Trim? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #11
BSS_Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev2go View Post
So i started to suspect.....

Make it pain having to constantly compensate the stick and never taking hands off because itl just nose dive straight down.

IF so thats a real dealbreaker

Yes, realism is a real deal breaker...
Old 05-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
BSS_Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudderButt View Post
I spent almost 5 hours in this bird last night and found that if you're wanting to fly straight and level you need only dial in the correct amount of flaps for a given power setting to keep the VSI needle perfectly on 0. Not having rudder or aileron trim does, however, mean that you have to keep your hand on the stick at all times to prevent uncommanded roll. If you're going to deploy flaps to compensate for lack of elevator trim don't forget to add power during your turns though!

You don't fly around with flaps deployed if you want to do it right
Old 05-11-2019, 01:41 AM   #13
Kev2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS_Sniper View Post
Yes, realism is a real deal breaker...

yes if i had known this prior to buying, i would have held off given its price point.

I have certain checkboxes of what i expect. I simply dont fly what i dont like. lack of such a feature doesn't suit me and is a dealbreaker for me.which is a shame otherwise because i16 would have been a blast to fly as it was in IL2 and in WT. ( didnt have to deal with trim)

Besides to address the hypocritical "reality" response, neither is it realistic to have checkbox to use "auto rudder" for l16 so i dont see why there cant be a
" adjustable Trim" checkbox in the main menu.

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Noctua NH14S cooler),Crucial Ballistix DDR4 16gb ram (2400 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 512 gb SSD

Last edited by Kev2go; 05-13-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Kev2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:43 AM   #14
Kev2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudderButt View Post
I spent almost 5 hours in this bird last night and found that if you're wanting to fly straight and level you need only dial in the correct amount of flaps for a given power setting to keep the VSI needle perfectly on 0. Not having rudder or aileron trim does, however, mean that you have to keep your hand on the stick at all times to prevent uncommanded roll. If you're going to deploy flaps to compensate for lack of elevator trim don't forget to add power during your turns though!
i haven't though of that thanks, will give it a try. though whats the speed that you need to have them folded? Wouldn't they rip past a certain speed?

Build:

Spoiler:

Windows 10 64 bit,

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z370- E Motherboard, Intel Core i7 8700k ( Noctua NH14S cooler),Crucial Ballistix DDR4 16gb ram (2400 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia Gtx 1080 8gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; WD 1TB HDD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 512 gb SSD

Last edited by Kev2go; 05-11-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Kev2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:45 PM   #15
RudderButt

You're welcome! That's a terrific question that I don't know the answer to yet. I need to experiment to test both the airframe's limits and the quality of the damage model. However, if you deploy the flaps first, say 10 degrees at a time, and then set the power accordingly I doubt you'll do any damage (vs dropping flaps with everything wide open). The flaps generate a tremendous amount of lift. The empennage being so near to the wings, I would assume the center of gravity is closer to the true center of the airframe. At least that's how it "feels" because the flaps cause it to teeter-totter along the pitch axis much more so than planes with a longer fuselage.

Last edited by RudderButt; 05-11-2019 at 03:48 PM.
RudderButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:16 AM   #16
McShetty

Well it appears you can not deploy the flaps if you're going "fast". Which is fine. I'm just adding info.

For the lack of trim. I don't really mind but it does limit how long I'm willing to fly it.
McShetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:34 AM   #17
XtraChrisP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev2go View Post
... neither is it realistic to have checkbox to use "auto rudder" for l16 so i dont see why there cant be a
" adjustable or auto Trim" checkbox in the main menu.
Good call on the "auto trim" option. I think that's a good compromise between reality and user friendliness. Maybe if enough people ask for it OctopusG will code it in.
XtraChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:52 AM   #18
probad

what are you even flying this airplane for if you cut out every distinctive aspect just because its an inconvenience?
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:14 AM   #19
McShetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
what are you even flying this airplane for if you cut out every distinctive aspect just because its an inconvenience?
Not to be mean but you're implying that everybody should have fun your way only.
McShetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:55 AM   #20
RustBelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by arglmauf View Post
The design doc for the I-16:
  • Engine
  • Wings
  • Some guns
  • (only capitalist dogs need this)
  • At least four more levers than capitalist planes
  • Compass heating

Gotta get your priorities right, tovarish. The I-16 is a very hands on little repurposed lawnmower, you gotta love it for that
Hey 2 of those levers re-cock the guns when the Mosin-Nagant rounds jamb the guns.
RustBelt is online now   Reply With Quote