YAK-52 English Cockpit

Johnr666

Am I correct in assuming the English labelled cockpit is not yet available?

I was looking forward to the YAK-52 and I am not disappointed.

Unlike most of rte DCS aircraft it is easy to learn to fly and a lot of fun. If I was introducing a novice to DCS this is the aircraft I would start with.

Cheers

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
All labels are in English for switches accept text inside gauges and on nav instruments, that wouldn't be realistically changed.

Considering there are other red airframes with option of an English pit, with English gauges, which would not realistically exist, there's no reason not to translate the gauges on the yak. It comes across as only half-done.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Considering there are other red airframes with option of an English pit, with English gauges, which would not realistically exist, there's no reason not to translate the gauges on the yak. It comes across as only half-done.

Actually it's a little over done as IRL there are plenty of cockpit photos where Russian labels have been covered with dynotape (or similar) labels and the gauges retain their original Russian.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Actually it's a little over done as IRL there are plenty of cockpit photos where Russian labels have been covered with dynotape (or similar) labels and the gauges retain their original Russian.

not necessarily. theres two ways of looking at this:

1. player expectations, when they choose to use an english cockpit, they expect to see the cockpit in english, not half done in cyrillic

2. it makes a better fidelity simulation. this seems counterintuitive because the writing is completely different, and thats not how the real cockpit looks. im pretty sure no ka-50 ever had an ABRIS display english, yet we can convert that& other avionics to english. look at it another way: theres only two ways you can simulate the linguistic familiarity of the sim pilot with a russian pit: expect the player to learn russian, or present the pit in the players native language not as a crutch, but so they can interact with the aircraft with the ease & familiarity that a native speaker would

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

not necessarily. theres two ways of looking at this:

1. player expectations, when they choose to use an english cockpit, they expect to see the cockpit in english, not half done in cyrillic

2. it makes a better fidelity simulation. this seems counterintuitive because the writing is completely different, and thats not how the real cockpit looks. im pretty sure no ka-50 ever had an ABRIS display english, yet we can convert that& other avionics to english. look at it another way: theres only two ways you can simulate the linguistic familiarity of the sim pilot with a russian pit: expect the player to learn russian, or present the pit in the players native language not as a crutch, but so they can interact with the aircraft with the ease & familiarity that a native speaker would

The English cockpit mod looks great and converts everything including the speed into knots.

ED's English cockpit converts all labels but leaves maybe 4 gauges in Russian, probably 95% is in English so its not a big deal to me. The 5% still in Russian you wouldn't be likely to convert the gauges anyway in real life, so it feels more realistic if the aircraft was imported to a western English speaking country.

Edited by panzerd18

• 8 months later...
On 4/10/2020 at 7:33 PM, Sprool said:

INstall didnt work for me, I had to copy the lua file from the chinese pit and edit it to get the ENG dds files to workedit

Hi @Sprool.

i´m not very familiar with those files editing. Can you share this file and tell us where to put it?

Thank you 😉

I7 4770K / 1080 TI / 16GB RAM / VR Q2 / 3X IIYAMA 27 / T.16000M FCS TWCS / TRACK IR PRO

A-10C II / F/A18 C / F-14 / F16-C / M-2000C / F-86F Sabre / C-101 / SPITFIRE LF / P-51D / FW 190 D-9 / FW 190 A-B / Bf 109 K-4

CHRISTEN EAGLE II / YAK-52 / UH-1H Huey / SA 342

CHANNEL MAP / NEVADA / NORMANDY /  PERSIAN / SYRIA / SUPERCARRIER /

TAKE OFF FRANCE.FR

In Eagle Dynamics > DCS World OpenBeta > Mods > Aircraft > Yak-52 > Liveries > Cockpit_Yak-52 there are the 3 folders for different language pits; chinese, default and english. 

In the english folder I have description.lua, yak52-cpt-12_ENG.dds, yak52-cpt-light_ENG.dds and yak52-cpt-signs_ENG.dds

In the description.lua file (which you MUST edit with Notepad++), I have:

livery = 
{
{"yak52-cpt-signs", 0, "yak52-cpt-signs_eng", false};
{"yak52-cpt-light-arg193", 0, "yak52-cpt-light_eng", false};
{"yak52-cpt-light-arg289", 0, "yak52-cpt-light_eng", false};
{"yak52-cpt-12", 0, "yak52-cpt-12_eng", false};
}

The 'false' tells the model to use the local texture folders of the designated name from only the local folder, otherwise they default to the main default folder and default textures.

Edited by Sprool
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 1:33 AM, Sprool said:

In Eagle Dynamics > DCS World OpenBeta > Mods > Aircraft > Yak-52 > Liveries > Cockpit_Yak-52 there are the 3 folders for different language pits; chinese, default and english. 

In the english folder I have description.lua, yak52-cpt-12_ENG.dds, yak52-cpt-light_ENG.dds and yak52-cpt-signs_ENG.dds

livery = 
{
}

The 'false' tells the model to use the local texture folders of the designated name from only the local folder, otherwise they default to the main default folder and default textures.

Thank you very much 😉

I7 4770K / 1080 TI / 16GB RAM / VR Q2 / 3X IIYAMA 27 / T.16000M FCS TWCS / TRACK IR PRO

A-10C II / F/A18 C / F-14 / F16-C / M-2000C / F-86F Sabre / C-101 / SPITFIRE LF / P-51D / FW 190 D-9 / FW 190 A-B / Bf 109 K-4

TAKE OFF FRANCE.FR

On 1/5/2021 at 1:33 AM, Sprool said:

livery = 
{
}

Sorry to ask again but the way you explain it and sure the way my bad english translate it i can´t make it work.

Even changing the "FALSE" to "TRUE" i don´t see any changes.

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Yak-52\Liveries\Cockpit_Yak-52\englishb

livery =
{
{"yak52-cpt-signs", 0, "yak52-cpt-signs_ENG", true};
{"yak52-cpt-light-arg193", 0, "yak52-cpt-light_ENG", true};
{"yak52-cpt-light-arg289", 0, "yak52-cpt-light_ENG", true};
{"yak52-cpt-12", 0, "yak52-cpt-12_ENG", true};

Also in the "SPECIAL" section of the UI if i use ENGLISH cockpit that doesn´t work...

What am i missing?

😉

Edited by PhilTheBeat

TAKE OFF FRANCE.FR

Do you also have the english textures in the right place?

DCS World Open Beta / Mods / aircraft / Yak-52 / Cockpit / Textures / Yak-52-CPT-Textures folder

In the folder should be 7 dds texture files. You should rename the original zipped file inside cockpit / textures to prevent the game from using it, but dont delete it!

@Sprool thanks to take the time 😉

So what i´ve got is:

1-Here: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Yak-52\Cockpit\Textures

A zip file named (by default): YAK-52-CPT-TEXTURES.ZIP

2-Here: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Yak-52\Liveries\Cockpit_Yak-52\english

I have the LUA file and 3 DDS files which represent the cockpit (in ENGLISH).

If i rename the YAK-52-CPT-TEXTURES.ZIP (By YAK-52-CPT-TEXTURES01.ZIP)

This is what i get :

0r5l2ke.png

TAKE OFF FRANCE.FR

I have the english cockpit textures here: C:\Users\*MyName*\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\aircraft\Yak-52\Cockpit\Textures\YAK-52-CPT-TEXTURES

- actually I think I have them in both the saved games/ path as well as the main ED/dcs world path, but my belief is that the saved games path takes priority over the default ed/dcs world path. the saved games path remains working after every dcs world update, and my yak cockpit is still showing the english mod. 

Can you post up your lua file?

Are you getting the option to set default, chinese or english cockpit in the Options/special menu for the Yak in DCS?

Edited by Sprool

The lua file located here: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Yak-52\Liveries\Cockpit_Yak-52\english

livery =
{
}

8aQFCK2.png

uwISg7P.png

Edited by PhilTheBeat

TAKE OFF FRANCE.FR

I´ve found how to make it work.

1-Download this file here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/fr/files/3301696/

2-Unzip it and use it with OvGME or similar.

3-Go to :

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Yak-52\Cockpit\Textures

Unzip the YAK-52-CPT-TEXTURES.ZIP

You'll should have 49 DDS files

4-Put in a separate folder (on your desktop for example) those DDS:

• yak52_cpt_01_Normal
  • yak52_cpt_gauge_Normal
  • yak52-cpt-01
  • yak52-cpt-06
  • yak52-cpt-07
  • yak52-cpt-12
  • yak52-cpt-gauge

Keep them.

Now you still have 42 DDS files . Repack those files as a ZIP file with the same name: YAK-52-CPT-TEXTURES

5-Now in this directory: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\Yak-52\Cockpit\Textures

You must have a folder named : YAK-52-CPT-TEXTURES (this is the folder that you have downloaded above and activate with OvGME or similar as mentioned before)

And you should have the ZIP file that content the 42 DDS files.

6-Run DCS. In the UI go the "special" section, select the YAK-52 and the "english" cockpit

7-Run a flight and you should have this result:

ife2ofy.png

Any easiest solution is welcome.......

Edited by PhilTheBeat
  • Thanks 1

TAKE OFF FRANCE.FR

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It would also be nice if we could have a 'western' AI as part of the English cockpit too.  AFAIK it is a requirement for Yaks on the UK register to have this gauge replaced (or blanked), along with the metric ASI and altimeter.

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.