The "perfect" case I recovery

Bazmack

Does anyone know of a video showing the cockpit view including the controls movement (RCtrl + Enter) of a "perfect" case I recovery on the numbers?

I have watched lots of videos (Waggs, Jabbers, redKite etc) and read guides but not many have included the controls movements.

If not would anyone want to MAKE The "perfect" case I recovery video for me :) and be forever known as The Master?!

It would be hard to make a "perfect" pass because of the amount of factors involved. Is there turbulence? What kind of HOTAS (bit precision is important) is the player using? What's the aircraft's returning gross weight? There's too many variables in play to use as a template to try and replicate.

In my opinion, as long as you fly the numbers, keep the ball center, watch your lineup, and catch a 3-wire, you're good to go. You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone able to consistently get an OK Underline recovery.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

It would be hard to make a "perfect" pass because of the amount of factors involved. Is there turbulence? What kind of HOTAS (bit precision is important) is the player using? What's the aircraft's returning gross weight? There's too many variables in play to use as a template to try and replicate.

In my opinion, as long as you fly the numbers, keep the ball center, watch your lineup, and catch a 3-wire, you're good to go. You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone able to consistently get an OK Underline recovery.

Yep, I agree. Real world ops want you to land safely. Those numbers throughout the recovery are benchmarks to hit so you have the best opportunity to be safe. Way to many variables to nail it perfectly and that is not normal or even close to real.

I honestly think you're approaching the Case 1 with the wrong mentality. You shouldn't be aiming to replicate anybody's control movements. Like has already been mentioned, there are just too many variables involved.

Also, the perfect Case I video already exists, in my opinion:

It's up to you to hone your own technique. Focus on the numbers first. Level break, 600 on downwind, 450 at the 90, 325-375 at the 45 to roll out with a centered ball on the lens. What works for some people may not work for you, and vice versa. I personally never liked using only power for pitch. That's not to say I'm making a lights show with the AOA indexer, but minute adjustments are ok and will always give you more immediate results than turbofan engines (at least until you're in-close and need to be exactly on-speed AOA for the hook to catch a wire).

I honestly think you're approaching the Case 1 with the wrong mentality. You shouldn't be aiming to replicate anybody's control movements. Like has already been mentioned, there are just too many variables involved.

Also, the perfect Case I video already exists, in my opinion:

It's up to you to hone your own technique. Focus on the numbers first. Level break, 600 on downwind, 450 at the 90, 325-375 at the 45 to roll out with a centered ball on the lens. What works for some people may not work for you, and vice versa. I personally never liked using only power for pitch. That's not to say I'm making a lights show with the AOA indexer, but minute adjustments are ok and will always give you more immediate results than turbofan engines (at least until you're in-close and need to be exactly on-speed AOA for the hook to catch a wire).

Wouldn’t call that video perfect just off of his groove length alone. Of course none are perfect. That’s impossible. But there’s a better benchmark than that one.

Wouldn’t call that video perfect just off of his groove length alone. Of course none are perfect. That’s impossible. But there’s a better benchmark than that one.

Someone posted a HUD tape a while back. The guy came in at 600 kts. It's beyond me how he was able to end up in the grove just tiny bit long. He rolled out briefly at 180 then pulled another break and dirtied up past the 90?. I have to find that one.

Someone posted a HUD tape a while back. The guy came in at 600 kts. It's beyond me how he was able to end up in the grove just tiny bit long. He rolled out briefly at 180 then pulled another break and dirtied up past the 90?. I have to find that one.

It's a good one, maybe a little bit slow on break for my taste, I prefer close to 400, and 1.2NM break is kinda too forgiving, but great for beginners.

Someone here wrote that no self respecting pilot would fly a break with speed brake open, I believe that's a bs. It's a tool, use it.

That was C.W. Lemoine, and you have to bear in mind he mostly flew T-38s and F-16s. The Air Force break is an overall tamer maneuver than the carrier break. You enter at 300, roll, and pull while keeping the throttles where they are, using only G to bleed airspeed below 240-250 to drop the gear.

Edited by Chuck_Henry

My downwind is 250kts, I lower gear and flaps in the final break, when over 220kts trim whilst banking, on speed, level out ~170kts in the groove < 1nm from stern, because it can.

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

That was C.W. Lemoine, and you have to bear in mind he mostly flew T-38s and F-16s. The Air Force break is an overall tamer maneuver than the carrier break. You enter at 300, roll, and pull while keeping the throttles where they are, using only G to bleed airspeed below 240-250 to drop the gear.

he flew hornets too though, and I've heard that from other hornet guys as well. And then of course if they fly rhinos, its out of their hands anyway.