use our speed to never get caught by enemy. And that why people complain.

So It's better to think about mission use and not dogfight server use.

The engine can be completely destroyed with one bullet.

Maybe.

It will depend a lot on how the damage model is done, and how the engine damage is implemented. In principle, failures, fires, faults and all sorts of other technical bother should be present, let alone resilience to bullets. But that's not guaranteed. (c.f. the DCS implementation of the 190 A8 engine, for instance.)

I do suspect that it will be difficult to incorporate into any multiplayer scenario, but then that applies to other aircraft too (e.g. the I-16).

Maybe.

It will depend a lot on how the damage model is done, and how the engine damage is implemented. In principle, failures, fires, faults and all sorts of other technical bother should be present, let alone resilience to bullets. But that's not guaranteed. (c.f. the DCS implementation of the 190 A8 engine, for instance.)

I do suspect that it will be difficult to incorporate into any multiplayer scenario, but then that applies to other aircraft too (e.g. the I-16).

It can go both way. Look at how the P51 engine can die quickly.

But as Damage model should be out soon, I imagine all the following plane will be made with it directly include.

• 4 weeks later...
Most likely, but we really don't have any solid info on it yet. Once the Jug is out and development picks up on the Mossie we might hear more.

I really hope that the Schwalbe is next.

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

So It's better to think about mission use and not dogfight server use.

Exactly. This is DCS. It's about accurately modelling interesting aircraft. Not about balance.

Real life military aircraft are also not about balance, they are about creating disbalance.

They are about fulfilling a specific request. The request is usually mission based, and/or based on certain specifications.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

I really hope that the Schwalbe is next.

Same :joystick:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Most likely, but we really don't have any solid info on it yet. Once the Jug is out and development picks up on the Mossie we might hear more.

:drunk::thumbup:

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

• 2 weeks later...
Exactly. This is DCS. It's about accurately modelling interesting aircraft. Not about balance.

Real life military aircraft are also not about balance, they are about creating disbalance.

They are about fulfilling a specific request. The request is usually mission based, and/or based on certain specifications.

Yep, It will be fun a fun module to fly and good vs AI. But will struggle to create missions to have it in PvP without any suitable aircraft to go up against it.

I've seen plenty of mig-15s shot down by mustangs in korea servers. I'm sure people will figure out ways to handle it and take advantage of its made out of glass engines.

It is easy, i have seen hornets, f-15s being shot down by mig-15 in turn fight.

If mig-15 pilot try to out turn p-51 by simply pulling stick as much as he can, p-51 will win easy.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

F-86 has left the chat

Ka-50 has left the chat

J-11 has left the chat

Aim-120C update rushed by SD-10 has left the chat

Welp, gotta love to give mustangs some balance lessons when i get Me-262

F-86 has left the chat

Ka-50 has left the chat

J-11 has left the chat

Aim-120C update rushed by SD-10 has left the chat

Welp, gotta love to give mustangs some balance lessons when i get Me-262

me-262 wont be a easy win against p-51.ME-262 performance is far behind mig-15s or f-86