Jester feels like a neglected child..

mehksauce

Its been quite a while since i hop on the f14, oming back to DCS recently, hoping i'll finally be able to enjoy the f14 with jester.. but nope, the first week release of frustration i have with jester is still there. Sure human rio is superior, but not everyone has one.

- Jester still doesnt know how to prioritize a STT Lock on enemy thats closer to you.

- Jester still fails to IFF check in die or live moment.

- Can't controll both chaff and flare, Most of the time jester would squirt out counter measures when i can easily defeat them by using BFM.

- Lacking important keybinds such as, "Stop deploying countermeasures" "IFF Check" "Ask AWACS/GCI to declare", etc..

Why do i feel like im playing a slot machine when im with jester :(

On the upside..

i appreciate the new submenu that lets you specifically configure the radar when you get a solid info on bogey. (Range and altitude)

HB, why not experiment with jesters limits, and see how the community reacts to the buffs/nerfs? For example, Increase jester feedback on IFF checking speed, as if your in the f18 and all you do is press IFF check keybind. Improve Jester's ability to keep lock targets, etc

Edited by mehksauce

HB, why not experiment with jesters limits, and see how the community reacts to the buffs/nerfs? For example, Increase jester feedback on IFF checking speed, as if your in the f18 and all you do is press IFF check keybind. Improve Jester's ability to keep lock targets, etc

This approach is great for games where player enjoyment takes precedence over realism. The goal with Jester is to behave like a real RIO, not the community fantasy of what he should be. HB leans on their SMEs for what's right in that regard. All that said, Jester is still very much WIP and I have faith he'll be much more capable by the end of EA.

IMHO BVR with Jester is really hard work (verging on broken) ... try following a low flying target in TWS with from 40k. People say driving the radar from the front seat is 'unrealistic', but going through that Jester wheel doing '100 miles at 10k', then '75 miles ...' then '50 miles ...' is not exactly NATOPs either! How menu 'clicks' does that take? And yes, I use voice control, but that isn't how a 'Real' pilot works either.

I know TWS auto is planned, but Jester, bless him is never going to cut it! HB did a great job with him and I actually miss him in other aircraft, but in IFF'ing he is slow, in BFM he seems to be a maddening few seconds delayed in his bogie callouts and in BVR he is soooo frustrating, losing track at critical moments for no apparent reason!

Also, I've not really noticed him improve much ... and yes I know he is WIP, although that term has developed a meaning of its own in the DCS universe!

I don't have too much of a problem with Jester, considering he's an AI

What is a nuisance for me are the nested menu commands, I'd love to be able to just tell him to do something directly via keybinds

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

IMHO BVR with Jester is really hard work (verging on broken) ... try following a low flying target in TWS with from 40k. People say driving the radar from the front seat is 'unrealistic', but going through that Jester wheel doing '100 miles at 10k', then '75 miles ...' then '50 miles ...' is not exactly NATOPs either! How menu 'clicks' does that take? And yes, I use voice control, but that isn't how a 'Real' pilot works either.

I know TWS auto is planned, but Jester, bless him is never going to cut it! HB did a great job with him and I actually miss him in other aircraft, but in IFF'ing he is slow, in BFM he seems to be a maddening few seconds delayed in his bogie callouts and in BVR he is soooo frustrating, losing track at critical moments for no apparent reason!

Also, I've not really noticed him improve much ... and yes I know he is WIP, although that term has developed a meaning of its own in the DCS universe!

BVR is awful yes, unless you work with extremely compliant targets. But, the problems needed to be solved for the TWS AUTO to work, are largely the problems that needed to be solved for an intelligent AI to keep control and maneuver the radar cone, so i don't think we can see noticeable improvements until that comes along.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Came upon this other thread, and would to also like to add it here, incase someone from HB reads this..

Make seperate bindings to jester commands, so instead of navigating through submenus, say to tell jester to turn radar off.. Jester wheel > BVR menu > Radar > Radar off.. Players has the ability to bind "Radar off" and negates the process all together.

Came upon this other thread, and would to also like to add it here, incase someone from HB reads this..

Make seperate bindings to jester commands, so instead of navigating through submenus, say to tell jester to turn radar off.. Jester wheel > BVR menu > Radar > Radar off.. Players has the ability to bind "Radar off" and negates the process all together.

This. The F-14 lacks a large number of bindings for seemingly no reason other than HB won't make it a priority. Why do we STILL not have axes and buttons for things like CRS/HDG knobs?

Jester needs these binds desperately:

-STT closest enemy

-STT closest target

-TWS next track

-Set radar elevation 0°

-Move radar elevation down 1°

-Move radar elevation up 1°

-Move radar elevation down 5°

-Move radar elevation up 5°

-Set Pilot Flare switch to Pilot

-Set Pilot Flare switch to Multi

Also Jester's functionality for adjusting elevation low/low-middle/middle/middle-high/high is the most ridiculous thing I think I've seen. It's like HB have never done an actual intercept. There is no reason that the normal operation is to move the radar 16 degrees up or down completely skipping whole segments of the sky in the process. During an intercept the maximum typical adjustment to the radar is approximately 5°. The elevation movement should be:

Low = -10°

Low-Middle = -5

Middle = 0

Middle-High = +5

High = +10

We STILL need the ability to adjust the elevation in 1° increments. 1° equates to 10,000' at 100NM. In what world do we need 16° adjustments?

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

This approach is great for games where player enjoyment takes precedence over realism. The goal with Jester is to behave like a real RIO, not the community fantasy of what he should be. HB leans on their SMEs for what's right in that regard. All that said, Jester is still very much WIP and I have faith he'll be much more capable by the end of EA.

Correct, I’m 100% positive in real life the Reo bombards the Pilot constantly with stupid quips while not actually providing useful information.

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

This. The F-14 lacks a large number of bindings for seemingly no reason other than HB won't make it a priority. Why do we STILL not have axes and buttons for things like CRS/HDG knobs?

-STT closest enemy

-STT closest target

-TWS next track

-Set radar elevation 0°

Also Jester's functionality for adjusting elevation low/low-middle/middle/middle-high/high is the most ridiculous thing I think I've seen. It's like HB have never done an actual intercept. There is no reason that the normal operation is to move the radar 16 degrees up or down completely skipping whole segments of the sky in the process. During an intercept the maximum typical adjustment to the radar is approximately 5°. The elevation movement should be:

Low = -10°

Low-Middle = -5

Middle = 0

Middle-High = +5

High = +10

We STILL need the ability to adjust the elevation in 1° increments. 1° equates to 10,000' at 100NM. In what world do we need 16° adjustments?

Count me in as well :thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

mattag08: You might have mistaken Tomcat pilot for some single-seater. If you want full radar control you're free to jump backseat. For the time before TWS Auto is implemented you can illuminate the space you want by using Jester's elevation menu with range and altitude provided. It's WIP and test placeholders currently.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

mattag08: You might have mistaken Tomcat pilot for some single-seater. If you want full radar control you're free to jump backseat. For the time before TWS Auto is implemented you can illuminate the space you want by using Jester's elevation menu with range and altitude provided. It's WIP and test placeholders currently.

By my estimates, it will take me about 10 years to grow my own RIO, and even then there are no guarantees the bloke will be any good at it, or even want the job! ;)

Besides, most of his points are quite legit. I am yet to find use for the elevation orders, especially high and low. A fully functional human level AI will never be possible, so some more direct form of communication is needed. Even in SP. :thumbup:

-STT closest enemy

-STT closest target

-TWS next track

-Set radar elevation 0°

Low = -10°

Low-Middle = -5

Middle = 0

Middle-High = +5

High = +10

Have you tried voice attack? Should be capable of all that. I'm still getting familiar with it but need to compare against Bailey's profile since might already have these, though easy to add your own.

Is a good list. Gonna go down it and add if any are missing.

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Speaking of key bindings, there's a whole bunch of them listed in the sticky thread in the module's Bugs section (I'm also waiting for a few RIO ones to be added, like e.g. for arming the pylons).

I get the impression those are completely ignored. What was the last time HB have added some new key bindings?

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Speaking of key bindings, there's a whole bunch of them listed in the sticky thread in the module's Bugs section (I'm also waiting for a few RIO ones to be added).

I get the impression those are completely ignored. What was the list time HB have added some new key bindings?

yep this... you can bind the single chaff and flare buttons from the RIO to the pilot. For now... at least.

Have you tried voice attack? Should be capable of all that. I'm still getting familiar with it but need to compare against Bailey's profile since might already have these, though easy to add your own.

Is a good list. Gonna go down it and add if any are missing.

Doesn't voice attack work only with existing commands-functions? IIRC RIO reach-back isn't available, nor will it be.

Much of your gripes are our gripes as well, guys. However, we need to crack the TWS Auto nut first. Only then will it make sense to fill in the gaps in BVR.

Some more improvements mentioned here are on the list as well, including adding keybinds for his most important menu commands. However, this also will make more sense towards the end of his development. Thank you for your kind patience in the meantime.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/