F-16 MFD Readability

USA_Recon

For the second issue, the lighting is jacked up. If you look at the screen shots below you'll see that the sun is on my nose and yet the bootwell is lit up like the sun is shinning directly in there. I don't think the black sheepskin seat covers are reflecting it.

Are you sure you didn't jack with your shadows settings? Don't remember the specific settings names off hand, but my cockpits looked like that a while ago and it was caused by a shadow setting being too low. I'm definitely not seeing that issue currently.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

First thing I did was get on the SYM rocker and try to crank the symbols brighter. Reflections seem out of control for a display unit that probably cost $10,000 and has all sorts of technology to enhance viewing.

They're actually $20,000ea. for new old stock. No idea what a brand new one is.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Are you sure you didn't jack with your shadows settings? Don't remember the specific settings names off hand, but my cockpits looked like that a while ago and it was caused by a shadow setting being too low. I'm definitely not seeing that issue currently.

I wish that was the problem. I do not use shadows at all. No texture shadows and no terrain shadows. Both are off. Never liked them.

The amount of aliasing seems directly related to the position of the sun. It's different for each theater, in PG it's not as bad in the evening and morning which is the DCS sweet spot for all modules. Those pics I posted are from Caucasus though just after dawn and that SS looks exactly like that in the Index. No other module looks that way. They are crystal clear. I don't get it...

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

This is always a good suggestion but not effective in this case. I've flown DCS in VR for two years now beginning with the CV1, Pimax 5K+, S, Reverb and now the Index. I know every tweak there is to get an HMD to look as good as possible. The problem is not with the HMD though it effects some more than others. The Reverb, having the highest resolution natively shows the least impact. Then the S, then Index, followed by the Gen 1 units.

The difference is stark when you compare the Viper to any other modules MFD's. I've been obsessing over this for a couple weeks now, at least since either the Oct 10th or 31st updates. I can't pin down which.

I'm sure we'll see optimisation passes that bring back some of that performance, hopefully with increased readability, and without doubt brightness settings. Seeing as my Reverb just arrived about 20mins ago, I'm honestly a little disappointed that it won't help that much. Oh well, will have to see this weekend.

I wish that was the problem. I do not use shadows at all. No texture shadows and no terrain shadows. Both are off. Never liked them.

That's exactly what's causing the bright foot wells. I noticed the same problem as you started when I went from low to even flat shadows, let alone off. I'm wondering if reporting to ED will just result in a [correct as is] tag and a recommendation to turn on shadows?

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

That's exactly what's causing the bright foot wells. I noticed the same problem as you started when I went from low to even flat shadows, let alone off. I'm wondering if reporting to ED will just result in a [correct as is] tag and a recommendation to turn on shadows?

I'm sorry guys, but why are you surprised that you're not getting shading with shadows set to off? Of course you're going to get bright foot wells and anything else that faces the sun, since the cockpit structure is not shading anything now. The only way around this would be to disable material reflections completely.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Yeah if you have shadows off then of course you're going to see surface highlights like that as the rest of the cockpit is no longer occluding the sunlight. I honestly can't fly with shadows off, it looks hideous IMHO.

• Like 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

It was introduced before the 50 as the Block 40's have it as well I believe.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll turn on shadows and see if it helps. If it does, i can hopefully turn off MSAA.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

lol touché! Point taken. Check out these photos. They're the best ones I can find with decent resolution. Is this what you're seeing?

IMG_2064_zpsxzjyr4gz.jpg

WOW! I *WISH* that was what the MFDs looked like in VR! All I get is semi-bright green (not bad), almost-invisible dark green, and 1/256-color-value-different-from-background maybe-dark-green.

+1 very hard to see things..

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

You should be seeing a blue Bullseye in the bottom left corner of at least the left MFD and blue range rings on the HSD. They're there but almost impossible to see without zoom.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WOW! I *WISH* that was what the MFDs looked like in VR! All I get is semi-bright green (not bad), almost-invisible dark green, and 1/256-color-value-different-from-background maybe-dark-green.

Me too, ain't she pretty?! lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here's a good pic of the HUD.

F-16ckpthud_zpshj5rhw7b.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm glad I saw this before I wasted $80.

We don't all have 20-20 vision.

Probably a little dramatic bro. I don't have 20/20 vision either, play in VR, and struggle to read the MFD's, and I certainly don't think I have 'wasted' $80.

I just deal with it.

• Like 1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I played around with my settings on my system (Ryzen 3600, 32gb RAM, 2700S and Rift S) and found by turning pixel density to 1.5, cockpit displays to 1024 and turning off MSAA the displays popped in to readability.

1.5 was the lower limit, 1.6 a little better but diminishing returns for the performance hit. Turning off ASW seemed to help as well. While the Hornet I seem to be able to get away with a lower pixel density and add msaa to smooth out the jaggies no such option with the Viper.

I think it should be on bug forum because reading mfd is a must and it is now almost impossible

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5