[NOT A BUG] Absolute Radar Elevation Axis Control

Parkbank

Im not sure if this is intended as it seems to be so contrary to what all other modules use.

Setting F18 radar elevatoin to Axis control does following:

- Moving the axis out of middle position the elevation will start to go up or down respectively

- the further you are away from the middle position the faster the elevation change happens (like a gas pedal)

- elevation change only stops when axis is returned to neutral position

This behaviour is really really strange and makes the axis command almost unusable.

It would be better to do it like in pretty much every other module that has a radar elevation axis:

- Neutral position is also the neutral (elevation 0°) of the radar antenna

- etc.

Give the Axis absolute values corresponding with the elevation.

Current implementation is almost unusable.

This is how it works in the real jet, only difference is that the wheel on the Hornet is spring loaded to the centre position so when you let go it returns to centre and stops it moving.

+1 I would also like to see absolute mapping to the axis but since radar elevaton has just stopped working completely with the latest update I think ED have bigger priorities lol.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

This is how it works in the real jet, only difference is that the wheel on the Hornet is spring loaded to the centre position so when you let go it returns to centre and stops it moving.

That means, that you can only temporarily change the elevation? Sounds tedious ...

+1 I would also like to see absolute mapping to the axis but since radar elevaton has just stopped working completely with the latest update I think ED have bigger priorities lol.

+1

As probably only 0.000001% of all sim pilots have a control setup that supports such a configuration, this current design is virtually unusable for the rest of us. :noexpression:

That means, that you can only temporarily change the elevation? Sounds tedious ...

No because it's relative, not absolute - you can see how it would work by assigning something like your joystick Y axis to it. You move the axis 5% and it'll slowly increase/decrease the elevation, let go and your joystick will return to centre and the elevation will stop moving.

It's realistic right now, but annoying because there's no natural controls for it on the vast majority of controllers. Personally I'd love to map it to the pinky wheel on the TWCS, so +1 for an option for an absolute axis...

Agreed backspace!

Mix this "not a bug"-report with how controls now reacts for, let's say the APU where you with a WH throttle two-position flip switch still requires to do a flip up and down physically to get a single flip up or down in-game and you quickly end up in a equation where potato != potato ;)

(I don't mean the initial not-knowing-what-position-the-switch-is-in "issue", it's a constant thing that's repeatable during a the whole flight and applies to any two-way switch in combination with APU, hook down, radar/baro-alt and all kinds on switch mappings)

Consistency might be a good thing here.

Edited by TheBamse

Waypoints and Navigation

When I put in waypoints for a bomb target it allways changes to a different Lat long. any help?

Thrustmaster A10 Warthog

Thrustmaster Rudder

Naturalpoint TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro

ACPI x64 PC

Corsair K70 RGB LUX

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

Intel i7-8700K@3.70GHz

GeFORCE GTX 1080 Ti

16GB DDR4 Corsair 3000 C15

Pretty Pretty Pretty please don't change this.

READ the thread. We are asking for options to have it one way or another. I don’t think anybody wants to remove the current functionality.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

+1!!

the current setting works if you assign it to the slew control I suppose, but an option to have it assigned to sliders is absolutely needed

the way it currently works, you're better off assigning radar elevation to something like the boat switch than burning a spring loaded axis with it. the only difference of having it assigned to an axis instead of buttons is that you can change the speed that the elevation arrow moves, it's a waste.

if you had the option to control it with an absolute axis, then you could assign it to the friction slider on the WH which is pretty much useless for the hornet, and have a proper behaviour for it

Edited by fael097

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

• 2 months later...

Yes an absolute axis mapping option would be appreciated.

Proud owner of:

• 5 months later...

so this was completely ignored.

still hoping though

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

Thrustmaster completely failed to make that additional, unrealistic thumbwheel thing an encoder on their Hornet grip. That with an option to make the axis act like buttons (well, could be done with scripting anyway, but some easy way like provided with the MFG Crosswind pedals would be WTG) would totally have nailed it.

Just my 2¢...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I'm guessing ED is not making an absolute axis option because there is none in the real aircraft.

And the point people have been making is that there should be, because the PC hardware we need to use doesn't have the appropriate functionality to match the real aircraft.

And the point people have been making is that there should be, because the PC hardware we need to use doesn't have the appropriate functionality to match the real aircraft.

You don't have any up/down hat on your stick or throttle at all?

The reason for this request was clearly covered in the first 2 posts, and isn't difficult to understand.

I understand it, doesn't mean I agree. If you don't have a spring loaded axis, bind it to an up/down hat like the rest of people.

If the reason for not adding an absolute axis option is realism then buttons and the unrealistic TDC slew should be removed.

Not at all. The buttons and unrealistic slew don't add any new capabilities the aircraft doesn't have. There is no absolute antenna elevation control in the real aircraft, so either you use regular buttons or an axis that is spring loaded to center.

Either way it's an odd hill to die on, let's see what ED says.