Learning to fly...

Dave73

i would start with learning a basic circuit.

from there i would learn basic navigation. once u can fly the aircraft to and from an airfield without thought u can start learning the weapons systems.

best thing you can do is get online with people that are keen to practice with you and also teach. i would invite you to join my guys but we still fly 1.5.8

Ive been trying to learn flying these modules with very poor results...

I purchase a cpl. While the sale is on so now just gotta figure things out, hopefully.

Ive asked some questions but seems all i ever hear is practice...i got that but theres got to be more than that. Like when i do a practice tutorial and listen to the instructor talk, its like another language with all the terminologies and such.

How did u guys start? Did you use a pen and paper(which ive filled half a notebook already) or is there a tablet app thats better for that? Which order do you think is the best way to learn things?

I guess what im pushing at is can someone give me some guidance...just seems trying to learn this with the game tutorials they jump all over and its so much so fast. Not all of us have pilot backgrounds or have played flight sims our whole life.

What order should i learn this? Is everything that the tutorials teach really needed like 5 different ways to navigate...? Are there any ideas you think i should do?

I understand i need to pratice, but are there certain steps that would help the next if doing them in a certain order...

Thanks for any help you can offer me, just seems like im spinning wheels half the time:mad:

Here's my tip, the biggest thing to learn when flying an aircraft would be the relationship between power, controls, and trim. I would recommend starting with TF-51 as fly by wire aircraft sometimes prevent the basic behavior associated with these rules.

Throttle - Controls engine RPM, how fast the engine rotates the propeller shaft

Propeller - Controls Propeller Blade Angle, but it also affects the engine RPM (To see how this works, leave the throttle alone, and move the propeller control to see how the RPM gauge responds.

Trim - On non fly-by-wire aircraft, mostly used on elevator with notches/tabs that can be moved upward or downward to apply pressured in the desired direction. Use the trim to alleviate any pressure you're applying. For example, if you're applying foreward stick pressure adjust trim tab down until you hardly have to apply any pressure to keep it straight and level.

Straight and Level - Practice setting the power level to specific level, say 60%, and maintain level flight after using the trim controls to maintain smooth level flight.

Climbs/Descents - Once you've master level flight, reduce the power and watch as the plane descends. Reset power and maintain level flight and then increase power and watch as the plane starts to climb. As you increase or decrease power, it will affect the amount of lift the wings generate. If you want to increase speed and not increase altitude, you will have to adjust your trim again to maintain straight and level. Once you reach you desired altitude, level off using elevator (forward/aft movement of stick) and wait till you reach desired speed, and then trim. Practice the same for descents.

PITCH/POWER/TRIM - Follows those steps.

Shallow Turns - Once you're good in level flight, descents, and climbs practice level shallow turns between 0 and 30 degrees bank. When you bank your wings, you will need to use some rudder pedal to maintain the yaw (left and right) to keep the plane coordinated. (Use the Turn Coordinator and keep the ball centered). When you start the turn, you will lose some lift and will need to compensate by applying a little aft pressure on the stick.

Make sure you learn the six pack of instruments:

Airspeed Indicator

Altitude Indicator

Attitude Indicator

Vertical Speed Indicator

Heading Indicator

Turn Coordinator Indicator

Then focus on engine instruments and systems after you've mastered the above.

Above all else, enjoy the journey.

TF-51 as a primary trainer ?!!

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

What other aircraft that's free?

Su-25T. Another non-fly-by-wire aircraft. A mud-mover. Fun to fly as long as you don’t load it down with every weapon you can hang on the pylons.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Dave...........The first thing you have to do is to decide what type of plane you want to fly. You bought FC3 and said the A-10 is your favorite plane but you also bought the F/A-18.

So, what appeals to you? Do you like to blow up stuff on the ground or fight another fighter? Maybe you want to do both? The F/A-18 will be perfect for that but it's not finished and I think it's too hard to learn as a first plane.

The A-10C is your goal if all you want to do is attack ground targets. Just like the F/A-18 it's not a good plane to start off with. The A-10a will be a better choice and move to the A-10c when you think you're ready.

If flying a fighter against another fighter appeals to you with maybe some ground attacks the F/A-18 is for you since you already have it. However, you don't want to start with it. You have the answer for that too. You have FC3. You could fly the F-15. It has a simple system to learn but an advanced flight model. It will be a good plane to learn fighting another plane. There's a lot to learn and it will help you when you switch to the F/A-18.

Here's a series of training tutorials for the F-15 to get you started if fighting in the air appeals to you. 13 videos on the right.

Buzz

Ive been trying to learn flying these modules with very poor results...

I purchase a cpl. While the sale is on so now just gotta figure things out, hopefully.

Ive asked some questions but seems all i ever hear is practice...i got that but theres got to be more than that. Like when i do a practice tutorial and listen to the instructor talk, its like another language with all the terminologies and such.

How did u guys start? Did you use a pen and paper(which ive filled half a notebook already) or is there a tablet app thats better for that? Which order do you think is the best way to learn things?

I guess what im pushing at is can someone give me some guidance...just seems trying to learn this with the game tutorials they jump all over and its so much so fast. Not all of us have pilot backgrounds or have played flight sims our whole life.

What order should i learn this? Is everything that the tutorials teach really needed like 5 different ways to navigate...? Are there any ideas you think i should do?

I understand i need to pratice, but are there certain steps that would help the next if doing them in a certain order...

Thanks for any help you can offer me, just seems like im spinning wheels half the time:mad:

Lots of sound advice in this thread Dave. It can seem overwhelming and of course it is if it's something new like anything else. Start really basic like getting your controls set up. This does take a bit of time. Then take it one step at a time and enjoy the fact that you are about to start an incredible journey that will lead to years of pleasure.

So from setting up your controls to a massive life changing leap. That's the best I can do. I will be quite happy to talk you through anything you are finding difficult. Just PM me and I will help.

Sure, but the TF-51 is less complex and can build from to more complex aircraft.

Oh...I don’t know about that. In both you push the throttle forward to go faster and pull it back to go slower. You pull the stick back to point your nose up and push it forward to point it down. Plus no prop pitch or engine toque to worry about. :)

Anyway, I was simply answering the question: what’s the other free aircraft.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

The A-10C is, IMO, one of THE easiest aircraft to fly.

It's only complicated once you get past the Four Forces.

:) Yes, it’s right up there with the -25T

_____

Thing is , "easy to fly" can have several definitions .

Warbirds are simple but have torque and p-factor issues that can make it difficult to even get off the ground for a newb , let alone hit anything or land .

F5 , L-39 , F-86 and the like are simple jets , but offer no aids in putting bombs on a target , and things happen quicker than in a warbird

Hornet points where you aim it , and is easy to takeoff and land , but systems heavy .

Name your poison , pick one bird , and learn to fly it well . For me it's the Hornet and L-39 . (Okay 2 birds , but none in the bush):)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

If I had to pick one, I would choose the A-10. It is slow and certainly not a fighter but if you are more interested in learning to fly (Pink Floyd reference keeps floating through my head) then it is a good choice.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm actually finding it more rewarding to alternate between platforms according to the mood or what sounds like I want to learn X today on it. Eventually I'll be able to competently fly all three in multiplayer or perhaps I'll fall in love with one of them. As it is I'd buy more modules if there was a sale :P

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Hey Dave, don't give up! Flight sims are so rewarding once you finally get them down, and just like riding a bike, you will if you stick to it. What you may not realize is how dependent your enjoyment is upon your controls. If you are using a keyboard and mouse, not only will you not enjoy it, but you won't be able to fly well no matter how good you are. You should at least get a joystick and throttle, and map the important functions in the controls.

The T-51 is a good plane to learn first, and comes with the game for free. Here is a vid I made that attempts to be short and to the point. Try to follow it and practice until you get it down. I hope it helps. After that, start to learn navigation.

My take.

Spend a bit of time with the Mission Editor. Learn how to place a plane, give it a loadout, and then place a couple targets. It's not too hard and actually pretty fun when you see the potential.

Next, pick a topic. Say, shooting Mavs from an A-10 using the targeting pod.

Then create a mission just for that. Make it fun with different types of targets, different terrains. Try different approaches. This is a good way to learn a system, because the mission becomes just about that system, rather than having to know all sorts of systems to meet an objective.

Edit: for those who haven't played with the ME editor due to intimidation factor, it's actually pretty easy. Fifteen minute youtube video will get you there. One huge advantage is you can fly the mission straight from the editor, and when done, be dumped back into the editor for that same mission. This is useful to make little changes, like say, forgetting to add the targeting pod to the loadout of the above scenario. Changing the weather. Etc.

I had no idea you could launch from the editor, I may need to start messing with this. Thanks for the heads up!

5d8761e91f871bf6860add5db467efb3.jpg

I am a RL Cessna pilot and have to say. Take your time with the start up, get to know where the switches are, get to know the take off speeds (rotation) and the. Approach and landing procedures. Start flying a circuit of the airfield (google VFR circuits) and get used to take off / landing. Then get into the manual for whatever module you are into. Slowly learn each system nav / weapon until you have mastered it. Then it’s practice, practice and practice!!

I’m still addicted many years later to this sim! I’m actually now designing missions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So to put it short: Jump into the seat, have a look around ...… and then…...

1. Learn to start up, taxi and takeoff

2. Learn how to stay airborne, climb, dive, turn and last but not least learn how to land

3. Learn to read the instruments in front of you and what they tell you

4. Learn to navigate ( i recommend setting up simple waypoint missions in the mission editor )

5. Learn how to use your weapon systems one by one using all the knobs, switches and screens at your disposal

In all this Youtube and this forum will be your friend. A few words in the search function

window will guide you to the relevant topic (relatively) fast and remember there are no stupid

questions, only stupid answers :pilotfly:

I too was overhelmed intitially. when i first began.

My first module therefore was the F86F despite wanting to play a modern fixed wing aircraft like the A10. (this was before Actual trainer jets or simpler supersonic like the F5)

I then moved to the Mig21, Mirage 2000, and eventually A10C.

HoweverYou dont need to progress through all various simpler airframes.

What i realized is The Key to not feeling overwhelmed is to learn 1 aspect of a given aircraft in a given order.

Then it wont seem so hard. Once youve learned a modern more complex aircraft, keeping that learning method in mind, everything else will seem relatively straightforward to grasp.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Is there a current thread or other source of finding a squadron or group willing to help new players? I'm not exactly new, I'm just terrible. :joystick:

All the reading, YouTube, and training missions in the world don't seem to be much use if you don't know that you're actually doing is fundamentally wrong. :doh:

:lol:

Saw a server for newbs in community news...