Big Helicopters

Prowler111

Big Helicopters  

548 members have voted

1. 1. Big Helicopters

• Yes
    • No

Cauldron, is that picture you put up of the Erickson Crane a recent one? I believe that it is of N163AC in Manitoba on a power line project this year. If so, the girl in the picture is the only type rated PIC of an S-64 in the world and she is an awesome pilot! :thumbup:

Edited by AG-51_Razor
for clarity

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
But such a shame we have not heard any news on this yet, i'm very curious...

They're busy to bring us the Harrier sooner ;)

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
no no.. there are possibilities, at least the ch47 gunship would be phantastic to have. so fed up with all those small grashoppers like gazelle and now this useless upcoming Bo 105

give us the CH 47 gunship

Well someone could riposte with saying they'd much rather go with nimble grasshoppers rather than fat hippos.

Gazelle is a very nimble helo, and also has a night capable optical system to engage targets with, using guided missiles in the process.

Not saying that Chinook wouldn't be awesome, it would be. But if you say you are fed up with "grasshoppers", I would have to say that there is a grand sum one light helo in DCS, with one more in development. You don't seem to be too familiar with the landscape of DCS modules.

Against a defended convoy or strong point, I know which one would I put my money on between a fat-ass Chinook with some bolted on rockets and a "useless" Bo-105 :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I think big :-). We will not get the Apache soon, i guess the question of " classified " infos. The Bo105 never saw combat action, thats why i call it ADAC chopper...and the anti tank role with only daylight abilities ? DCS is a high quality gamebase with simulation attitude... so i woulds chose modules, which can fullfill many tasks. the ch 47 is a combat zone transport, and a gunship platform.. a ch 53 is wonderful but u need the fitting missions. a bo105 with its limited aibilities of firepower and protection would be an easy meal for any shilka :-) after 6 hot it has to leave and praise to the lord, that with six rockets it will hit all SP AAA :-) but thats a question of taste... i guess i will get the huey, because its the HUEY, i mean, nothing can be compared with the HUEY... :-)

I want a CH-53 Sea Stallion or Super Stallion...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Big helicopters like the CH-53 or Mi-26 would be interesting experience to fly mil-mi-26-07.jpg
That looks so comical.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So then, now the Harrier is at pre order stage, is it time for us to find out which helo has won the vote.

By the way the answer you’re looking for is the Puma. :D

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

no no.. there are possibilities, at least the ch47 gunship would be phantastic to have. so fed up with all those small grashoppers like gazelle and now this useless upcoming Bo 105

give us the CH 47 gunship

To be fair, she would be a hell of a lot of fun. Well right upto the point the mounting fails and we shoot off our own rotors. ;)

Edited by Cowboy10uk
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I really don't get this fetish over military odds and ends, like heavy utility choppers. For one thing, the one module they would be useful in, Combined Arms, is pretty bare bones. If it was as full featured as Battlefield 2 or something, I could see wanting a bird like a Super Stallion. But it's not.

Secondly, there are SO many holes in the stable of combat aircraft, which DCS is currently all about. NO dedicated US/West attack helicopter, just utility choppers with a few bolt on weapons. No modern light fighter to tangle with the MiG-21 and 29, save for the Mirage. And there's the F-5 but it's antiquated and very limited. No fast or heavy ground attack aircraft and no light strike fighters like the MiG-27, Su-17/22, Alphajet, Skyraider or Jaguar. And no flyable bombers?

For that matter, a dab here and there of WWII assets?? So with that, we have a handful of modern combat aircraft, a smattering of Vietnam era craft, and a small scoop of WWII stuff. With modules taking so long to produce, and the mod community being a crapshoot right now, I'm hoping that ED has some new partners lined up for 2018, because this is pretty much a hodge podge of a combat sim.

And to round out my grouch, I think you guys should really focus on two factors for your wishes. 1, what will complete DCS World best as it grows. 2, what will make ED and partners the most money, because more money means not just that they can buy new cars - yeah right - and pay the utility bills, but have more cash to devote to even more goody projects for us to play with in coming years. Years, remember. If these modules came fast n furrious, I wouldn't care what anyone produced this month. But since everything takes a small eternity, waiting for the F-16 and Tornado is going to be painful. At least the Harrier is near and the F/A-18C isn't horribly far off.

So, think kind of strategically, because what you want might not be what will make the best sales, or make DCS all that much better now.

Edited by Stryker2000

Team Red wish MiG-23/27, Su-17/22, Su-24, Su-30 C, Yak-130, Tu-16, Tu-95, Tu-22M

Team Blue want AH-1W, AH-64, Alphajet, A-4, Jaguar, Tornado, F-16, A-6, A-7, F-111, F-15E, B-52, B-1B

Nice find. Can't wait to get a hold of that beast. Now to find a recent NFM-000. :thumbup:

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Stryker,

If you build it they will come, or in this case pay. Doesn't matter what gets built we will buy it. As for our hang up with niche stuff like helos, well, some of us don't want to fly jets and it's a chance to fly a full fidelity helicopter in a battlefield environment, something you can't do in fsx or P3D.

Some of the stuff you said doesn't make any sense. No heavy strike aircraft? This while thing started with history's best strike plane lol....Warthog. Fast mud movers are coming, the ground radar has been the recognized hold up from what I gather, and it seems like a lot of devs are waiting for ED's code to plug into future modules, while others are going both feet into making their own (Community A-4). The MiG-21 is missing it's running mate Phantom, for now, but Fighter Weapons School used the F-5 for years specifically because it performed about like the F-5 did, and you have about the same capabilities in one as you do the other in an ACM setting.

At times it does seem a little incoherent, but only if you are looking to tie it all together. I think you are missing the point of everything if that's the approach. For a lot of us the fun is in the variety; for me personally it's the fact that my jet bros in the squadron can ball out of control on co-op night and I can be a dedicated CSAR asset in a Huey, which is what I prefer.

~Rob

• Like 2

Some of the stuff you said doesn't make any sense. No heavy strike aircraft? This while thing started with history's best strike plane lol....Warthog.

Yes, this is true, the A-10 and Su-25 are the pinnacle of modern attack aircraft. But by heavy, I was thinking more along the lines of A-6 Intruder, F-105 Thunderchief, F-111, Su-24 Fencer (okay, the payload isn't massive, but it's fast and capable), Su-30 Flanker-C. Also some good CAS/COIN aircraft too, like the OV-10D Bronco, A-37 Dragonfly, Alphajet, A-1 Skyraider, along with the much anticipated but perpetually out-of-reach AH-1W Super Cobra.

I know I'm the plebe here, but from what I gather, ED intends at some point to have a well integrated air/ground battlefield environment where players can take on any role, from fighter jockey to pickle dropper, attack chopper jock to troop mover, tank driver to grunt, even AWACS overlord if they want. And by golly I'm all for that. But it does seem a bit too random to provide a coherent battlefield right now, with CAS being handled by WWII prop fighters, and the only western battle chopers being utility birds with strap on offense. I know things are changing, and maybe things are picking up speed now which would be outstanding. Though I want to be the one to say that if I was a general building a military, a quarter to a third of what's in this shopping list... well, I don't want that. Okay, the mod community looks pretty sound here and I'll be looking into that soon. But I'm betting a more systematic approach to where the puzzle pieces fit and integrate better from Eagle D and partners would get more high fives and sales.

I've grown quite fond of the Grim Reapers videos - what a bunch of nuts! - and I'm perpetually thinking that if a light attack craft was handy, they could smoke a target rather than using trees and buildings as markers. And then there's the popping flares to identify friendlies - yikes, IFF being down for a while yet is going to have me thinking carefully about air combat missions.

Hey, DCS is about the only real game in town and I'm on board, even though I swore after RaceRoom that I wouldn't deal with another piecemeal sales model game. It's just too good a sim, and the graphics are so good, I can use pics from it in my aviation art source file. Just wanting to add my two megahertz to the lounge discussion. :smilewink:

Edited by Stryker2000

Team Red wish MiG-23/27, Su-17/22, Su-24, Su-30 C, Yak-130, Tu-16, Tu-95, Tu-22M

Team Blue want AH-1W, AH-64, Alphajet, A-4, Jaguar, Tornado, F-16, A-6, A-7, F-111, F-15E, B-52, B-1B

We've got stuff on the way, it's a comfort. I hear what you are saying, it just seems to me that people get so wrapped up in that mindset instead of just waiting patiently for the next fun ride. Someone has a plan lol.....I have to believe the devs all talk to each other behind the scenes. With BST's Phantom, early Hornet, Harrier, Community A-4, and RAZBAM's Corsair II on the horizon we seem to have a nice mix of planes that starred in Vietnam who also fought in the Gulf, and also planes that were designed and built based on shortcomings found during Vietnam. This is just my observation, and to be honest I seem to be one of the dumber people on here so maybe what I'm seeing isn't right. The other thing that makes me happy about the next "generation" of DCS modules is that I grew up seeing these planes at air shows, drawing them, flying them in Sims like the Jane's series and Strike Fighters, so I'm ready!!!

For your heavy strike, sit tight. If you flew FSX or SF series then you know RAZBAM crushed it on the A-6. I would be shocked if it never found it's way on here. I'm not saying anything intel based or "insider knowledge", hell I'm the last guy with that kind of info, it just makes sense to me that they would get around to it because of how popular they were the previous decade - NO ONE gave you a better Intruder experience than these guys did.

Above all else though are two heavy lift helicopters. I'm a helicopter guy, sorry! There's a bunch of folks here who are. Huey is great, but she's old and slow. Both Ch-53 and Chinkook fly faster and carry more, so when word dropped that we might be getting the Super Stallion I nearly lost my mind. For a guy like me who likes the jets, flies them because they are neat, but LOVES flying helil's and being in that support role this was great news! So there's your answer, some of us are just wired different and go nuts for niche aircraft like heavy utility birds.

~Rob

I really don't get this fetish over military odds and ends, like heavy utility choppers. For one thing, the one module they would be useful in, Combined Arms, is pretty bare bones. If it was as full featured as Battlefield 2 or something, I could see wanting a bird like a Super Stallion. But it's not.

Secondly, there are SO many holes in the stable of combat aircraft, which DCS is currently all about. NO dedicated US/West attack helicopter, just utility choppers with a few bolt on weapons. No modern light fighter to tangle with the MiG-21 and 29, save for the Mirage. And there's the F-5 but it's antiquated and very limited. No fast or heavy ground attack aircraft and no light strike fighters like the MiG-27, Su-17/22, Alphajet, Skyraider or Jaguar. And no flyable bombers?

For that matter, a dab here and there of WWII assets?? So with that, we have a handful of modern combat aircraft, a smattering of Vietnam era craft, and a small scoop of WWII stuff. With modules taking so long to produce, and the mod community being a crapshoot right now, I'm hoping that ED has some new partners lined up for 2018, because this is pretty much a hodge podge of a combat sim.

And to round out my grouch, I think you guys should really focus on two factors for your wishes. 1, what will complete DCS World best as it grows. 2, what will make ED and partners the most money, because more money means not just that they can buy new cars - yeah right - and pay the utility bills, but have more cash to devote to even more goody projects for us to play with in coming years. Years, remember. If these modules came fast n furrious, I wouldn't care what anyone produced this month. But since everything takes a small eternity, waiting for the F-16 and Tornado is going to be painful. At least the Harrier is near and the F/A-18C isn't horribly far off.

So, think kind of strategically, because what you want might not be what will make the best sales, or make DCS all that much better now.

I would take an Apache, Cobra, Black Hawk, or Mi-28 over any modern jet a/c. In fact, I would take any ONE of these helo's over the full stable of modern fighter, fighter-bomber, and strike jets. In fact, if tomorrow every single modern jet sim from DCS were to stop being playable, I do not think I would notice for weeks if not months! From my perspective, those are the "odds and ends" fetish :)

I, of course, recognize --- like I am sure you do --- that other perspectives are both valid and supported in the DCS framework, including the jet jockey one. So I am not going to dismiss your fetish as a fetish.

But I do want to say that if you think the only module transport/utility helos would be useful in is Combined Arms, then you have not been doing helos correctly! I've been flying transport helos in DCS and have clocked in countless hours of exhilarating and fulfilling time, and guess what? Do not have Combined Arms, and never felt the need for it!! The SP campaigns are amazing, and there are some fantastic SP missions that have incredible replay value. I think the number of times I've run "Huey Drop" (and my home-brewed variants of same, with gunships, different classes of opponents/weaponry, challenges in the form of weather, etc.) must be in the 3 digit figures. And, in MP, Blue Flag or Open Conflict and the like have utility helos in very high demand.

In contrast, I think I got bored with the A-10C after learning its systems. I like the F-5 for its old-skool stick-and-rudder-ish BFM/ACM, but if I really want the latter, I get in the Spit/Pony/Kurfurst (or, in the "other" sim, the Yak). I've also got the M2000, the Su-27, the F-15, etc., but none of that appeals to me very much for long term.

You are right, that a LOT of people come to DCS for the jets. It certainly is a very strong appeal of DCS. But that is not its only appeal.

DCS currently also offers the best helo simulation in town (yes, better than X-Plane IMHO), and the only realistic helo simulation in "harm's way" conditions. I know a lot of people who came to DCS to fly helos, and a lot of people who, like me, while "tinkering" with other platforms, fly mainly helos. What's more, I will buy without thinking twice ANY helo that comes to DCS. In a heartbeat. Whether the Mi-28 or Apache or the BO or, yes, some B-list lightweight buzzyfly "what-the-hell-is-that-helo". And so would many people I know. With the fighter/strike jets? Not so ready. Depends on a number of things, and it has to inherently appeal to me. E.g., while I might change my mind, I am probably not going to get the Harrier right now (maybe later; I would if I hadn't already tried the A-10C to realize the mission profiles don't light my fires that much).

So, I appreciate your assessment of what appeals to you and why you think DCS pursuing those goals will be healthy for everyone in the long run on the assumption that most people like what you like. At the same time, however, I am pointing out that there are lot of people out there who preferentially like other toys in the playground and those toys are the primary appeal of DCS for them. In terms of sustaining the company and ecosystem, it comes down to numbers, and neither of us have sufficient real data to claim anything, but I accept that the virtual jet-jockey niche is probably larger than the helo-driver niche. But I think not only is there room for both, but it is not a zero-sum game, and the two niches are not competing with each other: the more revenue each niche brings in, the more everyone benefits. It does not help to dismiss one as the bastard step-child.

TL;DR: Helo's are my DCS's raison d'etre. If it were not for helos, I would have left DCS a long time ago. I am not alone.

Just my 2c ...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy the variety, like Helo's because we can park anywhere, meander up the streets etc and done some low level in Puma's and Wessex, not driving of course, but did get some manouvering in the Puma a couple of times. I agree that some dev somewhere will take on our favourite beastie fast or slow, so it's best to sit back and enjoy what we have, look forward to the next....and try to fly what we have, well.....that last bit's a problem for me lol