Steerpoint elevation issue - what am I doing wrong???

Notso

(2.5.6 OB) I'm moving back to the Hornet after flying the F-16 for a few months and I'm now trying to relearn the A/G systems. I built a couple of simple routes in ME last night to work on JDAM PP and TOO w/o the Targeting pod and then later another simple mission for GBU-12s with the pod.

Using the Mission Editor (NTTR), I created a new mission and I simply dropped waypoints on top of the targets as I've alway done in the past with no issue. However, when I got out to the TGT area and selected WPDESG on one of the steer points for a target vehicle, the diamonds were way up in the sky. Obviously, the JDAM PP didn't work although it gave me an IN RANGE cue when using a manual release mode. When I looked at the TGT data in the JDAM stores page, it said the elevation was something like 9100 meters! The actual TGT elevation on the F10 map was 5100 ft. I then tried a TOO attack by hand entering the coordinates off of the F10 map (converting the minutes to seconds for the stupid antiquated Hornet computer:mad:) and put in the elevation in feet and it still hit way short but at least in the vicinity this time.

Later I created a new mission for LGB practice doing the same thing. I put two groups of armored vehicles in 64B and put steerpoints on top of them so I could cue the Pod to those coordinates. Again, the points were way up in space instead of on the ground. The only way I could get the pod on the tgt was to use the Velocity vector slave mode, roll in, designate and then that worked fine from then on. But before that, the Pod would cue to the point up in the air.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've done this same ME mission build before and never had an issue with it.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

as far as I understand the logic, the elevation recorded for the target point is the waypoint passage elevation for your flying waypoint in the editor.

Ex : gruond elevation is sea level (0 fts).

You put a waypoint in the editor. Default altitude is 6.000ish feet, or 2.000 meters.

In the hornet, the waypoint altitude is 2.000 meters, and your TGP will search an invisible point at 2.000 mrs in the air, above your target.

Correction :

In the hornet, select your waypoint.

On the HSI, select Data, then UFC.

Change Elev point to the Target Altitude.

And your TGP will slave correctly.

as far as I understand the logic, the elevation recorded for the target point is the waypoint passage elevation for your flying waypoint in the editor.

Ex : gruond elevation is sea level (0 fts).

You put a waypoint in the editor. Default altitude is 6.000ish feet, or 2.000 meters.

In the hornet, the waypoint altitude is 2.000 meters, and your TGP will search an invisible point at 2.000 mrs in the air, above your target.

Correction :

In the hornet, select your waypoint.

On the HSI, select Data, then UFC.

Change Elev point to the Target Altitude.

And your TGP will slave correctly.

Hmmm. I did put the elevation of the steerpoint at my flight altitude (about 15000ft MSL) for where I wanted to spawn my aircraft and yes the rest of the points used the same altitude. But that still wouldn't account for the TGT elevation in the JDAM being at 9000 meters. That's around 30K feet.

I'll go back and play with the HSI data and do what you suggest. But I had done this before with the Hornet targeting pod and LGBs (not JDAM) and I don't recall ever having this problem with the TGP slew to the correct point on the ground. I never had to manually enter the tgt altitude before to get the pod to point at the ground correctly by slewing it to a steerpoint.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

The easiest way is to place the waypoint in the ME and put 0 in the elevation field. The ME will automatically correct it to the ground elevation at that point, as soon as you confirm it.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

The easiest way is to place the waypoint in the ME and put 0 in the elevation field. The ME will automatically correct it to the ground elevation at that point, as soon as you confirm it.

Ah OK - that's a good work around. I'll try it.

However, has it always been this way? I was playing on stable previously in both the Hornet and Viper and do not recall this being the case with cueing the TGP to the steerpoint.

Ah OK - that's a good work around. I'll try it.

However, has it always been this way? I was playing on stable previously in both the Hornet and Viper and do not recall this being the case with cueing the TGP to the steerpoint.

slaving the TGP to the WPT is only possible in the Open Beta since the last update.

Thanks for the tip, that worked like a champ. I finally got some JDAMs to hit today, although I uncovered some new issues. User error I'm sure.

F10 Coordinates

(2.5.6 OB) I then tried a TOO attack by hand entering the coordinates off of the F10 map (converting the minutes to seconds for the stupid antiquated Hornet computer:mad:) and put in the elevation in feet and it still hit way short but at least in the vicinity this time.

Why don't you just press LAlt+Y to change the coordinates in the F10 map to whatever format you want? Really useful function.

Why don't you just press LAlt+Y to change the coordinates in the F10 map to whatever format you want? Really useful function.

I just discovered this feature. Thank you.