Line select keys

Tango777

No, you can slew your camera view too. Check the control setting for 'view' to see all options, but you will probably solve most of your issues with RCtrl-RShift-NUM4 to slide your cam-view to the left, then press NUM5 to return to normal.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks for the reply.

It is too bad that the designers of the cockpit made the UFC to protrude so far towards the pilot. I wish it was designed like the F-18.

i7-13700F - 32GB DDR5 RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060Ti 16GB - 2TB NVMe SSD - Windows 11

I think the designer of the cockpit assumed that the pilots will be healthy young women and men who have no issues with leaning over a few inches to read instruments ;)

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Wouldn't that reduce situational awareness because instead of just moving your eyeballs up and down you have to move your eyeballs and your head simultaneously?

i7-13700F - 32GB DDR5 RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060Ti 16GB - 2TB NVMe SSD - Windows 11

Its a non issue in VR. So presumably not IRL either.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Would it be a good idea to mention in the AV-8's description that VR or head tracking software is highly recommended?

Tango,

DCS is a simulation. VR/Head Tracking as well as a good HOTAS is needed for this game. If your a WASD + Mouse user, this simulation is not for you. Sorry.

Don't you think you're a bit over exaggerating? VR or TiR really helps in DCS but are not mandatory to enjoy it.

Is the only easy way to view the LSKs that are obstructed by the Harrier's UFC panel is to have Track IR or something equivalent to that?

In reality the pilot doesn't have to reach his hand to a mouse and then move it to click on the button. In other words this "double interface" is gone. It's just enough to build up a muscle memory. I'm sure you're able to reach a gear stick in your car without taking your eyes from the road. Now think about driving a car in a sim where you have to click and drag gear stick with a mouse every time you want to change a gear.

EDIT: If it's such a big issue try to map the keys to a keyboard. Another idea could be to setup a screens so that you don't have to click on the inside buttons - for instance the HSI on the right screen heaving the most often clicked next/prev way-point buttons clearly visible.

Edited by firmek

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I dunno, I went through the whole using quick views on a keyboard, hat on a joystick, trackir, VR progression. There really is no comparing the last 2 options to the first 2 IMO, and really even with its worse res VR beats trackIR IMO. I look forward to next gen HMD's and some sort of "glove" interface for VR, it won't be perfect but it will be pretty close.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I dunno, I went through the whole using quick views on a keyboard, hat on a joystick, trackir, VR progression. There really is no comparing the last 2 options to the first 2 IMO, and really even with its worse res VR beats trackIR IMO. I look forward to next gen HMD's and some sort of "glove" interface for VR, it won't be perfect but it will be pretty close.

The Leap Motion is a direct hand tracking system without using controllers and has been expanded with the Orion API to work with VR systems - Flyinside now support it with their VR addons for various sims and also in their own sim

I'm hoping the VR interface updates ED have spoken about will include adding something simiar to DCS

Edited by Matchstick

Would it be a good idea to mention in the AV-8's description that VR or head tracking software is highly recommended?

Flight simming in general Highly recommends head tracking for the past decade.

I personally would never bother with Trackir, just get a PS3eye camera (grabbed a handful for 50P each from my local GAME shop) grab a trackclip pro or make one if you're so inclined.

Download Opentrack for free, have a few headaches(Less than TIR) and boom you're there, up and running for 30 quid or less, no reason not to.

Don't you think you're a bit over exaggerating? VR or TiR really helps in DCS but are not mandatory to enjoy it.

True, my buddy flew the huey and the A-10 for a while with an XBox Controller, he did buy TrackIR first though so that shows the priorities.

You don't need headtracking, nor a joystick or anything to 'enjoy' thelevel of simulation on your own terms.

You do need those things to fulfil the potential enjoyment you can yield from the increase in ability and competence these devices afford you.

Whilst better joysticks, rudder pedals and other input devices might aid you in flying more smoothly or operating the HOTAS systems and other functions more efficiently and with more fluidity NOTHING compares with the benefits of head tracking.

You gain situational awareness, the ability to operate switches and systems easier and quicker, you gain the use of a hand or other controls that were otherwise bound to view commands which in turn will improve your flying whether on a keyboard or a warthog.

You're offloading the most important and most used commands (looking) equal to or more important than to flight control to a new control system that is the naturally intuitive option.

Whilst not needed per se, whether you use VR, Eye Tracking, or Headtracking it is certainly essential to enjoying the sim or any sim, to its fullest

The Leap Motion is a direct hand tracking system without using controllers and has been expanded with the Orion API to work with VR systems - Flyinside now support it with their VR addons for various sims and also in their own sim

I'm hoping the VR interface updates ED have spoken about will include adding something simiar to DCS

Yeah, I'd like to see leapmotion or an actual working captoglove at some point. Of course its gonna create the problem of how to arrange the hotas so it matches the pit somewhat otherwise your phantom hands on the throttle and stick might be outside of the plane... :music_whistling:.

I personally would never bother with Trackir, just get a PS3eye camera (grabbed a handful for 50P each from my local GAME shop) grab a trackclip pro or make one if you're so inclined.

Download Opentrack for free, have a few headaches(Less than TIR) and boom you're there, up and running for 30 quid or less, no reason not to.

True, my buddy flew the huey and the A-10 for a while with an XBox Controller, he did buy TrackIR first though so that shows the priorities.

You don't need headtracking, nor a joystick or anything to 'enjoy' thelevel of simulation on your own terms.

You do need those things to fulfil the potential enjoyment you can yield from the increase in ability and competence these devices afford you.

Whilst better joysticks, rudder pedals and other input devices might aid you in flying more smoothly or operating the HOTAS systems and other functions more efficiently and with more fluidity NOTHING compares with the benefits of head tracking.

You gain situational awareness, the ability to operate switches and systems easier and quicker, you gain the use of a hand or other controls that were otherwise bound to view commands which in turn will improve your flying whether on a keyboard or a warthog.

You're offloading the most important and most used commands (looking) equal to or more important than to flight control to a new control system that is the naturally intuitive option.

Whilst not needed per se, whether you use VR, Eye Tracking, or Headtracking it is certainly essential to enjoying the sim or any sim, to its fullest

I totally agree, you can play the game with a keyboard and mouse if you have to I suppose. But head-tracking dramatically reduces your workload since it "automates" looking around. VR does it even better, since you retain 1:1 spatial relationships better than TIR, plus you get depth perception. The only real current downside to VR is the low res problem, that hopefully gets solved with gen2 and gen3 headsets. But honestly, using the "dots" or other labels with VR works pretty well, though the airquake servers of course don't allow their use. It would be nice to allow them for VR but not flat screeners IMO.

Thank you. I will try the PS3eye camera route.

Thank you. I will try the PS3eye camera route.

Use CLEYE for your drivers.

For the visible light filter either grab some floppy disks, exposed film negative or even 3d glasses lenses and that can act as a filter, layer that in front of the camera and fiddle settings until you only get your trackclip LEDs showing up.

Be sure your cameras physical zoom is set to the wider FOV 75° (the blue dot).

Some PS3Eyes have an easily removal IR filter, google instructions and model numbers to look out for, don't worry if yours isn't removable as it'll still work very well.

Best of luck with the journey dude, absolutely welcome to PM me if you have any troubles.