Why the urgency to release modules? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #1
Sylosis

Default Why the urgency to release modules?

Is there anyone that has some idea as to why there is that necessity to release modules so early in their development stage?

Is it only a financial thing? Like purely cash flow generation, to help finance the rest of the development? Maybe finding financing for such sim projects is hard to come by, and the only way to be financially viable is to keep pushing modules at a very early stage?

I actually hope this is the reason, and not just greed. The F-16 just got out and from what I was told it's just not fun to fly. Everything is subjective, but it seems there would be no reason for anyone to fly that plane at the moment. So why release it? Most people will pay to buy the newest thing in the store, play a few hours and then put it on a shelf for multiple months, waiting for it to be finished.

I'm not going to even start talking about Razbam who takes a decade to finish a module. At least ED and other developers seem to actually care about making sure the community, who paid for their early access modules get what they paid for in a timely manner.

But I don't know, to me early access release means "unfinished but usable". It might be just me, but I don't see how the F16 is really usable right now?

Anyway, I'm just wondering and opening up the discussion. I'm not bashing on ED or something... Just trying to understand the economic model I guess.

(but true I did bash Razbam, and it was intentional)

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A
Sylosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
twistking

i am also scratching my head about the f-16 release.
if they've waited a month or two, the reception would have been warmer. i can't see how this won't affect sales in the long run.

Last edited by twistking; 10-07-2019 at 05:43 PM.
twistking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
danvac

I just opened multiplayer, checked top ten servers with most players and F-16CM is most flown module...that's does not look like it's not fun to fly.
danvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
zhukov032186

If they release it, people bitch.
If they don't release it, people bitch.

Play the game more, bitch less, imo. Leave market strategy to the relevant people. Don't buy EA if you don't want tovdeal with EA.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
razo+r
Veteran

Well, this is supposed to set their/the worlds new benchmark. Hopefully they ment that in terms of development speed and end quality...
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
USMC_Trev

It takes long term planning to keep an industry on life support, especially when the customer pool is essentially fixed and there's no real competition because of it.

The F-16 is at least as usable as the F/A-18 was on initial EA release.

Thanks for opening up the same discussion that's been opened up dozens of times already, Mr. Trailblazer.

Stapp's Law: The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.

i7 4770K OC'ed to 4.3, GTX 1070 Seahawk (OC'ed), Oculus Rift CV1, 32Gb RAM, 64-bit Windows 10
USMC_Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
mnrty

I have to agree with zhukov. I remember the days where they didn't release modules before they were finished (Nevada), and people didn't take that lightly at all.

If one dosen't want to spend money on early access modules, then by all means don't. But at least I'm happy that they are producing alot of modules, and cant't wait for them all to be complete

OP: the F-16 is very capable, even in it's current state imo. and it will only get better and better
mnrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #8
aileron

Nick Grey sort of answered your question on the Reddit forums about a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Grey
1. without early access we would spend 50% more time and money to engineer the products as developers work better and faster with direct user feedback and when they see their product in the market.
2. we would not be profitable.
3. we would be vulnerable to customer 'fade' as they switch to other products or genres.
4. we would not enjoy the 'right' to imperfection
Also... look at the scope of what they're trying to achieve...

Quote:
... along with other realities we face such as the need for permanent innovation and engine renewal. Boyond daily bug fixing, the fundamental issues such as new graphics challenges (Vulkan, effects, mutli-threading etc), network improvements, sound improvements, new damage engine, dynamic campaign, web RTC, new game statistics engine, new weather engine, etc etc are all part of our roadmap and more than 50% of our staff work on these elements which are not directly module related. Without 'early access' few of the these could be done and yes you are right, we only have this avenue to finance ED as well as my personal investment.
Eye watering.

Last edited by aileron; 10-07-2019 at 06:13 PM.
aileron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #9
mnrty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileron View Post
Nick Grey sort of answered your question on the Reddit forums about a month ago.
+1
mnrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
RaisedByWolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
If they release it, people bitch.
If they don't release it, people bitch.

Play the game more, bitch less, imo. Leave market strategy to the relevant people. Don't buy EA if you don't want tovdeal with EA.

Yep.
RaisedByWolves is offline   Reply With Quote