Model Viewer Tips & Tricks

Santus

• 3 months later...

Really confused... I cant get the line mount_vfs_liveries_path etc etc to work. Seems this has gone on and off over the life of this thread. Does it really need changing to 100+ lines of code that includes references to carriers, core mods etc etc. Seems madness

I'm no lua expert. All I want to to see my liveries from saved games... I only now meddle with the bazar file to use model viewer which seems silly and a pain.

Any help appreciated!

Edited by Hoirtel

14 hours ago, Urbi said:

It is regrettable and slowly getting annoying to have to look for a solution again after every patch of ED so that you can see the liveries entries of the user mods in the model viewer again. The autoexec.lua must now be returned to the main directory of ED "Eagle Dynamics \ DCS World OpenBeta \ Config \ ModelViewer". With the attached autoexec.lua the characters in the places "--XXX--" have to be replaced by your own username. Before copying the autoexec.lua into the above mentioned directory the folder "edModelViewerTrunk" in Saved Games has to be completely deleted will. Only restart the viewer with the modified atoexec.lua. Then you can see the textures of the individual liveries again. It's the only way.

autoexec.lua 4.5 kB · 4 downloads

This method works. Added in the opening post

• 1 year later...

I have a question about changing the textures of an  unofficial mod. 

It's a mod of a sign and I'd like to change the texture of the sign to read something else. 

I have a textures folder, a shapes folder and a lua file. 
I copied the edm of the old sign, pasted it in the same shapes folder and renamed it
I changed the texture of the old sign to the new and saved it under a different name in the texture folder.
I changed the lua file so everything points to the newly copied shape and gave it a new title. However, there is no line for the texture in the lua, I think.

Now, when I used the new sign in game, it still has the old texture.

In order for it to work, do I need to open the edm file and bake a new texture on it? Make the edm file point to the texture of the newly created texture? If so, how do I do this? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

This is the description in the lua. Anything I did wrong?

-- CWAY - Fudges Cone Barricade X3
	CWAY = {};
	set_recursive_metatable(CWAY, GT_t.generic_stationary)
	set_recursive_metatable(CWAY.chassis, GT_t.CH_t.STATIC);
	CWAY.chassis.life = 10

CWAY.visual.shape = "targetsign1.EDM"
	CWAY.visual.shape_dstr = "targetsign1.EDM"

--Burning after hit
	CWAY.visual.fire_size = 0 --relative burning size
	CWAY.visual.fire_pos = {0,0,0};
	CWAY.visual.fire_time = 0 --burning time (seconds)
	CWAY.time_agony = 180;
    CWAY.animation_arguments.headlights = 1    

CWAY.Name = "targetsign1"
	CWAY.DisplayName = _("targetsign1")
	CWAY.Rate = 1

CWAY.DetectionRange  = 0;
	CWAY.ThreatRange = 0;
	CWAY.mapclasskey = "P0091000076";
	CWAY.attribute = {wsType_Ground,wsType_Tank,wsType_NoWeapon,wsTypeVAZ,
					"Fortifications",
					};
	CWAY.category = "Fortification";

add_surface_unit(CWAY)

10 hours ago, MEDIC - v312 said:

I have a question about changing the textures of an  unofficial mod. 

It's a mod of a sign and I'd like to change the texture of the sign to read something else. 

I have a textures folder, a shapes folder and a lua file. 
I copied the edm of the old sign, pasted it in the same shapes folder and renamed it
I changed the texture of the old sign to the new and saved it under a different name in the texture folder.
I changed the lua file so everything points to the newly copied shape and gave it a new title. However, there is no line for the texture in the lua, I think.

Now, when I used the new sign in game, it still has the old texture.

In order for it to work, do I need to open the edm file and bake a new texture on it? Make the edm file point to the texture of the newly created texture? If so, how do I do this? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

the texture file is connected to a material name in the edm. If you haven't changed the edm then the material name is going to remain the same (and continue pointing to the original texture). If all you want to do is keep the original shape but change the texture, I think the easiest method to do what you want is to create a livery for the original asset (old sign). In the custom livery description lua all you need to do is point it to the new texture and you are done. no need to recreate the mod. PM me with details if you need more help

Edited by prccowboy
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

How can I open a cockpit 3D model?

I can't find the mentioned model viewer FAQ thread.

Edit:

Found the model at c:/program files/eagle dynamics/dcs world openbeta/mods/aircraft/f-5e/cockpit/shape/cockpit_f-5e.edm

I still have no idea why there are separate 3D models for F-5E and F-5E3...

I'll be doing the whole F-5 simpit measurement hunting so you may want to stick around

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/318106-f-5e-simpit-cockpit-dimensions-and-flight-controls/

Edited by Bucic

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/20/2021 at 2:43 AM, Urbi said:

It is regrettable and slowly getting annoying to have to look for a solution again after every patch of ED so that you can see the liveries entries of the user mods in the model viewer again. The autoexec.lua must now be returned to the main directory of ED "Eagle Dynamics \ DCS World OpenBeta \ Config \ ModelViewer". With the attached autoexec.lua the characters in the places "--XXX--" have to be replaced by your own username. Before copying the autoexec.lua into the above mentioned directory the folder "edModelViewerTrunk" in Saved Games has to be completely deleted will. Only restart the viewer with the modified atoexec.lua. Then you can see the textures of the individual liveries again. It's the only way.

autoexec.luaUnavailable

Urbi, could you please update this autoexec.lua link .... been messing around with this situation around modelviewer2, cant get it to work still, and by now i got really fed up checking skins i am working on in the game. Among them ones made with your great template works.

add the link to saved games: "autoexec.lua"
in "C:\Users\<yourname>\Saved Games\edModelViewerTrunk

...at the End
print("scan for textures and liveries")
...add
scan_for_textures("C:/Users/<yourname>/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Liveries")
scan_for_textures("C:/Users/<yourname>/Saved Games/DCS.openbeta/Mods")

and in the Viewer:
CTRL+L  CTRL+L    reload the "LiveriesToolPlugin" to read the extra Folders/Liveries
works 4 me and no probs after updates

I FOUND THE CAUSE OF MY PROBLEMS regarding my saved games folder ..... there were hidden --- to my folder's name, only visible in the file explorer bar ...

When i removed them (only possible with correct permissions) all worked. Thanks for all your help !

• 3 months later...

Hi all. Just looking for a couple of tips please. Does anyone know how to do the following in Model Viewer 2.0:

1. Zoom in and out quickly. Currently am using the mouse wheel to zoom and it's painfully slow.

2. Zoom in enough on a cockpit model to see the instrument panel. I'm trying to zoom in on the F18 and F15E and can't get past the pilot and/or pilot's seat. Do I need to somehow hide the pilot's seat?

3. Pan the camera, i.e. move the view up/down/left/right without tilting the camera.

On 3/18/2024 at 7:16 AM, OldFlyer said:

Hi all. Just looking for a couple of tips please. Does anyone know how to do the following in Model Viewer 2.0:

1. Zoom in and out quickly. Currently am using the mouse wheel to zoom and it's painfully slow.

2. Zoom in enough on a cockpit model to see the instrument panel. I'm trying to zoom in on the F18 and F15E and can't get past the pilot and/or pilot's seat. Do I need to somehow hide the pilot's seat?

3. Pan the camera, i.e. move the view up/down/left/right without tilting the camera.

1. right click and hold, then move mouse up and down to zoom

2. you may want to look at the actual internal cockpit model (this is a separate model and not the same as the external plane model)

3. middle button/scroll wheel click and hold then move mouse to reposition

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, prccowboy said:

1. right click and hold, then move mouse up and down to zoom

2. you may want to look at the actual internal cockpit model (this is a separate model and not the same as the external plane model)

3. middle button/scroll wheel click and hold then move mouse to reposition

Thank you!!