JTAC - CAS training

NECK

The 132nd Virtual Wing is looking for combined arms users that would be interested in forming or participating in a dedicated ground unit for JTAC's

The JTACs will be participating in combat operations supporting ground forces with CAS.

JTAC's can expect to work with multiple CAS flights from various virtual organizations, the JTAC can also expect to work with AWACS/JSTARS assets requesting air support, providing sitrep's

JTAC's can also participate in the AWACS/JSTARS command and control function support air-to-ground operations.

All CAS procedures will be according to real-world procedures, and the 132nd Virtual Wing will provide a real-world JTAC for JTAC/CAS lessons.

The 132nd Virtual Wing have conducted successful combined operations with the following virtual organizations: 3rd Wing, 5e EVC, Masterarms, INTA HUMAR (JTAC), RAF Air UK, AMVI and the 476th.

The 132nd Virtual Wing normally conducts its events around 2000 -2300 CET

More information about 132nd Virtual Wing and our operations can be found in this thread:

132nd Virtual Wing - ED Forum

132nd Virtual Wing Website

If anyone would be interested, please let me know in this thread, or by sending me a PM here on this forum.

Edited by NECK

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes

turned skyward for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"

Neck.png

132nd Public documents - Want to apply? - 132nd Youtube channel - 132nd Discord Channel

• 7 months later...

Here is a video showing a CAS training sortie flown by a 132nd Virtual Wing pilot, controlled by several 132nd JTAC's

The mission contains human ATC, human AWACS, human JTAC in addition to the various flights participating.

In this training the flights are singleships, in order to maximise the training output on the CAS/AWACS/ATC procedures

Also partcipating on this mission is pilots/controllers from the 3rd Wing.

The perspective in the video is from the perspective of CLAW 3-1 (singleship A-10C)

9:08 Take off

13:00 Check-in w. OVERLORD

17:35 Check-in w. VIKING

28:55 CAS brief ALPHA w. VIKING

34:35 CAS brief BRAVO w. VIKING

44:30 VIKING moving

45:00 CLAW capture targets

46:55 CAS brief CHARLIE

52:30 CLAW capture 2x Tanks

53:10 TIC - CAS brief DELTA

1:01:00 Check-out from VIKING

1:06:00 Check-in TEXACO

1:08:00 Check-in OVERLORD

1:09:30 Check-in w. FAC(A) FURY 5-1

1:14:40 CAS brief, FURY

1:21:25 CAS brief, WARRIOR

1:37:15 RTB

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes

turned skyward for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"

Neck.png

132nd Public documents - Want to apply? - 132nd Youtube channel - 132nd Discord Channel

Authentication went away and hasn't been used for normal communications in the 90's. Ever since radios started to use cipher/crypto/freq hop.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Authentication went away and hasn't been used for normal communications in the 90's. Ever since radios started to use cipher/crypto/freq hop.

That might be your experience, however we have active duty personell in the 132nd and we choose to do it this way, which is based on how real- life procedures are conducted with organizations we have knowledge of.

Neck.png

That might be your experience, however we have active duty personell in the 132nd and we choose to do it this way, which is based on how real- life procedures are conducted with organizations we have knowledge of.

I only just retired a few months ago after 22 years. They don't even issue those books anymore.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

I only just retired a few months ago after 22 years. They don't even issue those books anymore.

As mentioned above, that is your experience, and thanks for providing your perspective on this subject. However, let us not make this into a thread about authentiction tables or not, let us stay on topic for CAS/JTAC training with combined arms under organization of the 132nd Virtual Wing.

Neck.png

As mentioned above, that is your experience, and thanks for providing your perspective on this subject. However, let us not make this into a thread about authentiction tables or not, let us stay on topic for CAS/JTAC training with combined arms under organization of the 132nd Virtual Wing.

I figured you would want to be as realistic and current as possible. Good luck. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I figured you would want to be as realistic and current as possible. Good luck. :thumbup:

Perhaps both of you are right. Internally within US armed forces with the same communication equipment /chiffers etc it might be obsolete. But in other scenarios with multi national (including non-NATO) forces there still is some need for authentication?

Just a side note that ir laser from the a10 in that screen shot is way to big. That looks like an IR Spot from a Specter gunship. Much personal experience. Hope they fix that

+1

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

Guys it's a cool training and well done comms. I would learn a lot from your video. Thanks for posting.

TU NE CEDE MALIS SED CONTRA AUDENTIOR ITO

Asrock Fatal1ty Gaming K6+, i5-6600K, 32 GB DDR4, Asus GTX 1070 Strix, SSD 500GB, HDD 1TB, Win 10 x64, Monitor LG Ultrawide 29UM67, Soundblaster Z+Sennheiser Game One, HOTAS Warthog, TFRP Thrustmaster, TrackIr

Perhaps both of you are right. Internally within US armed forces with the same communication equipment /chiffers etc it might be obsolete. But in other scenarios with multi national (including non-NATO) forces there still is some need for authentication?

We wouldn't be able to authenticate with them anyway since we wouldn't have the code books. They aren't issued anymore. It's been since the 90's since its ended.

We wouldn't be able to authenticate with them anyway since we wouldn't have the code books. They aren't issued anymore. It's been since the 90's since its ended.

As i have mentioned multiple times already, that is your experience, we have a different view on this perspective and do not agree on your perspective, and would appreciate if you could avoid spreading misinformation in this thread. If you prefer to discuss this topic, please open up your own thread for further discussions.

This thread is for discussions on JTAC/CAS operations in the 132nd Virtual Wing.

Neck.png

To an outsider it doesn't appear to me that Sniper is spreading misinformation at all, he is just stating the situation with US CAS doctrine based on his extensive experience.

First of all, I am sorry if I appeared arrogant or rude in the misinformation comment to Sniper, that was not my intention at all.

Let me clarify what I mean:

The code books are still in use in NATO, and also in other operations which the US participates in. It might be the case that internally, US forces are not using authentication codes, but as a part of the alliance they do. The code books which Sniper says has been destroyed since the 90's are not destroyed.

It might be the case (as I have mentioned the entire time) that Sniper have not been using them, and stopped using them at some point. But I do not think Sniper can speak for US forces and its allies as a whole. This have been my point from the original post.

In the 132nd we have active duty JTAC's trained at a US JTAC school, so we have the real life experience to back up our procedures and how we do stuff in the 132nd.

Neck.png

JTAC - CAS training

I second this. There are some bases that do things one way and others that do it much differently. Some places using computers and other places still using paper Tech Data for example.

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."- General Chuck Yeager, USAF, describing his first confrontation with a Me262.

JayRac3r/Lt_Mav YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."- General Chuck Yeager, USAF, describing his first confrontation with a Me262.

JayRac3r/Lt_Mav YouTube Channel

I have finished editing the next video, which involves scramble procedure for immediate CAS request, simultaneous ToT attacks by two flights etc., this time it will also be in full HD, yay.

unfortunately, my PC decided to hang during the render, but I will try again tonight when I get home so stay tuned.

I have never tried video editing, and underestimated how much work it actually is. Since we run training/missions twice a week in the 132nd, I have tons of video material but not enough time to make the videos, but Im working on it :)

A new video showing CAS training with the 132nd Virtual Wing.

In this training the flights are singleships, in order to maximise the training output on the CAS/AWACS/ATC procedures.

In this mission the 132nd are supported by the 5e EVC (AWACS controller + A-10C) and the 3rd Wing (KA-50 and F-15C)

The perspective in the video is from the perspective of CLAW 3-1 (singleship A-10C)

0:35 SCRAMBLE request by MAGIC

2:31 CLAW 3-1 and FURY 5-1 Requesting priority taxi

5:10 CLAW 3-1 Takeoff

6:00 Flyby KA-50s

7:00 CLAW 3-1 Checkin with OVERLORD (Air to Ground AWACS) and authentication

8:42 CLAW 3-1 Establish coms with JTAC WARRIOR

9:25 CLAW 3-1 Checkin with JTAC WARRIOR

11:35 AO update from WARRIOR for CLAW

12:27 receiving coordinates for friendlies

13:20 2nd flight, FURY 5-1, checkin with WARRIOR

14:15 CAS Brief alpha for CLAW 3-1

16:20 target talk-on by WARRIOR for CLAW 3-1

18:18 CLAW 3-1 In Hot from the South

20:10 CLAW 3-1 requesting rearm refuel from OVERLORD at Lochini airbase

21:30 CLAW 3-1 checking in with Tblisi TMA controller

23:09 Handoff to Lochini Tower

24:24 Cleared Overhead-Break

26:24 Breaking for Final

29:00 Finished Rearm Refuel and request Taxi from Ground Controller

31:15 Handoff from Approach to OVERLORD

32:13 Handoff from OVERLORD to JTAC PLAYBOY

36:10 FURY 5-1 attack run under control of JTAC PLAYBOY

37:05 CLAW 3-1 cockpit Cam

39:50 CLAW 3-1 checkin with JTAC PLAYBOY

42:45 CLAW 3-1 receiving Point Echo from PLAYBOY

43:30 CLAW 3-1 receiving AO Update from PLAYBOY

45:10 CLAW 3-1 receiving CAS Brief from PLAYBOY

49:10 CLAW 3-1 tipping in, Attack with Rockets

52:10 CLAW 3-1 tipping in, Reattack with Guns

54:20 CLAW 3-1 checkout from PLAYBOY

55:40 CLAW 3-1 checkin with OVERLORD

58:00 OVERLORD handoff CLAW 3-1 to JTAC WARRIOR

1:02:35 FURY 5-1 receiving Traffic Update from WARRIOR

1:06:30 WARRIOR marking target for CLAW3-1 by Laser

1:08:00 WARRIOR marking target for FURY 5-1 by Laser

1:10:55 WARRIOR requesting Time on Target Attack by three flights

1:13:30 Setting up for ToT Attack

1:14:00 TACVIEW CLAW 3-1 and FURY 5-1 synchronized attack

1:15:05 CLAW 3-1 rejoining with Fury 5-1 for 2-ship RTB

1:16:00 Fury 5-1 contacting Lochini Tower

1:17:10 Overhead Break

1:21:00 Rollout and Blade Flight (KA-50s) coming home

1:24:20 CAP flight (EAGLE 2-1 and 2-2) coming home

Neck.png