Suggestion for Visibility Enhancement System.

chihirobelmo

Whatever. Done debating it. I don't care for enlarge-o-vision, the core precept is backasswards and is trying to account for people's hardware.

Good thing that this is neither, then.

This is about ensuring that target sizes are what they should be across the board and about providing realism. People disliking balance is not a good reason not to do it; people preferring a lack of realism is not a good reason not to do it; that other imbalances exist is not a good reason not to do it; inability or difficulty in implementing is just an outright false reason not to do it. In fact, there are no good reason for not implementing such a superbly simple thing.

Balance is always good, and balance that can be had this cheaply and simply is even better.

Nobody has to run a 4k screen or a 1080 screen, or at those resolutions or screen sizes if they don't want to.

This is true, but the fundamental question remains: if you get a 4k screen or VR, why should you be actively penalised for it over someone that runs some decade-old 1080p monitor? It just doesn't make even the slightest shred of sense.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

making the visual system realistic is not a bad aim, and it has nothing to do with balance.

at the moment, all screens see unrealistically in either direction. pushing all screens towards realism (wherever that is) is not a bad aim.

but i mean whatever, continue to crow about how great your hardware is or whatever, missing the point entirely.

apart from trying to somewhat equalize visibility between different screen-setups (which is discussed in detail here) i have another suggestion:

- add "glinting" to reflective surfaces of aircraft and ground vehicles. since every surface is to some extent reflective, every surface could glint under specific sun angles, but obviously it would be most prominent on canopy and windows.

- this effect (basically just a post-processing "glow" or "star/streak" on light values over a certain threshold on preassigned geometry should be easily done when the object is in range thanks to PBR rendering, however...
the tricky part would be to render this glint effect even when the object is only rendered as a pixel or two. the engine would then still need to render a very basic geometry to calculate the amount of glinting, taking into account objects geometry size, position in relation to sun and "camera", ideally even reflective properties of material.

(this might sound complicated, but remember that a LOD of only 3 or 4 polygons might be enough for a delta wing fighter f.e.)

- the effect of this "glinting", would be that those distant "dots" would slightly pulsate in brightness, making them more visible. also wagglign around your aircraft could highly increase your visibility as your wing area potentially reflects huge amount of light, increasing the differences in brightness...

- additionally there could be serverside option to allow exagerated glinting, which would basically still apply the same physical calcualtions, but would exagerate the effect and would apply the post-processing glare/star/streak even to to distant dots, making the glare much bigger than the actual "dot".
- this would than work as visual helper, which would be way more realistic/immersive than those colored markers. some FPS games do a simialr effect on sniper-scopes, to make it easier to find snipers in the distance

- the exagerated effect would be - as mentioned above - a feature that could be controlled server-side. if done well, the base effect alone should already be very beneficial to spotting aircraft even at long ranges...

DCS is a simulation and is there to be enjoyed. If you wanted true realism then you would have to get rid of the black pixel indicator. In reality it is virtually impossible to spot an A2A gray aircraft pointing at you as he takes a shot. In ten years intercepting ground attack aircraft I never got shot in the face. In DCS it is relatively easy to look for the pixel in the direction of the spike.

This is just an observation as currently I think we have a pretty good balance.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Good thing that this is neither, then.

This is about ensuring that target sizes are what they should be across the board and about providing realism. People disliking balance is not a good reason not to do it; people preferring a lack of realism is not a good reason not to do it; that other imbalances exist is not a good reason not to do it; inability or difficulty in implementing is just an outright false reason not to do it. In fact, there are no good reason for not implementing such a superbly simple thing.

Balance is always good, and balance that can be had this cheaply and simply is even better.

This is true, but the fundamental question remains: if you get a 4k screen or VR, why should you be actively penalised for it over someone that runs some decade-old 1080p monitor? It just doesn't make even the slightest shred of sense.

What he said ^^^ :thumbup:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display