hover stop

chaser

The trick is mostly practice, I'd say. I don't quite get to a proper stopped hover often enough when I'm in a hurry, so my advice is:

Don't rush it, take some time.

'Proper' hovering is a little similar to in-flight refuelling in that regard.

hover stop

For me it’s the slow transition/adjustment of everything (nozzle, witch hat, VVI, throttle). Trimming helps quite a bit, and putting heavy curve on your stick 20-25 also helps. It’s the same concept as formation flying and AAR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I transition from 60 to either 80 or 82 depending on if I'm amphibious or land based. Prior to doing this you want to to have your jet trimmed well for level flight, which is constant. Flaps to STOL of course and make sure you are under your hover weight.

Practice practice practice. Empty jet with half fuel and just hover around until you get the hang of it.

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Like others have said... TRIM!!! cant over emphasize this enough... here is a video of me coming into the LHA... Its not picture perfect but you get the idea. (also I am working on my resolution to get the recording better)...

I run a 12 on my WH curve with no dead zone.

Incredible, I wish that I could land like this in a near future, I need to practice more and your video will help me.

Sent from my Tornado IDS while on autopilot using Tapatalk Pro.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Like others have said... TRIM!!! cant over emphasize this enough... here is a video of me coming into the LHA... Its not picture perfect but you get the idea. (also I am working on my resolution to get the recording better)...

Nice work :thumbup:

okay jealous now :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks guys... Its really just building blocks and practice... I have gotten several new members able to get to this point in a few flights with practice and how I step them up to it...

Building blocks..

overhead break and approach trying to get it the same every time..

fly the pattern with 60 nozzles and hold that all the way to the boat. Fly through the hover stop and do a wave off the first few times..

Set your STO stop for 80-81 on the nozzles so you can slap it into that angle and not have to fidget with it...

Several things help me in this video...

One... LHA is moving into the wind...

two.. there is wind...lol..

Three... TRIM TRIM TRIM...

Trying to do this with no headwind or LHA movement does make it harder... If you're going to practice this I would recommend setting it up that way. This is on our CSG server so its a constant for us that makes it easier.

If you have questions shoot me a message or hit us up on Discord... We are always looking for dedicated Harrier pilots.

Thanks guys... Its really just building blocks and practice... I have gotten several new members able to get to this point in a few flights with practice and how I step them up to it...

Building blocks..

overhead break and approach trying to get it the same every time..

fly the pattern with 60 nozzles and hold that all the way to the boat. Fly through the hover stop and do a wave off the first few times..

Set your STO stop for 80-81 on the nozzles so you can slap it into that angle and not have to fidget with it...

Several things help me in this video...

One... LHA is moving into the wind...

two.. there is wind...lol..

Three... TRIM TRIM TRIM...

Trying to do this with no headwind or LHA movement does make it harder... If you're going to practice this I would recommend setting it up that way. This is on our CSG server so its a constant for us that makes it easier.

If you have questions shoot me a message or hit us up on Discord... We are always looking for dedicated Harrier pilots.

Thanks

ill have a go :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

okay so i have taken everyone advise and sent a fair few house on case 1 recoveries and hover stop, which is getting better and better to the point that I can potion the Av8b in formation with the carrier, but then that's where it all falls apart as any little input on the stick to the right ( moving over the carrier) the Av8b starts to swing and I cant recover

Id be grateful for any help and advise

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

okay so i have taken everyone advise and sent a fair few house on case 1 recoveries and hover stop, which is getting better and better to the point that I can potion the Av8b in formation with the carrier, but then that's where it all falls apart as any little input on the stick to the right ( moving over the carrier) the Av8b starts to swing and I cant recover

Id be grateful for any help and advise

Be assertive and snatch it, don't Richard about and don't be afraid to slap it around when it gets out of line!

You're going from wingbourne flight so right on the edge of stall speed bits of wing/the one with more air will generate more lift and unsettle you, you've made it over that and that requires delicate smooth corrections.

Now you're going jetbourne where there's no lift on the wings, the aircraft handles a lot more like a pendulum* and is very VERY sensitive to Pilot Induced Oscillation, which is made worse by...? Smooth delicate corrections :P

(*Inverted pendulum)

When you feel that wobble snap out of it, interrupt the rhythm... SLAP IT.

You're now riding a pillar of vast amounts of thrust and you're controlling the angle of that pillar by changing the attitude of your aircraft through use of the puffer jets on the wingtips, nose and tail.

Commit to the maneuver, be assertive with your corrections and you'll get the feel for it soon enough :)

Try to use the tramline to spot for your correction.

Right stick, get it moving.

Then level, slide it right.

Give it firm left stick to stop the slide on the tram line

Assertive, sharp corrections don't let it run away from you

Commit to the descent and bring it down on the tramline

Best of luck.

Edited by Sadist_Cain

@Eldur - Always gets me in trouble at that moment of STO stop transition.

Thanks from myself to all ppl giving hints. My carrier landings are getting better.

Now I set the nozzle stop at 82 ish and never touch it. Transitioning to abeam needs work. I'm always high or low. Yeah, thank god for wind! ARBS figures it out well enough. I'm still diggin into the rudder thru the 90. I end up putting in too much yaw and loose the AOA.

And now we have permission to slap it around! :thumbup: She obviously does not like to play nice.

And thanks to the guy who thought it would be cool to flop a big 'ol OCD trigger with adjusting the Engine power at the lower end. Mah throttle is naught rite. :joystick:

Gigabyte Tech. 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, 16 Gig RAM @ 2200 Mhz, Radeon X480, Oculus Rift