Trim? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #21
fencible

I agree with RudderButt - I put on a few turns of flap when cruising to keep the nose from wanting to drop. Why not? Easier to aim the guns, too, without fighting to keep the nose up. Somebody said that this is seat-of-the-pants flying. WWII P-40 ace, Stocky Edwards, used his own tricks to smooth out some of the bad handling characteristics of his ride while dueling with Me-109Fs. Worked for him. He survived.

I think that the 4 machine guns seem a bit too powerful, though. They're only .30 calibre guns, but they seem to be more effective than the 6X .50 calibre guns in a P51D!
Yes, they have a high rate of fire, and they are concentrated in a fairly tight group, but they tear up a FW-190D9 like they were cannons or at least .50s. Is this a compensation to make the module more acceptable?

Last edited by fencible; 05-12-2019 at 02:12 PM.
fencible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #22
ACG_IronJockel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev2go View Post

Besides to address the hypocritical "reality" response, neither is it realistic to have checkbox to use "auto rudder" for l16, so I don't see why there can't be a
" adjustable or auto Trim" checkbox in the main menu.

Auto rudder is for people that don't have paddles, to ease up on take off, as twist sticks may not be precise enough to deal with engine toque appropriately, what could make the aircraft unusable for some customers.
It does not add a control feature that the plane did not have, unlike an auto trim features, which is something you may find in more modern aircraft.
Auto trim would also make it easier to aim than it actually was. I don't think that this aircraft should have some kind of advantage, that it simply didn't have for the sake of user-friendliness.

I16 pilots were completely exhausted after patrols, as staying in formation without trim required them to constantly apply force to the stick. It was a serious drawback of the aircraft.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #23
Sydy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACG_IronJockel View Post
Auto rudder is for people that don't have paddles, to ease up on take off, as twist sticks may not be precise enough to deal with engine toque appropriately, what could make the aircraft unusable for some customers.
It does not add a control feature that the plane did not have, unlike an auto trim features, which is something you may find in more modern aircraft.
Auto trim would also make it easier to aim than it actually was. I don't think that this aircraft should have some kind of advantage, that it simply didn't have for the sake of user-friendliness.

I16 pilots were completely exhausted after patrols, as staying in formation without trim required them to constantly apply force to the stick. It was a serious drawback of the aircraft.
Very wise post, IronJockel. very wise.

When I see people asking for “auto trim” in a pre WWII aircraft, I really read it as here it is “a whining gamer” instead of a “serious simmer”. I apologize for being so direct, but I see no sense to fly the DCS I-16 asking for some “artificial filter” for the flying quality although I do understand the “auto rudder”. Go fly IL-2 or War Thunder for that matter.

Anyway, nobody is forced to fly anything in a certain way. I know I loved it the way it is and I’m having fun. Looking forward to see a campaign in it and some more documentation.

All the best,

Sydy
Sydy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #24
Kev2go

The point of swimming is still to have fun. If anything I think it's the serious simmers that need pull that stick out of their rears and realize this is still a virtual game and not real life.

If other modules have functions added to ease certain functions then I don't see why this one cant.

A simple checkbox is the solution other modules have done this. Therefore then there is a choice. For both types.

Hardcore simmers can "tire" themselves out if they want applying force on the stick to compensate for lack of trim. And no adjustable trim isn't only in modern aircraft. It's there in the ww2 built fighters, but I guess they want everyone to suffer the same way.( on your high horse anyone?)

But whatever I learned my lesson. Don't buy a module until someone's made a review to avoid any surprise. because this certainly wasn't a disclaimer listed on the purchasing page

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Noctua NH14S cooler),Crucial Ballistix DDR4 16gb ram (2400 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 512 gb SSD

Last edited by Kev2go; 05-13-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Kev2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #25
Kev2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydy View Post
Very wise post, IronJockel. very wise.

When I see people asking for “auto trim” in a pre WWII aircraft, I really read it as here it is “a whining gamer” instead of a “serious simmer”. I apologize for being so direct, but I see no sense to fly the DCS I-16 asking for some “artificial filter” for the flying quality although I do understand the “auto rudder”. Go fly IL-2 or War Thunder for that matter.

Anyway, nobody is forced to fly anything in a certain way. I know I loved it the way it is and I’m having fun. Looking forward to see a campaign in it and some more documentation.

All the best,

Sydy
Considering there are no era appropriate opponents there really is no point in serious combat flying in i16 besides free flights or aerobatics at the moment.

And you shouldn't presume who isn't a serious simmer or not.

Because it's all on a spectrum. I've flown everything from ww2 to modern era without complaint so far. Because I was informed on features( or lack thereof) and because they all met my expectations

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Noctua NH14S cooler),Crucial Ballistix DDR4 16gb ram (2400 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 512 gb SSD

Last edited by Kev2go; 05-13-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Kev2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #26
LeCuvier

If one day Octopus adds a Game mode then these "user-friendliness" features would be well placed there. But they have no legitimate place in a simulation. This bird is tough to fly, and in the absence of technical complexities that's what makes it interesting.
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5
LeCuvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #27
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev2go View Post
because this certainly wasn't a disclaimer listed on the purchasing page
I don't think "this aircraft features no trim" should be in any disclaimer mate, it's a well known fact for the model and for any aviation enthusiast out there and we have seen in other simulators since like 20 years ago. What disclaimer do you need? The model is what it is, they modelled how it is. That's all.

DISCLAIMER, THIS MODULE IS TRUE TO REAL LIFE MODEL .

S!
Old 05-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #28
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBelt View Post
Hey 2 of those levers re-cock the guns when the Mosin-Nagant rounds jamb the guns.
you have actualy 4 handles for recoking mgs in i-16
2 for wings mgs and 2 for fuselage mgs
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #29
Balzarog

Location: The Democratic People's Republic of Massachusetts, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS_Sniper View Post
You don't fly around with flaps deployed if you want to do it right
And you know this from what quoted historical source? Military pilots of WWII era always found ways to make their jobs easier, even though it was not the “required method.” I remember reading an account of U.S. Marine and Navy pilots in the Buffalo or Wildcat not cranking down the gear in the specified manner. Instead of cranking, they would unlock the gear, start to crank it down, and then rock the plane from side to side to allow gravity and inertia to lower the gear. Strictly unauthorized, but much faster. How do you know that Soviet pilots didn’t use similar unauthorized methods to easy their flight?

Also this aircraft had ground adjustable trim tabs in the elevator and ailerons that were set to fly straight and level at a specific true airspeed, exactly the same as the Bf-109 and the Fw-190.

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 3.7 Ghz CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift C2.

Last edited by Balzarog; 05-14-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Correction
Balzarog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #30
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBelt View Post
Hey 2 of those levers re-cock the guns when the Mosin-Nagant rounds jamb the guns.
Indeed it's exactly the same calibre but you couldn't use Mosin-Nagant ammo on these weapons, or these weapons ammo in a Mosin. Using rifle ammo wouldn't make Shkas machine guns work as it needs a special ammo to achieve it's high ROF, on the other hand using Shkas ammo in a Mosin-Nagant would make the chamber explode.

S!