Looking to buy my first fighter

FireManDan

So I have recently taken up dcs (finally after several years following) and been playing with the a10c. Now I am ready to dive into a fighter. Thinking either the F16 or F14. I guess the F18 is an option but I have always loved the F14 (who hasnt) and if I am going to pick a carrier based plane it will be the F14. My point is, those of you familiar with both, pros and cons? Weapons platform, flight model?

Yes I know 1 is fly by wire and other isnt. I am also very interested in the phoenix missile

Out of all the options you listed, the F-14 is easily the most complete. It still has a few missing bits here and there but nothing so huge that it results in a massive functionality gap that restrict the kind of missions one can use it in.

Both the F/A-18C and the F-16 are quite firmly in early access. The Hornet is certainly further along in some ways but it is still missing quite a bit. Likewise, the F-16 is very limited right now and while both are fun to mess around with, running serious missions with them (where you make the mission specifically to highlight how those aircraft might be used) will reveal functionality gaps and that is worth keeping in mind.

ED has steadily been adding bits and pieces to the Hornet and Viper since they released so they will eventually get done but it is up to you if you are down to wait for that.

FireManDan, I have played DCS about 3 years (since i had VR and it was the only flying sim at time that supported it) and since then bought up all modules and got hundreds of hours in it.

FC3 will be a let down for you after the a10c, as it is simplified (low def some call it) models. You asked F14 vs F16.

I disagree with mike, and the F18 is probably as complete and up-to-par as the A10c is now (i wouldn't have said that 6 months ago).

If your choice is between F16 and F14, and you favour carrier plane and pheonix, then clearly F14 is for you. The F16 is not a carrier plane, and while at some point, they may add the hook option (there's a switch in the cockpit) - this is for land based wire traps - there is no catapult/launch bar system. the much older F5 module in DCS also has this, a hook but no catapult. Yes you can land on carrier, but you won't be able to takeoff from it again (unless you run across the whole deck with a very light load - not practical).

Other differences between the F14/F16:

F16 is much more modern, so flybywire aside, you have a much more advanced datalink (its a better version of the a10c's datalink, you have SAM sites marked on map, with threat ring ranges, as well as friendly/enemy aircraft). The F14 has a very much older basic datalink, that displays aircraft, with much less detail, but at least they are marked.

The f14 obviously is multi-crew, so if you have a friend in DCS or someone interested, they can fly with you in the same plane, operating the radars and weapons systems (its a lot to learn, aka RIO, and they can't ever fly the plane, once you start mission, thats it. if you choose to fly alone, jester (AI) will do that job for you, and is pretty good all things considered).

It can carry a big load out - 14x Mk82 bombs, plus 2 fuel bags, plus 2aim9s & 2 pheonix's at once. To use stuff like laser guided bombs, lantirn (TGP) you wlil require real life RIO, the AI can't use that.

But with jester AI, you can use a smaller, built in camera up front the F14 (bit like the harriers built in camera) to get some CCRP bombs off, as well as CCIP mode. It also has a well implemented auto-land function for the carrier traps.

It is a really good plane for both CAS and CAP, and fun to fly.

F16 has land based ILS, and a Helemt mounted display (if you have VR or trackIR, you can "look" at the enemy in visual range to get a lock, both for radar and for IR missile seeker )

The A10C was probably the best module in the game until the last year, when F14, and F18 both matured into decent modules. The F16 will likely be up there too, sometime this year, but if I had to get rid of every module I own, and only keep 4, those 4 would likely be it.

Certainly in combat servers, I use all those 4, alongside harrier and KA50 (helo). so yeah, go ahead, you'll be happy with either choice, and don't take F18 off the table for a future purchase - you have many more options with it (harpoon, TGP, glider bombs, anti radiation missiles, the Link16, fuel mangagement - upto 80 waypoints - the cat has 3.)

Hope some of this helps.

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.

I humbly disagree that the F-18 is anywhere as complete as the A-10. I optimistically hope it will be in the not too distant future, but I think that's a stretch at this moment.

It really depends what you want to get out of the sim. Personally I agree withrandomTOTEM. When jumping into a fighter, it's not so much about learned what every toggle switch does in the pit, it's a completely different world in terms of tactics, maneuvers; A2A is much more about strategy than playing with toys in the cockpit.

For that reason, I'd say FC3 is a great starting point. It's a great value that gives you 6 toys to play with, and lets you focus on the important aspects of A2A. It also helps you to understand you enemy, red or blue, as you get exposure to the pros/cons of each. After you've mastered that, if that's even possible, then you can get into a 14/16/18 and go the next level.

Like I said, it's really what you want to get out of it. You want to spend a few weeks learning how to start the engines, or do you have to engage in A2A combat? Just because the pit isn't fully modeled/clickable doesn't give you any disadvantage. If I was in a 1:1 competition today and had a pick, I'd take the FC3 F-15 all day against the current lineup.

I have another suggestion, which is to pretend you are a real life fighter pilot in training and start with the F-5E before moving onto a gen 3/4 advanced fighter. The F-5 is a great starter fighter with clickable pit. It's not got complex or modern systems but is easy to start, fun to fly, and hard to master. You can also fly the "Mig-28" variant too. ;-)

You don't have to learn the F-5, and you could jump straight into a modern fighter, but you'd be missing out on a great module.

PC specs:

F-5 is the best option for starting out. It's full fidelity, but also simple and easy to use. So much so the Talon training jet was based off of the F-5.

I don't recommend FC3, you'll be disappointed.

F-14 is probably the most satisfying in the end. It's complex, but mostly in the number of switches and controls than by the number of systems. It's also a two seater, so if you've got a pal it's a lot of fun there as well, for you or your pal to be a RIO.

The F/A-18 is the most complex fighter. It takes quite a bit to wrap the head around, but if you chip away at it you'll get it. It's not as powerful of an airframe as the F-14 may be, but it's a lot more multipurpose and precise.

Luckily, all these aircraft are simple and easy to fly. The trouble is having the practice of memory to properly utilize the systems

Edited by Magic Zach

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Agree re Hornet , but get the plane that trips your trigger . Ultimately , nothing else matters .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

If you're just getting ONE, then hands down the F/A-18C. If someone told me I could only keep either the F-14 or the F-18, I'd flush the F-14 off my hard drive in about a half second, and mind you I really really like Heatblur's F-14.

The F-18 can do air to air fantastically, it can do the silly 1v1 guns only dogfights fantastically, AND it has far better options for air to ground than the F-14. Beyond that, the carrier landing physics of the F-18 are better and quite challenging, while the F-14 is a bit simplified currently which lets you basically flop onto the carrier without even trying (not that the Tomcat isn't difficult to fly, it is, but landing is silly easy). There's just more options available to the F-18, and I personally think ED has better quality across the board in the F-18 and F-16 than the F-14.

That being said, if you really love DCS you're going to end up getting the F-14 and the F-16, and all the others. Even though I'm pretty committed to only using naval jets, I have an itch for the F-16 and will probably get it eventually.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Yes I know 1 is fly by wire and other isnt.

I'd say that this is one main point.

I have a couple of FBW modules (except the F16 and JF17). To me all of them feel boring. You are more of a systems manager than a pilot. It feels more like playing a game rather than actually flying an aircraft (strange sentence regarding a simulation, but there you go...). If you like learning systems, particularly radar, then go for it, otherwise, I'd actually recommend to have a look at the F5. Or any of the Russian non-FC3 planes.

The drawback of the F14 is, to me, the multicrew aspect.

I think that if you have someone who can fly as RIO or pilot, the F14 can be an absolutely amazing. But if you don't, I think you'll miss that. I don't have the F14 for that reason.

I'll probably pick up both the F16 and the F14 at a sale sometime in the future but right now I can't justify $80 for a module which I think I'll hardly fly.

In the end it's about what you want from it. I don't do multiplayer so "being the best" or "flying the best aircraft" is meaningless to me. I want to feel like I'm actually flying / piloting. To me that means non-FBW and (mostly) analog cockpit. The aircraft that "do it" for me are actually the Albatros, the MiG-15 and the Viggen... But if you prefer Imperial gauges and want to learn basic radar skills / more complex avionics than 1950's level, then the F5 is a good choice. Or the Viggen (metric cockpit) for A2G.

Edited by Zius

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

F/A-18C gets vote here.

I have been flying F-16C since release, and today tried Hornet again. It is somewhat far easier to handle, you get to keep up with Tom Cat and Falcon well. Far nicer MFCD operations and somewhat just better aircraft.

There is just something that makes it feel more as a pure righter than falcon is.

IMHO all trainers etc are useless unless you are up to them in reality. F-5 is nice as third world country missions, but that is it. In my opinion all trainers should allow in multiplayer a option for module owner to let anyone sit in the front seat and fly with them, as long they have it installed. It defines purpose to require everyone buy the module to learn to fly with someone else. Better spent money on actual aircraft if purpose is to learn to fly and fight.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I can't believe I'm the first guy to suggest the JF-17. Its the most modern fighter in DCS, and its basically complete unlike the F18/16. Its multirole, it does everything reasonably well. It has a few EA bugs but those are being sorted out very quickly. And the developer has said they will add AAR as an option soon, and possibly other more modern features if current real-world militaries adopt them.

Its easily my favorite module in DCS at the moment.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Love how the OP is thinking about the F-14 or the F-16 and almost everyone is suggesting the Hornet. Well, i walk the line.

Hornet, definately Hornet. Most versatile jet in DCS imo, excellent dogfighter when flown to it´s strength (AoA authority), lots of different ordonance (literally everything the Navy has to offer) and a hell of a ground pounder also at stand-off. Not finished but very much mission capable and significantly more polished than it´s Air Force cousin.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

If you're flying single player, the F-14 is going to have its frustrating moments, such as when Jester, who can see the radar, tries to direct you to the enemy fighter, leaving you wanting to shout I'm looking 12 o'clock high, WHERE THE $&%*@`@&$*@ is he?!?!?! The thing is, in the Tomcat you really are the pilot and only the pilot, your RIO is doing all the fun stuff in terms of actually engaging the enemies, especially when the AIM-54 comes into play. If you are only going to have one fighter, the F-14 would not be my first choice.

The F/A-18 is farther along than the F-16 at the moment, although both are still missing some features. The F/A-18 is mostly complete in terms of its air-to-air capability, though, it's the air-to-ground stuff (like ground radar) that is missing. And of course, the Hornet also has the whole carrier operations stuff.

One of the best aspects of both the Hornet and Viper is that they are multirole. However, if you are looking for a fighter, this may make them slightly less interesting, although there are a few weapons that they have that are not in the Warthog, like HARM, HARPOON, JSOW, and WALLEYE (the last one I believe is only on the Hornet, and it's kinda more of a cool-to-have feature than anything you'd likely use often). But in terms of air-to-air capability, the Hornet does carry more AAMs, especially if you have to use a pair of underwing pylons for fuel.

I would probably advise against FC3 if you're used to the Hog, the difference in systems modeling is just going to make them feel like toys. The F-5 is an interesting suggestion, however I'd also suggest looking at the MiG-21 and the Mirage 2000-C as well, those are both fully finished, fully functional, and they are primarily fighters, although both have some multirole capability.

The MiG-21 can be especially challenging due to its primitve nature, and landing it will always raise your heartbeat and blood pressure since you have to come in very fast, and have little view of the runway once you're over it. No FBW, pure stick and rudder and prayer. Also no real HOTAS, so you have a choice between using the buttons in the cockpit or binding them to your stick. Also, the navigation system is rather crude using radio beacons, similar to the F-5 but even more primitive.

The Mirage 2000-C is really underappreciated. It lacks active homing missles like the AMRAAM, its Matra Super 530 is somewhat similar to the Sparrow, which adds to the challenge, and the tailless delta makes for some interesting differences in flight dynamics. It also has a complex navigation system like the Hog does, although it is very very different. However, it is FBW, like the Viper, so it has a bit of that artificial feel to the controls.

F-5 or any training jets is waste of money IMO. We play simulation anyway. Crash as much as you like and you'll still be fine.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean?

IMHO all trainers etc are useless unless you are up to them in reality. F-5 is nice as third world country missions, but that is it.

I guess it depends on what you want...

If you fly a F-5 vs a Hornet with Amraams in BVR, yes, then you will struggle.

If you want to dogfight with guns or sidewinders, then you will miss the helmet mounted sight but for the rest they are not that different.

But DCS is a sandbox sim, you can set it up however you like. You don't need the absolute best aircraft to enjoy yourself.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

The MiG-21 can be especially challenging due to its primitve nature, and landing it will always raise your heartbeat and blood pressure since you have to come in very fast, and have little view of the runway once you're over it. No FBW, pure stick and rudder and prayer. Also no real HOTAS, so you have a choice between using the buttons in the cockpit or binding them to your stick. Also, the navigation system is rather crude using radio beacons, similar to the F-5 but even more primitive.

Yes, the MiG-21 is immensely satisfying.

Due to it's ergonomics, it is pretty challenging but that makes it immensely satisfying if you master it.

The Mirage 2000-C is really underappreciated. It lacks active homing missles like the AMRAAM, its Matra Super 530 is somewhat similar to the Sparrow, which adds to the challenge, and the tailless delta makes for some interesting differences in flight dynamics. It also has a complex navigation system like the Hog does, although it is very very different. However, it is FBW, like the Viper, so it has a bit of that artificial feel to the controls.

The Mirage is a hotrod. Very fast, nimble, good climb rate.

One problem is that we get an early version, while the other 4th generation fighters we have are late versions. That puts it at a disadvantage compared to the F16 / F18.

Tomcat hands down. First, because it's a sheer joy to fly. In VR, you feel the plane. You're in it. You forget you're sitting in a seat behind a desk. You feel the shakes, the shimmies, the airframe protesting as you pull too hard on the stick.

And that's just flying around.

Then, there's the dogfighting. Very, very hard in close combat, but so satisfying if you get it right.

Then there's the cockpit interaction. It's an old plane, so you're spending a lot of time heads down throwing switches, turning dials, looking at gauges, constantly trimming, and so on.

She's a very capable bomber.

The campaign is fun.

The F-16 is a great module too, I fly her often, but, she's not nearly as satisfying to operate because of her limited attack capabilities at the moment, and she's a lot more modern, making her a lot easier to fly.

The Tomcat is a Ferrari F-40. Crazy fast, manual gearbox, no ABS, No traction control, and stunning to look at.

The F-16 is a McLaren 720S. Sleek lines, flappy paddle gearbox, all the nannies, but less thrilling to drive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Take the Hornet, it's much more versatile & has an realistic trap-model on the carrier.

The F-14 has an arcadish trap-model & the new feature development has been almost standing still for a year & nothing of the big new features HB promised has been made. I'm quite bored with the F-14, after 11 months.

And if you ain't having human RIO, forget it!

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Being a real F-14 fanboy my choice was totally easy when I was in the same Situation as you: what‘s the next module after VAEOs Hawk? Pre-purchased the Tomcat the first day when possible and got the F-5 as bridging solution when the Hawk was shut down. When the Tomcat was released, I had a lot of fun with the training missions but honestly - it didn‘t last long. As I have very limited time to fly (two little kids at home) I‘m flying most of my time offline and being online, human RIOs don‘t really appreciate pilots in training. Next to this, the F-14 performance in VR is OK but for sure the most demanding module I have.

Conclusion out of the above: the F-14 stays in the hangar whenever I‘d like to do some missions as performance in VR and Jester aren‘t that great but is still my favorite fun plane for some low level valley runs.

Therefor myrecommendation (if the only decision is F-14 vs. F-16) would be the F-16 BUT if you‘re open for other modules as well my recommendation would be the F/A-18 if you‘d like to do some carrier operations as well or the JF-17. Don‘t have the Jeff but some of my friends are totally excited about the performance and completeness of the Jeff module. I love naval aviation and therefor my preference is clear. Hornet all the way! Even as a fanboy of the Cat!

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb