The sierra hotel carrier break. Aggressive TOP GUN trap

My attempt at a sierra hotel carrier break. did a couple passes before I got this one, I think its actually easier than the case 1...or maybe because I practiced the case 1 it made this one easy, who knows.

for those that don't know The "Sierra Hotel" Break was a carrier break perfected by Mike "Nasty" Manazir, a former F-14 fighter pilot and Landing Signal Officer, designed to get aircraft down on the deck as soon as possible.

She's a beaut, very fast landing pattern, highly recommended. I added LSO view and pilot view into the video.

Time to learn to trap like a top gun

real video

Edited by BIGNEWY
TITLE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

Thats a real nice landing, makes really sense to practice that as well. I wondered why you havent had your lefft DDI set to HUD. The Velocity Vector and AOA Indicator in the HUD should have better been lined up in one hight with the meatball, thus you might have performed a perfect thrird wire trap :).But I need to be able to do that as well before I make noise here :D

Now I need to train that as well :joystick:

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Thats a real nice landing, makes really sense to practice that as well. I wondered why you havent had your lefft DDI set to HUD. The Velocity Vector and AOA Indicator in the HUD should have better been lined up in one hight with the meatball, thus you might have performed a perfect thrird wire trap :).But I need to be able to do that as well before I make noise here :D

Now I need to train that as well :joystick:

To be honest I didn't set the DDIs because I was just messing around practicing and just wanted to get the turns right before I got all technical throwing the FCS and HUD on there didn't even use the TACAN or anything. It just happened to come out decent so I figured what the hell upload it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

• ED Team

Hi all, I have edited the posts, as they violate our no profanity rule. Rules can be found at the top.

please feel free to PM me if you are ever not sure

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi all, I have edited the posts, as they violate our no profanity rule. Rules can be found at the top.

thanks

Roger airboss, figured I'd try and slide that one through with an exclamation.:music_whistling::thumbup:

Just out of curiosity. What would happen in real life if a jet landed on a carrier at 236 kias and probably not 8.1 AoA? Would the plane event hook the cables? If it did hook, would there be damage or just a really bad jolt for the pilot?

Just out of curiosity. What would happen in real life if a jet landed on a carrier at 236 kias and probably not 8.1 AoA? Would the plane event hook the cables? If it did hook, would there be damage or just a really bad jolt for the pilot?

If u and the crew survive, at least u get a free helicopter ride home :lol:

One snapped neck for the pilot and hook will break

But looked cool :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think its actually easier than the case 1...or maybe because I practiced the case 1 it made this one easy, who knows.

SH break is ONLY done during case I. Case I is set based on WX and refers to the pattern used for both launching and recovering aircraft. Technically the SH break uses the exact same pattern just breaks earlier and some slightly modified alritudes to actually make it work.

Try breaking behind the ship to be able to slow down. Also rememeber you would be hitting other landing aircraft if you enter the break as low as you did..

Edited by strikerdg
Update

Interesting video, though I think there's lots of room for improvement. You touched down / trapped with 236 knots? Uh..oh...

haha I know i know, its hard to bleed the speed. I tried to do it at the fastest speed its ever been done with is I think 600 knots. unbelievable how hard it is to bleed that speed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks

sorry about that boss. thats deff my bad.

any chance you can put it as "the sierra hotel carrier break" ?

Edited by Growling Sidewinder

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SH break is ONLY done during case I. Case I is set based on WX and refers to the pattern used for both launching and recovering aircraft. Technically the SH break uses the exact same pattern just breaks earlier and some slightly modified alritudes to actually make it work.

Try breaking behind the ship to be able to slow down. Also rememeber you would be hitting other landing aircraft if you enter the break as low as you did..

thats a solid tip, I entered the break that low to try to see if having to gain altitude could help slow me down a bit. but youre absolutely right its deff not cool to do in real life. I'll try breaking a bit after the carrier and see how that goes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:megalol:While we're nitpicking, I'd like to request that you quit torturing those poor figlets (FFGs) and station them out where they belong. Put a cruiser at the carrier's 170 relative for 1500 yards and leave the FFGs out of the screen.

Trust me...a couple days of tagging along with the carrier and the crews on those FFGs are going to be looking for a change to strangle some airedales.:megalol:

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

:megalol:While we're nitpicking, I'd like to request that you quit torturing those poor figlets (FFGs) and station them out where they belong. Put a cruiser at the carrier's 170 relative for 1500 yards and leave the FFGs out of the screen.

Trust me...a couple days of tagging along with the carrier and the crews on those FFGs are going to be looking for a change to strangle some airedales.:megalol:

haha ok ok i'll change it out. u make a good point.

If someone says "hey this is easier" and then lands with twohundretsomething knots, they should be prepared for the "nitpicking".

ahah fair enough man, I dont mind the nitpicking. helps me spot issues and fix them. by all means anything you see thats a miss, post it, I'd love to become perfect at this stuff.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great effort. Obviously we have a lot of purists in this community so you won't be shortchanged with feedback. I'm glad you're taking them constructively, that's the right attitude :)

At least you're putting a lot of effort in actually flying the plane and clocking some hours of mastering handling rather than say "this and that doesn't work" when they've obviously need to just put in the time to get better. Which you are doing. so Kudos mate!

i7 9700k@5.0 Ghz, 32gb DDR4-3200, Maximus XI Formula, Asus Strix GTX 1080ti, 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Graphite Black, Wheelstandpro Warthog Deluxe V2, TrackIR 5 Pro. ROG Swift PG278Q 2560x1440, 12" Eyoyo LCD 1366x768 for TM Cougar MFDs.

Great effort. Obviously we have a lot of purists in this community so you won't be shortchanged with feedback. I'm glad you're taking them constructively, that's the right attitude :)

At least you're putting a lot of effort in actually flying the plane and clocking some hours of mastering handling rather than say "this and that doesn't work" when they've obviously need to just put in the time to get better. Which you are doing. so Kudos mate!

thanks man I appreciate the kind words.

Can you guess what is missing with this landing?

ok, first off, way too much fuel to be landing, he'd need to circle for a while just to dump that fuel, no initial pass, no 180, no 90, no 45, entered goove way to high, AoA way too steep, complete disregard for the ball, and what looked like a hook slap at the end there.

but he's probably just learning. that was me a week ago. he'll learn.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]