Nosewheel Steering - Sensitivity slider special options? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 11:36 PM   #11
DucS2r

As Wags mentions in his vid, landing the F-16 is really different from the F-18. I struggled a couple of times with AOA and proper flare for a two wheel touchdown. Didn’t crash, but it wasn’t pretty. Getting the hang of it now. Mainly practice and getting to know the plane (again for me).
DucS2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:53 AM   #12
Frederf
Veteran

Make all NWS (sharp) turns 10 knots or 5 knots heavily-loaded. It's a sports car in the air but a wheelbarrow on the ground. Gear is stiff and narrow. Be slow and patient.

The real rudder pedals are force-sensing just like the stick and pressure for full input is quite high. It's expected that the light spring forces on consumer hardware may result in over control.

There's not much a simulator can do because rudder input to steering output is fixed relative to rudder output. It's not possible to change the relative wheel vs. rudder response for a given pedal input and still be an F-16 simulator.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #13
Deano87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
The real rudder pedals are force-sensing just like the stick and pressure for full input is quite high. It's expected that the light spring forces on consumer hardware may result in over control..
Oh that’s interesting! So they don’t move just like the stick? I notice the rudder pedals in the cockpit look rather odd when they move.

Proud owner of:
PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs : 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.
My Screenshots
Deano87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:30 AM   #14
MTFDarkEagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano87 View Post
A clean viper should be able to taxi at idle. That’s realistic.
Even more so, if you're clean you need to brake a lot to not overspeed ;-)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #15
Haukka81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
Make all NWS (sharp) turns 10 knots or 5 knots heavily-loaded. It's a sports car in the air but a wheelbarrow on the ground. Gear is stiff and narrow. Be slow and patient.

The real rudder pedals are force-sensing just like the stick and pressure for full input is quite high. It's expected that the light spring forces on consumer hardware may result in over control.

There's not much a simulator can do because rudder input to steering output is fixed relative to rudder output. It's not possible to change the relative wheel vs. rudder response for a given pedal input and still be an F-16 simulator.

Sorry, but pedals are not force sensing.

-Edit- least i cant find any info about force sensing, only force to required to move em.

Last edited by Haukka81; 10-10-2019 at 07:13 AM. Reason: edit 2
Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #16
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukka81 View Post
Sorry, but pedals are not force sensing...least i cant find any info about force sensing, only force to required to move em.
AFAIK they only 'move' 1/2 inch. Breakout force is 15lbs and max is 100lbs.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #17
Fri13
Veteran

Then they have funny modeling as they turn in cockpit like 30cm either direction when you use pedals.

Difference is that the pedals do not have a twisting so they would stay parallel to each others but it's like one bar that you turn. So when you push pedal forward by 30 degree, then the braking pedal is as well 30 degree to your feet.

It is like designed as bicycle control bar with brake handles.

But it is way too sensitive. It acts like a F-18 steering at high, for carrier deck turns.

My problem is that in landings I can only control aircraft yawn with rudder, until touch down when the authority of rudder lowers quickly by speed. Then comes critical time when I do not have rudder authority almost at all, and braking with left or right pedal does nothing really, but braking with both does start to slow down.

Only way to steer F-16 is to use NWS all after flaring and letting nose wheel touch down at 95-100 knots (IIRC) and it is extremely sensitive all the time. Wouldn't use it for anything else than parking if wheel brakes would be effective to make turns even when taxiing.

Only way really to taxii, control landing and take-off is to use NWS, until the rudder gets enough air speed.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #18
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Only way really to taxii, control landing and take-off is to use NWS, until the rudder gets enough air speed.
That's the correct way

Btw, 100kts for NWS is way too fast IMO.

I've already reported the wrong rudder pedal animation in the bug section.

Last edited by bbrz; 10-10-2019 at 08:26 AM.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #19
Frederf
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano87 View Post
Oh that’s interesting! So they don’t move just like the stick? I notice the rudder pedals in the cockpit look rather odd when they move.
They move a small amount but the sensor that reports pilot input is a force transducer like the stick. There is no cable or other mechanical linkage.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:35 AM   #20
Mouse_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrohde View Post
Never botched a single landing in the 16 and I've been flying her daily since early access release day. She's really easy on the pilot.
I had to laugh at that one, I too felt, wow this is really easy to land, I must be getting pretty good, - then I realized there was no damage model!
Mouse_99 is offline   Reply With Quote