[WIP] Antenna elevation issues and TDC shown altitude coverage

Fortinero

As title of the thread says, the max alt and min alt shown in the TDC doesn't match with what is happening in real.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

In the last pic I positioned the antenna elevation in where it should be, based in the knowed data provided by the AWACS, and by the fact that I know which altitude the targets are.

Also, the sensitiveness on the axis for T6 function for antenna elevation, even seting curves is very sensitive and there is a noticeable "jump" when start to move it from cero to any +/- degree.

Kind regards.

Edited by uboats

Radar not picking up contacts

I don't have much detail to provide yet, but there seems to be a tendency that RWS/TWS/VS won't pick up contacts(including friendly) further than 40nm(in PVP). Some players on discord are also experiencing the same issue.

I pretty much haven't seen contacts at 80nm range scale, and there're times where they won't show up until ~20nm, or just won't show up at all(rare).

And I'm pretty sure the contacts were within my radar perimeter with a high closure rate.

65891172_1.thumb.png.80c5ff901a4a71c5a265240ff1b5117f.png

1971311094_2.thumb.png.56f2f2b555627de52efc956f5d9dd67c.png

Can confirm.

Antenna appears to be scanning a couple of degrees below the supposed center of the indicated scan zone.

This only happens with INTC radar modes RWS, TWS, and VS. ACM radar modes work just fine in my testing.

SAM and DTT modes seem to dispel this effect, correcting the scan area for as long as you have a target bugged in SAM or TWS/DTT. But it will offset downwards again upon losing lock.

Oddly enough, you can see the effect of this in the PL-5's search pattern when you STT lock someone in an INTC radar mode and uncage the seeker. The missile will run its pattern BELOW the target box.

That may be "right" ish. Per wiki (and I'm not saying its right, its just the only number i can find), the KLJ-7 can detect a 5m^2 RCS at 100km. 100km = ~50nm. The F16C is gonna be on the order of 1.2m^2-5m^2 from what I read, A hornet likely a bit bigger (5-10 range). F14 and flankers should be quite large (15-25m). The JF17 might be like 3m at a guess.

There was big thread here talking about RCS in DCS.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215759&page=1

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The scan zone elevation appears to be bugged. It's scanning a couple of degrees below what's indicated on the FCR screen.

I noticed I can see targets below my indicated minimum scan altitude on the TDC, so best bet is to make sure your minimum scanning altutide is higher than the target altitude

One thing I noticed, I was also in the past bothered by not being able to have precise control over antenna elevation with an axis. However today I realized it always jumps/steps in exact increments, and it is likely mimicking each individual detent of the actual elevation control on the real HOTAS.

As far as contacts being picked up below the lowest elevation limit of TDC i do see it, wouldn’t have noticed it without your thread

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I don't have much detail to provide yet, but there seems to be a tendency that RWS/TWS/VS won't pick up contacts(including friendly) further than 40nm(in PVP). Some players on discord are also experiencing the same issue.

I pretty much haven't seen contacts at 80nm range scale, and there're times where they won't show up until ~20nm, or just won't show up at all(rare).

And I'm pretty sure the contacts were within my radar perimeter with a high closure rate.

I can confirm.

and same problem with ACM modes, sometimes it get a lot of time to have a lock

Edited by sylkhan

I can say I have now had some issues locking up targets, or rather not locking them up, if they are on the D/L. So I know alt/range etc, but sometimes its not seeing them, mainly at longer range. So I'm not sure if its a bug or just too far for the radar to see. I have definitely locked on a killed targets with SD10's tho.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

you mean this reported bug? :P https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=259790

i wonder how many duplicates there are :P

just wanted to say, i don't get this problem anymore - the elevation seems alright, however, i noticed that sometimes you can't find a target no matter what, unless you switch to a/g mode and then go a/a again

i recorded a video with a bunch of problems with the air to air radar (most importantly, sometimes the radar will drop a track when i roll, sometimes all it takes is a 50-60 degree roll, sometimes it happens at 90-100 degrees), you can see the targetting problem here:

- in the video i'm swapping between the f1 view and the f10 map so you can see i'm pointing at the correct direction/elevation etc

my "fix" is to quickly swap from a/a to a/g and back, after i'm done with an engagement, in order to reset it

you mean this reported bug? :P https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=259790

i wonder how many duplicates there are :P

My bad, your post didn't cross my mind when I posted this report, cause the tendency of losing lock after high angle of bank seems to occur in STT only, so I thought it was due to something else.

I'd like to point out that testing in SP and PVP is different tho, besides the not seeing things at the 80nm scale, I'm able to track contacts at 40nm scale pretty accurately in SP, not in PVP tho. I will try out the AA/AG swap trick later.

Anyway, you happened to record a new bug that keeps freaking me out this patch at 12:13. Notice how the contact appears behind you on the D/L after you've locked him? At first, I thought it was some sort of INS drift, but it wasn't the case because the 'drift' could still happen with INS+GPS and locking up my 1st contact 10mins after take off. However, I'm unable to reproduce it in SP environment.

Is something wrong with the radar?

Sorry if this question is posted somewhere, but I wasn't able to answers. Is something wrong with the radar or is it just me? It seems like after update it has a hard time seeing contacts, I played with azimuth, elevation, can't figure out what the problem is.

RWS seems blind since the update. TWS seems to work.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

The scan zone elevation appears to be bugged. It's scanning a couple of degrees below what's indicated on the FCR screen.

I noticed I can see targets below my indicated minimum scan altitude on the TDC, so best bet is to make sure your minimum scanning altutide is higher than the target altitude

That might be my problem....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

TWS works but it can no longer see as far as 80nm afaict

I have a similar problem in addition to RWS seeing nothing (single player).

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I'm also having trouble with the Radar, just as I'm trying to edit a Training Mission for Radar Use :(

RWS works good enough, like this:

bsu6HFw.jpg

When I change into TWS, I get this for a few seconds:

IF2TKkl.jpg

and afterwards, every contact dissapears:

jvbGan0.jpg

I was using the GR test mission, I'm attaching it if you want to try it.

JF-17 BVR Radar (by G.Reapers).miz

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB