VEAO Update - May 2017

Nowhere in that post it is ever stated VEAO would only have a single programmer.

I understand the frustration everyone is feeling right now and hopefully I answered his question/post MMJ, let's not get into disagreements and try to move forward in a positive way.

I'm tired of the arguing :noexpression:

I understand the frustration everyone is feeling right now and hopefully I answered his question/post MMJ, let's not get into disagreements and try to move forward in a positive way.

I'm tired of the arguing :noexpression:

Aye. I just come across so many posts all over the forums where the OP has been misread.

On a side note... as the Hawks issues seem to be a persistent bunch, have you/your team already started rebuilding the ASM, or are there items you'd rather sort out before that dispite them being redone in the future? It has been six months since the recode was announced, so I'm curious on its progress.

Naturally there won't be anything to show until it is closer to completion, of course.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I understand the trouble you guys are having. I'm studying programming now and I know how hard it is to find that one little piece of code in a haystack to fix an issue and it doesn't always make sense as to why it happened. Especially when you're work is based off of the ever changing work of others.

As sad as I am that the Typhoon won't be released for a long time now, its always better to have a quality module later than one that doesn't work now. :smilewink:

Thanks for letting us know what's going on and even giving us an explanation to help us understand. :D

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Mig-29K, Su-24, Mig-25, J-8II, J-10 , Tornado

Specifications:

Windows 10 64Bit, i7-7700K 4.2Ghz, GTX 1080, 16Gb RAM, T.flight Stick X

Nothing has changed in our development program timeline. All contract modules are at various stages in development from 3D models to texturing to coding.

It is simply the release of those modules that is affected as we do not want to release products that could potentially have the same bug issues that Hawk has had over the years.

Surely this is better for the community no?

250K lines of Code? Yeesh....

I sometimes go crazy just maintaining my 16K Lines for my App.. yikes,.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I have a family member who started coding in the earliest days, picked it up like learning to walk, and never saw the problem. She tried to teach me....we both gave up, She was taken on by one of the BIG computer companies, and never looked back..but I have NEVER had the patience to go through code, adding little bits in FSX still annoys me.

So I'm in sympathy with VEAO. I could never learn to do coding, make a model, get to fly and 'do thing's.

So I frankly don't care what other companies do

I've never come across a flight sim that has worked perfectly, and I don't expect perfection.

Been in enough RAF Aircraft that have gone duff after start up and don't expect the sim to work perfect either.

Loaded and unloaded the gear of 3 herc's one afternoon....into late evening, on the 4th attempt we got away.

That's life and I'm behind these guys.

Nothing has changed in our development program timeline. All contract modules are at various stages in development from 3D models to texturing to coding.

It is simply the release of those modules that is affected as we do not want to release products that could potentially have the same bug issues that Hawk has had over the years.

Surely this is better for the community no?

Yeah, it really is a lot better for the community in my opinion. :smilewink:

A bigger problem is trying to understand how someone else has coded something and disect it to figure out what is going wrong.

I've done that many times in past as a programmer and man it's difficult.

It surely is. What you guys are going through is far worse than the tests and examples my professors give to the class. I really admire you for being able to do it. :D

Modules:

Owned:

P-51D, F/A-18C, AJS-37, NTTR, F-5E, M-2000C, Bf 109, Fw 190 D-9, F-86F, Mig-15Bis, A-10C, Combined Arms, Mi-8Mtv2, UH-1H, Black Shark 2, Mig-21Bis, FC3, F-14A/B, Mig-19, Spitfire, JF-17, Persian Gulf

Would Like to See:

Specifications:

Many thanks.

Ok guys I need to spend time with my family for the funeral tomorrow.

I'll be back on Thursday and will answer more questions then if Pete hasn't already answered.

I'm sorry for your loss Ells. :( Take care.

Modules:

Owned:

Would Like to See:

Specifications:

It took me just under an hour to read every single post in the last 7 pages, and I only have one question to all you guys: When can we expect DCSW 2.5 to roll out? I was ultra hyped for the P-40F, and now that it appears it won't be out until around the time DCSW 2.5 is out. I would like to know the general time that DCS 2.5 can be expected. Thanks in advance!

Happy flyin', folks! :pilotfly:

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
It took me just under an hour to read every single post in the last 7 pages, and I only have one question to all you guys: When can we expect DCSW 2.5 to roll out? I was ultra hyped for the P-40F, and now that it appears it won't be out until around the time DCSW 2.5 is out. I would like to know the general time that DCS 2.5 can be expected. Thanks in advance!

Happy flyin', folks! :pilotfly:

They wont have that info, only ED, and ED hasnt given a timeline on that yet.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I fully support your decision to postpone release and think you made a good call. I look forward to the Hawk updates and hope she can work as intended soon.........

+1 definitely the right decision IMO.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

A wise decision but as you say, not one taken lightly.

I came to this decision a long time ago - my circumstances completely different granted, but the barrier concept the exact same.

DCS................A beautiful woman I want to spend a great deal of time with - all the time, whom I have committed to before, in all of my energies, efforts and money. Shame she keeps changing the goalposts and being a fickle beast i just could never get the measure of. Not just her, but her family too.

Good luck Chris, look forward and out. Plenty of other more stable platforms to focus on and prosper from.

'T'

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

A bigger problem is trying to understand how someone else has coded something and disect it to figure out what is going wrong.

Which is then exacerbated when their code is updated without good notes and change logs. However, I'm sure you know all about that :smilewink:.

haha excellent on the AOL thing, yep I have fond memories of those too.

Have you ever thought about coding for DCS or have any interest in it?

I've dabbled here and there. Lack of interactive debugging often kills my interest quickly though. Wish there was a console you could just paste LUA in and print out to.

Not much interest in flight model/systems. I tend to focus more on aspects of the game that are in common with my day to day work. Shaders, Image manipulation, utilities, user options, user interfaces, libraries and apis, etc.

My day job involves writing software for artists and production departments. Very hands on and fluid from day to day. A lot like a combat engineer. You get them across the river under fire when the bridges are blown out.

The work you do affects peoples day a whole bunch so you get very sympathetic to user issues. Rarely do big things poop all over there day. Death by a thousand cuts is the most common issue. After a bit of time you start to pay attention to the details most overlook as small and not a huge problem.

Probably why I wanna strangle whoever wrote the debit machine software at my local gas station. If you accidentally hit "Cash Back" there is no "Cancel" option. I mean who didn't think of that?!?! You have to the clerk to restart the transaction :(

• ED Team

Good luck Chris, look forward and out. Plenty of other more stable platforms to focus on and prosper from.

'T'

While a appreciate the nature of VEAO's communication, I highly doubt they are putting 100% blame of their woes on ED, while I can only imagine that developing for a premier simulation engine has its challenges, especially one going thru a huge engine change like DCS is, I know VEAO has also had their own personal bumps along the way. I dont think they are stating they are focusing on another platform.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I've had the unspoken thought of "what did I really spend my money on here" for awhile now.

I've thought that before, now where was it... Oh yes, Star Citizen!

Ultimately everybody needs to sit back and let them get on with it. You'll get it when you get it and there really isn't a thing you can do about it. If you don't support them, ask for your money back if you put your hand in your pocket in the first place and own a VEAO module at all that is, and are not just trolling the thread.

We all need to take a piece of the blame here and take a big bite of the proverbial sandwich:

VEAO for trying to code something to a 9/10 level when for the first module maybe a 5/10 would have done.

ED for not having clear lines of communication on change management of their code to partners that are ultimately bringing them revenue.

YOU (and me) as the customers of these products for crying and whining about wanting everything NOW and applying so much pressure on both of the above parties to even release an ALPHA version in the first place. I mean seriously, ALPHA software should NEVER be in a paying customers hands, if I did that in my day job, I don't think I'd have even a small percentage of paying customers left anymore and I'd be bankrupt.

Despite opinions to the contrary above, I'm certain that other 3rd parties have experienced the same issues as VEAO have to some degree. Yes they may well have handled them differently, but I'd go as far as saying that the reason that IRIS completely stopped developing for DCS, Coretex simulations disappeared, Razbam halted development of the T-2 and A-7, and that Leatherneck and Polychop broke up into the new 3rd parties that have formed from them are a testament to that view.

VEAO: You can keep the money I paid you for the Hawk and the P-40, and I wish you the very best of luck. It is the 3rd parties of DCS that are keeping it alive, whilst the great transition to 2.5 takes place.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While a appreciate the nature of VEAO's communication, I highly doubt they are putting 100% blame of their woes on ED, while I can only imagine that developing for a premier simulation engine has its challenges, especially one going thru a huge engine change like DCS is, I know VEAO has also had their own personal bumps along the way. I dont think they are stating they are focusing on another platform.

No of course not. It is merely an option available.

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

It seems that some people are not recognizing the distinction between (as an outside party, especially) building a module from scratch while there are ongoing low-level, core engine changes, vs. addressing minor issues w/ incremental patches along the way...

For a 3rd party, trying to build a module from scratch on top of core tech that is fundamentally changing at the same time, is like trying to frame a house on top of a foundation is still being poured.

Post-2.5 development will be more predictable for them and not cost as many man-hours having to re-do core work multiple times along the way.

• Like 1