Yaw oscillation without steering input after maneuvering.

bies

2 days ago I had the same issue as Reapers at 5:34 and 8:11.

We did some dogfights on Caucasus multiplayer. When I unload G i had the same oscillation, two times in 10-15 minutes. I tried to recreat it right after it stops but kicking two rudders had weaker effect than this oscillation. I don't know it's a bug or something else so first i posted it here to know someone else opinion.

cheers

Edited by bies

• ED Team

Sorry, but we don't have enough information. I think I've noticed a small stick movement on controls indicator at 5:46. Also there was some movement to the right in the second case. To proper check this situation we need a short track with this issue. Thank you!

I know it's hard to track down without a track, but looks like it's some FCS logic issue, in Reapers video i can see both rudders are moving left and right, not ailerons or elevators.

I'll try to recreate it and make a track.

Are you using rudder pedals or a Z axis on stick?

In GR, he uses Z axis but with pedals, I never saw this issue.

If you can make a track, make sure to check your controls position, might be a spike in your Z...

BR

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

I've tried a few times but i wasn't able to recreate this issue, i'm going to forget about that for now, especially because it's a small issue after all.

I use pedals but of high quality without any spikes and even when i tried to manually oscilate with pedals right after that issue stopped the amount of movement was far smaller then this oscilation. It has probably something to do with maneuvering or high G turning because in Reapers video he had the same issue in the same situation like my, also two times and also right after high G turns. Maybe FCS is trying to stabilise the flight in yaw axis in certain conditions overcompensating using max rudder deflection? Nevermind, there is no point debating without the track.

cheers

Edited by bies

• ED Team

Hi all

I have seen this clip, as mentioned we would need more information, a track replay would be best.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I like it, it looks funny.

Here's a really short track. Bonus points: I am blacked out while the wobble is occurring, so control inputs are impossible. Replication instructions:

Be very low fuel.

Pull G in any direction

Do a roll and maintain a small amount of AoA.

Stop rolling suddenly and center pedals. The goal is to get a little sideslip while you stop rolling as if you were going to snap roll.

Be between 375-425 kts and keep it there.

This track is a really short example, but you can keep it going for as long as the conditions are maintained. The exact conditions are different depending on your loadout and fuel state.

This is not just for yaw, BTW. At low fuel state the plane porpoises on it's own, too. The FCS gain is too high for the CoG and intertia moment and the plane overcorrects for everything, like it's on springs. When heavy, the opposite is true and the controls feel mushy.

Video if track not work:

wobble.trk

Edited by Preendog

Here is a slightly longer track of the oscillations I was able to induce. I find that I was in the same parameters as Preendog said, except I didn't use any rudder input to induce the oscillations. In fact, I didn't use any rudder at all. As you'll also see near the end of the track, I was able to induce and maintain (for a surprisingly long time) an oscillation while also in a turn. As long as I was going about M0.6-0.7 in the turn at ~7.5 Gs, I could probably have maintained that oscillation until I ran out of fuel. Hopefully this helps diagnose the issue.

TwerkingHornet.trk

I like it, it looks funny.

Here's a really short track. Bonus points: I am blacked out while the wobble is occurring, so control inputs are impossible. Replication instructions:

Be very low fuel.

Pull G in any direction

Do a roll and maintain a small amount of AoA.

Stop rolling suddenly and center pedals. The goal is to get a little sideslip while you stop rolling as if you were going to snap roll.

Be between 375-425 kts and keep it there.

This track is a really short example, but you can keep it going for as long as the conditions are maintained. The exact conditions are different depending on your loadout and fuel state.

This is not just for yaw, BTW. At low fuel state the plane porpoises on it's own, too. The FCS gain is too high for the CoG and intertia moment and the plane overcorrects for everything, like it's on springs. When heavy, the opposite is true and the controls feel mushy.

Video if track not work:

This update stuff is driving me nuts. First, I know exactly what this oscillation looks like, it's been there on and off since the initial release. Looks like absolutely no yaw dampening but guess what...

I just updated to newest hotfix (10/21) and created a new simple mission just to test this again. I had 2.4 fuel, clean config. I put this thing through the wringer, yanking and banking, loaded rolls with rudder and no rudder input and every time I let go of the stick the yaw got dampened within 1 oscillation. Go figure...

Don't mean to bump the thread with no additional info, but I do want to make sure that the developers see this. These oscillations are still an issue and particularly pop up when forced to engage in air combat near the end of a mission when lower on fuel, and as a result, weight. If you need more examples with track replays, I can produce more.

I feel like calling Pax or Dryden Center lol... this is probably not classified. They must have done some tests with less then 2.0 fuel and will eagerly share the results.:D

On a serious note, I need to do search before running my mouth. I remember seeing crapload of NASA articles related to high alpha testing of an early FA18 model many years ago. If this stuff is still there it might give us some clues but then... when you really think about the way it happens in DCS... I don't think it's a feature.

Guys remember we gotta get hard data that shows the plane doesn't actually do that. Maybe it is a feature.

The data must be official and credible, but not the first result on google because that one's classified.

The devs still haven't even acknowledged our tracks. As soon as they do that and confirm whether the oscillation is their intention or not, I'll be willing to look for information.

• 4 years later...

I have a replay track with this exact wobble.

I watched the video from Grim Reapers and what I see is that we both had flaps set to half.

I managed to extract and recompress the contents of the trackfile to make it fit.

thegulf-20240306-220326.7z

Edited by tribbin
Added video, added context about half-flaps.

RiftS • RX5950XT • 5800X3D • 64GB
F-86 • F-5E • F-16C • F/A-18C • P-51D • UH-1H • L-39 • MiG-15 • MiG-21
Supercarrier • Syria
 • PG • Sinai • Nevada

Screw the Christian Eagle II

This wobbling seems to have become much more violent (seems to have a pitch component now, rather than just yaw previously) since the latest FM update.

ill try and get a track next time, but for me it seems to be triggered by flying through the wake of another aircraft while in bfm with wake turbulence turned on.

Edited by Kula66

How do we get the attention of the devs? How do we know they even know about this?

• Like 1

Supercarrier • Syria
 • PG • Sinai • Nevada

• ED Team
On 3/8/2024 at 3:56 PM, tribbin said:

How do we get the attention of the devs? How do we know they even know about this?

Hi, we have already commented in the thread, if you are seeing an issue please attach short track replay examples. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

24 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, we have already commented in the thread, if you are seeing an issue please attach short track replay examples. 

Kula66 posted a 1MB track file: https://forum.dcs.world/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=372740&key=32024898aea3b03c7bf7cc2fd0b900c3

Supercarrier • Syria
 • PG • Sinai • Nevada

On 3/9/2024 at 6:13 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi @BIGNEWY was the track and video useful? Were the devs able to review it ok? Did it demonstrate the issue? If you need other tracks, please let me know, this can be reproduced fairly reliably. 

• BIGNEWY changed the title to Yaw oscillation without steering input after maneuvering.
  • ED Team

I am going to ask you all to be patient and retest after the next patch which will include some other flight model tweaks, 

When I test I am not seeing the wobble as shown in the videos or track internally. 

Tested with a light aircraft as above. 

Please use a simple mission like this if you are going to do more examples, and feel free to add new tracks below using the miz attached

wobble test.miz

• Like 2