totally screwed up controls - HELPPPPP!!!!!! - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
lesthegrngo

Default totally screwed up controls - HELPPPPP!!!!!!

So, I have been trying to get on top of DCS A-10C, and am doing the training sessions. I was finding the flying hard, struggling to keep control in what I thought was simple situations.

I have the Warthog stick and HOTAS, plus the Saitek Pro-Flight pedals, and a quick check of the controls seemed to show everything was in order. However I started doubting it when I tried using the toe brakes on the pedals, no matter how many times I tried to assign them I couldn't get them to work. I also found that using the rudder pedals seemed to give me problems, and were inconsistent

At the suggestion of one of my friends, I used exterior view to see what the control inputs were doing, and saw immediately that the toe brakes were actually operating the ailerons, but only if they were pressed together. further investigation showed that for instance no matter how many times I tried to select the right HOTAS throttle lever to control, yes the right throttle, I could not assign it.

So how come it's screwed up so badly? And why does the control assignation panel not allow me to choose the correct axis / button?

It seems that I cannot separate the controls, is there a way to redefine everything to get it back as it should be?

Cheers

Les
lesthegrngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
feefifofum
3rd Party Developer

Delete c:/users/USERNAME/saved games/dcs.whatever/config/input/a-10c

This will restore the default settings. The open the control window, select a-10c -> axis commands, click on the column containing your rudder pedals, then click the "clear category" button to remove the default assignments which will put pitch/roll on your toe brakes.

You can then manually bind the left and right toe brakes and rudder and you'll be good to go. You may need to invert the toe brake axis, do this by selecting the toe brake axis, clicking the "axis tune" button and checking the "invert" option.

Last edited by feefifofum; 09-14-2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: speeling
feefifofum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
lesthegrngo

Thanks, will give that a go!

Cheers

Les
Old 09-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
lesthegrngo

Strange, the file doesn't exist

in the /config folder, there is nothing at all. In fact, checking on the files in the USER folder, there seems to be nothing that has modified today anywhere in it

Any other potential locations?

*****EDIT*****

all the control input devices are connected via a USB hub, does this make a difference to how they are perceived by the PC?

Cheers

Les

Last edited by lesthegrngo; 09-14-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #5
Greyman

when DCS finds a new module it will often, if not always, assign multiple controller axes to the same command, so for example, your rudder, pitch, yaw and throttle controls will have the joystick, the throttle and the rudder pedals all assigned to them.

Just go into the controller setup / axis commands and clear all of the assignments that you don't need, so that you just have, for example, only the pedals controlling the rudder and only the stick controlling the roll and pitch.

The aircraft, whatever it is, should then become infinitely more easy to control
Greyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:12 AM   #6
eaglecash867

I have the Saitek pedals too. So, you have clicked on left brake, clicked "axis assign", and then pushed on the left toe brake, and it doesn't recognize the input? If its recognizing the input for the toe brake, the next thing you'll need to do is click on "axis tune" for that axis and put a check mark in the "invert" box. If you don't have the "invert" box checked with the Saitek pedals, your toe brakes will be on all the time and only release when you press them down.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, ZOTAC GTX1080Ti AMP Extreme 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, and Oculus Rift CV1.

Last edited by eaglecash867; 09-15-2018 at 01:18 AM.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:48 AM   #7
David OC

These days when binding my controls, I just go to the options, switch to the axis and clear the ones I don't want set.

You can move your pedals, toe brakes, joystick etc and see them moving when just looking at the menu axis page. (A little line moves under the control when you move it around)

If you see the control moving in two spots, it's not set right and just clear the one set you don't want.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3466Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | Fractal Design R5 Case

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:28 AM   #8
cichlidfan
Veteran

If you change the port that the controller is connected to it will change the controller ID to DCS and will mess up your settings. Also, IMHO, you should delete every setting for a new aircraft and set each and every control to you liking.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #9
lesthegrngo

I cleared the controller settings for the roll, pitch, rudder and brakes, and then went back in and re entered them.

As before, when I use the toe brakes, it operates the ailerons. Doing some more diagnostics, it seems that the DCS is recognising the toe brakes on the Saitek pedals as the same controller as the Warthog roll axis, i.e. both controls are 'seen' by the PC as Joy X axis.

Windows shows each controller as a separate entity, and checking them using DIView also shows them as being recognised as different inputs. It seems it is only DCS that is getting confused!

The result is that I cannot use the pedals, which is a bit of a bummer as I bought them exactly for that. Is this specific to my installation, or am I missing some drivers or patch?

Cheers

Les
Old 09-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
Greyman

Forgive me for asking, but is it the ailerons that are moving and not the speed brakes, as they are the same control surfaces on the A10?

Check that you have the toe brakes on your pedals assigned to their respective wheel brakes and not the speed brakes.
Greyman is online now   Reply With Quote